Meeting Notes 2013-07-24
- Ed Biow, Nate, Kerrie, Jordan, Timon, Troy, Jenny, Marc, Ed, Matt, Matt, Deborah, Rachel
Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)
Icebreaker: Sudo in one year from now:
- More space
- More somatic awareness
- Sudo triathalon crew!
- System for supporting individuals
- Fill up standing funds
- Lots of sweet hacks on our belt
- 3D printed visitor heads
- Being a host for international community of hackers
- More cryptoparties!
- Access for underserved communities
- More open and welcoming to new folks
- We help start another hackerspace in Oakland
Announcements (Consent Agenda)
- Every Monday 7pm: LOL / Oakland Makerspace Open Hack Night (1234 23rd Avenue)
- Every Thurs. at 7PM: Oakland Wiki meetup! http://www.oaklandwiki.org
- ALSO: Take the 2014 Mayor Key Issues Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGV6N9pmpmJmHiKS8VmQAGlwJQ4mioShXyyxmrD-Kas/viewform
- Every Thurs. at 8:30pm: Mesh Networking meetup: http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh
- RADIO!!!! https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_Radio
- Regular check-in between The Public School and Sudo Room - Thursday evening Supper Club potlucks starting at 6
- We now have a shared calendar for the common space! http://2141broadway.wordpress.com/calendar/
- Sudo Room Inventory / Cleanup weekend - take the poll to find the best date! http://www.doodle.com/e8vwvvs6e24wkwy4
- Troy has resources on giving gift as a living trust.
- Timon is interested in doing a coworking space of sorts in the front room [$70/day]
- Domain Awareness Center - Occupy Oakland organizing to protest, 6pm tomorrow - http://occupyoakland.org/2013/07/stop-the-oakland-dac-surveillance-city-speak-out-at-city-council-tuesday-july-30/
- Sign up to speak on Tuesday at Oakland City Hall: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CityClerk/s/SpeakerCard/SpeakerCard/OAK032373
- Open Knowledge Meetup tomorrow, here! 7pm - https://sudoroom.org/ai1ec_event/hackyourphd-open-knowledge-meetup/?instance_id=66327
- Mesh fundraising - 6 days left! Contribute and/or spread/share widely- https://www.wepay.com/donations/oakland-community-mesh-network
- Tax Status and Organizational Structure
- Bill spoke with Danny (NB) about 501c3 umbrella-ing and Jenny spoke with James (SchoolFactory)om
- Non-profit benefits include matching donations (employees &
- Getting an LLC is cheap and easy to do, ~700/year for taxes in California
- Liz Henry is doing a lot of research on 501c3 status for the feminist hackerspace starting in SF
Old Action Items
- Ongoing: Add to the Sudo Room Neighborhood Outreach spreadsheet and take on a few to reach out to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dEdhZUJaQ3dDY2plMjMxR3BNNmJuRlE#gid=0
- Done allow comments in tamale secrets file (jordan)
New Action Items
- Research tax structures  2. [...] 3. Profit!
- Auto-reminder for weekly meetings [Bill]
- Make a flier, talking points [Jenny & Juul]
- Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Marina & Jenny
- Move more books inside Sudoroom
- Get rid of all the broken printers...
- "Who the fuck are we?" Assessing folks who've signed up to be members [in final tab on the fiscal solvency sheet]
- Talk to JC re: sudomate funds [Matt]
- Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on) MATT (out of town)
- [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
- git-ify & flow-diagram-ify our articles
- Add calendar 2141broadway.wordpress.com to Infobot's screensaver [Max]
- Library - until RPS
- Catalog - Max
- Push Articles to Github
In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues. Exchequer: Marina / Jenny Co-Facilitator:
- $1921.61 - way below our minimum!
- Pay your dues!!
- We now have lockers, part of fundraising
- Pay your dues :)
- Review and consensus process:
- Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7
- Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
- Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
Amendments to the Articles of Association
- Threshold to become a card-carrying member [symbolic and/or access]
- RFID Access
- hours/shifts to keep sudoroom open!
- access status:
- is the elevator continuing to be locked?
- help with TIL: needs to be better promoted.
- reach out to public school & free skool to post on calendars
- help Rachel fix her laptop
- lockers / fundraising
- sudo room shifts / keeping space open
- access issues [door, rfid, elevator]