Meeting Notes 2013-09-04
Attendance / Icebreaker
- Icebreaker: What's the first thing you took apart.
Attendees: Liberty, Jenny, Jordan, Marc, Jonathan, Matt, JC, Troy, Marina, Ryan,
Announcements (Consent Agenda)
- Check the Sudo Room Calendar for the next week's events, and major monthly events:
- ALSO: Take the 2014 Mayor Key Issues Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGV6N9pmpmJmHiKS8VmQAGlwJQ4mioShXyyxmrD-Kas/viewform
- sign-ups https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrUsz7z5DodDVaZnJ4TW1ndC1jd1ZYejFhUmRoWXc#gid=0
- Community Democracy Project - For participatory budgeting in the city of Oakland. http://communitydemocracyproject.org
- A seed of a book, open for collaboration about creative communities and hackerspaces, including sudo room's inspirations, stories, history, and more! http://github.com/wrought/a-place-on-every-block
- Add to the Sudo Room Neighborhood Outreach spreadsheet and take on a few to reach out to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dEdhZUJaQ3dDY2plMjMxR3BNNmJuRlE#gid=0
- Everyone? Jenny has added! Rabbit added! You should too!
Old Action Items:
- Membership/bylaw/access hacking
- 1. Research tax structures  2. [...] 3. Non-Profit! [Danny, Brendan] plus
- Action Item: Become a California Non-profit Corporation - Brendan proposes this for discussion meeting on August 21st and August 28th. This is to be followed by the August 31st Today I Learned session on hacking the articles of association.
- Auto-reminder for weekly meetings [Bill, and Nate]
- Make a flyer, talking points [Jenny & Juul]
- Jenny & Juul - copy, Anthony - lettering, Substack - art!
- Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on)
- [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
- git-ify & flow-diagram-ify our articles of association - Brendan
- Add calendar 2141broadway.wordpress.com to Infobot's screensaver [Max]
- Library - until RPS
- Catalog - Max
New Action Items
- We need someone to reboot the radio room
- Announce bitcoin wallet address and post to site (jenny !@ juul)
- Sudo Kids legal waiver
- upgrade wordpress & plugins
- Blitz on possible spaces with new funding strategy [Matt]
In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues.
- Exchequer: Marina / Jenny / Bill
- Pay your dues!!
- We now have lockers, part of fundraising
- Review and consensus process:
- Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7
- Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
- Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
Current balance (Wed Sept. 4): $2,152.52
- Sudo Mate makes $50 a batch.
- how often do batches happen?
Amendments to the Articles of Association
- Protocols for dealing with violations, given a variety of scenarios?
- On Saturday night, a person who'd been asked by several members to leave after physically assaulting a sudoer in the space, who'd failed to engage with the conflict resolution process and had shown up several times since, was ushered from the space by a number of sudo room and public school members. In-meeting consensus is to ban Ariel from 2141 Broadway, with one week's notice for a final consensus to be reached next week.
- We now have no way to get in contact with Tabitha, Arielle's sister, since Tabitha gave Arielle her phone.
- New space options / possible CCL collaboration: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Space
- General sense of sudoroom's values:
1. Appreciation for the existing assets and resources existent in sudo room (eg common space) 2. Excellent opportunity to collaborate with Counter Culture Labs to share space (economy of scale) 3. Excellent opportunity to continue collaborating with the Public School 4. MORE AUTONOMY. ALWAYS.
- Sudo-kids on thin ice
- Assumption that sudo kids vandalized the space. People kept drawing penises in the bathroom.
- "Children (under 18) should not be in the space except when accompanied by their parent(s) with advance notice to us."
1. Address the bathroom vandalism issue and disambiguate it. 2. We have a family-oriented night with adult supervision, which would occur regularly on Tuesdays. We require that all children be here with parent supervision. 3. How do we remain accessible to people of all age groups? 4. If there is a regular kids/family event, someone needs to assume responsibility (ambiguous?)