Meeting Notes 2013-08-28
Attendance / Icebreaker
- Icebreaker: DIY Icebreaker
- Bill (hamster dance), Jonathan (simpsons), Liberty (internet), Marc (cryptoanarchy), Ryan (being born!), Laurie (hiphop), Jordan (first photo of the earth), Jenny (rave culture), Matt
Announcements (Consent Agenda)
- Every Monday 7pm: LOL / Oakland Makerspace Open Hack Night, Decolonizing Technology (1234 23rd Avenue)
- Every Thurs. at 7PM: Oakland Wiki meetup! http://www.oaklandwiki.org
- ALSO: Take the 2014 Mayor Key Issues Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGV6N9pmpmJmHiKS8VmQAGlwJQ4mioShXyyxmrD-Kas/viewform
- Every Thurs. at 8:30pm: Mesh Networking meetup: http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh
- RADIO!!!! https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_Radio
- Regular check-in between The Public School and Sudo Room - every Thursday evening - Supper Club potlucks starting at 6
- Sudo Kids Tuesdays at 6pm
- Community Democracy Project - For participatory budgeting in the city of Oakland.
- Democracy Days! - Saturday 10:30-2pm Sun 2-5pm @ 570 14th St Suite #3 (upstairs) - http://communitydemocracyproject.org
- They are seeking to collect 40,000 signatures within the next 180 days!
- A seed of a book, open for collaboration about creative communities and hackerspaces, including sudo room's inspirations, stories, history, and more! http://github.com/wrought/a-place-on-every-block
- Interest in a teen program / meetup at sudo!
- Info Day this Saturday, 12-6 > https://sudoroom.org/ai1ec_event/cryptoparty-a-digital-security-workshop-lightning-talks/?instance_id=66908
- Next week is First Friday! New Economy Huddle will feature the following affinity groups- Social Justice, Permaculture, Education, Technology, Arts/Media, Travel & Exploration
Old Action Items:
- Add to the Sudo Room Neighborhood Outreach spreadsheet and take on a few to reach out to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dEdhZUJaQ3dDY2plMjMxR3BNNmJuRlE#gid=0
- Everyone? Jenny has added! Rabbit added! You should too!
- 1. Research tax structures  2. [...] 3. Non-Profit! [Danny, Brendan] plus
- Action Item: Become a California Non-profit Corporation - Brendan proposes this for discussion meeting on August 21st and August 28th. This is to be followed by the August 31st Today I Learned session on hacking the articles of association.
- Auto-reminder for weekly meetings [Bill, and Nate]
- group me? *Jenny will ping Bill
- Make a flier, talking points [Jenny & Juul]
- Jenny & Juul - copy, Anthony - lettering, Substack - art!
- Talk to JC re: sudomate funds [Jenny, Ray]
- Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on)
- [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
- git-ify & flow-diagram-ify our articles of association - Brendan
- Add calendar 2141broadway.wordpress.com to Infobot's screensaver [Max]
- Library - until RPS
- Catalog - Max
New Action Items
- We need someone to reboot the radio room
- Set up info list
- Announce bitcoin wallet address and post to site (jenny !@ juul)
In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues.
- Exchequer: Marina / Jenny / Bill
- Pay your dues!!
- We now have lockers, part of fundraising
- Review and consensus process:
- Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7
- Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
- Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
Current balance (Wed Aug 28): $1875.29
Amendments to the Articles of Association
- membership discussion
- voting vs non-voting members distinguished by a minimal barrier to entry (pay dues or fulfill some needed sudo function, like keeping the space open for x hours/week)
- 24/7 access
- web of trust model w/ granUlar access controls
- trial membership
- badges for participation
- defining concrete tasks: cleaning, exchequing, keeping the space open
- use the timebank
- benefits- 24/seven access, member profile, voting
- fab fifty (public school model)
- kicking people out
- discussions about the mess? (the mess in the mess?)