Meeting Notes 2014-09-24
Jump to navigation Jump to search
sudoroom meeting september 24, 2014
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Announcements
- 3 New Members
- 4 Newbie Night
- 5 Money
- 6 Omni
- 7 Consensus Items
- 8 Conflict Resolution
- 9 video
- 10 Action Items
- say your name, pronoun, and a message for elliot http://boingboing.net/2014/09/22/arrests-and-outrage-at-flood-w.html
- yar; we support you at sudoroom!
- jenny; and we thought you were on vacation!
- greg; haven't met you but support
- winston; go elliot
- ian; dude apparently i wanted to meet you but you're not here
- marc; we are putting up a poster of you as soon as the printer works
- scott; dude, wow!!!
- real vegan cheese owns a shiny new projector
- sudo can borrow it
- where to put it? on the robot?
- now meshing the omni!!!!
- rosh hashana fruit is being served - apples, honey, pomegranates
- BACH Unconference organizing meeting this Friday at 7pm!
- Talk on the Real Vegan Cheese crowdfunding campaign next Monday at 7pm
- why? Sudo rocks!
- Been stopping by for a year or so
- wanna hack robots. wanna mesh robots.
- share free workstations & satellite dishes
- Not an undercover cat (or cop)
- Has not been banned from a hackerspace
- getting into RF
- why does the mesh network work from marc's laptop but not his phone?
- why? hackerspaces are awesome. we're his first one in CA.
- has been to one in denver. was never kicked out
- gonna put arch on his macbook
- tried to beam internet across a big parking lot
- excited to hack his 1st gen mac pro and make it run arch
- not a cop
- wants an office at omni, trying to figure out how
- replaces windows servers with linux and stuff
- but interested in sudoroom separately from the omni office motive
- wants to learn and teach awk. awkward.
- wants to be surrounded by interesting inspiring projects all the time
- favorite conspiracy theory - alien antigravity technology
- has a gigantic van to help move stuff
- yar just made this: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/New_Member_Script
- we should also work on a new member pamphlet to hand to folks
- Alex wasn't able to host yesterday, will do next Tuesday instead
- Korl may do it on the 3rd week of October
- Whoever hosts is responsible for: 1) adding event to the calendar, 2) posting to sudo-discuss and otherwise promoting, 3) showing up! and 4) answering the door, giving tours, and otherwise being friendly and answering questions. 5) have a planned activity ready to avoid awkwardness
- $420 on ~*._~gratipay~_.*~
- omni's electric bill 8/19-9/19: $915 fucking dollars
- solar panels? we have roof access next week
- $2882.48 in ICU
- $1k in CBOB
- 0.2387 bitcoin
- check for $120 from insurance or something
please join working groups!
- Working Groups in need of rad sudoers!
- Challenging Dominant Cultures - Saturdays at 11am - yar
- Communications - rarely meets! 1-2x/month Mondays @ 7 - firstname.lastname@example.org - next mtg Monday 10/6 - jenny
- Finances - biweekly Tuesdays @ 7pm - see http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Calendar - hol & niki
- Facilitating Collectivity - Tuesdays at 7pm - jenny
- fundraising mondays - marc & noemie
- Space Ops - Talk to Stephen from BAPS - doesn't really exist?
- Ballroom - moving to Tuesday nights. noemie has to leave by 7.
- Building Maintenance - yar doesn't know when they "meet" but sure went to home depot a lot last week
please be a delegate!
- Rotating delegates: yar, jenny, matt, patrick (in training), Korl (in training), you?
- patrick can be the delegate this week & next
- julio can do it after that
- winston is here!
- omni music project - proposal to start out as a tenant at $400/mo and then eventually become a member collective
- will start out just storing instruments, etc. flexible, whatever we want it to be.
- was paying somebody else for storage anyway
- super excited about it!
- he's been a musician & recording engineer for a long time
- also has a background working with autistic kids (works with scott)
- alana is also great
- formative stages of infrastructure - will be extremely open
- gonna build a control room, have a bunch of musical instruments, create an environment of fostering education and support
- gonna have BAPS classes
- from recording to performance
- wants to work with kids
- what does your group need to be successful?
- time & space!
- have equipment already - need a place to do it, time to do it
- did a compilation tape for SNAPS (Special Needs Activity ... ...)
- where does your money go? how do you license your music?
- mostly been casual informal understandings so far
- art for art's sake. if they can benefit good orgs, they want to. but also want to be sustainable.
- Sudoroom & CCL have rules about licensing of materials
- less concerned about making money than about freedom to remix & reuse
- open to learning new wasy to do things that "isn't reliant on that fucking devil machine out there"
- what about when you rent out a future recording studio to other artists?
- maybe negotiate a temporary restricted license?
- marc likes the model of charging more for artists who want restricted licensed
- how to join?
- access & membership might be tiered?
- would have classes, training sessions
- not sure. just worrying right now about teaching ppl to touch shit safely.
- trying to be open, increase access
- more detail - what precisely do you want to do with the space?
- how to modify? no, abstractly.
- there'd be a control room with board, computers, monitors, outboard gear, instruments, etc
- could be modular, used for BAPS if someone has keys
- library reading room would stay as-is. books are great insulators & diffusors. wants to build gobos out of bookshelves on wheels. shape room acoustically with bookshelves. dewey decimal card-catalog for storing microphones. good for isolation for those other rooms, but don't need to use them when they're not recording.
- this is all eventually. right now they're just asking to be a month-to-month tenant and get to know us better.
- marc wants to be very clear that they will be responsible for their stuff including locking the door and getting insurance for their stuff, etc
- also be clear that they shouldn't have an expectation that we will accept them as a full collective right away or ever
- who thinks sudo should vote yes? 6. abstains, blocks? no.
Buying and installing light timers
PROPOSAL : EMPOWERING WORKING GROUPS & BALANCING WORK AT THE OMNI
- yar says block. it's a sneaky way of abolishing consensus.
PROPOSAL : KIDS ROOM & KIDS WORKING GROUP
- is this gonna be a commercial space or not a space for children?
- jake: children don't care about commerce
- "La Commune would like to stock this room with used books available for children to read."
- Sudo requests a single point of contact / bottom-liner, and to hold off on 'stocking books' immediately in that space.
- The Kids Working Group should decide what to put in that room.
- patrik points out that real childcare requires lots of permits
- hackermoms already solved these problems, let's seek their leadership
- Sudo Room is still waiting for a refined proposal from/about Rise Above so that we can consent to:
- Building modifications
- Lease terms
- First, last, deposit
tenancy definition & cap
- 9 say we should vote yes, 4 abstentions
- Confusion over the language
- Can't we just vote on a case-by-case basis?
- Funds split equally
- Funds split depending on individual collective need/interest
- Specific fundraisers for projects
- Grey areas: The OOC received loans for specific things
- consent on it but specify that it can be overridden by future omni consensus
- ultimate conclusion: needs more clarification on what it applies to
member collective stewardship agreement
- this sounds like it would lead us to an HR department
- can we consent to the privilege of having to pay for your volunteer work?
- Matthew Stevenson asked to leave for reasons of safety
- been domineering & intimidating everybody, trying to convince you he has power & connections
- told DK that he's "a hit-man", offered to murder people
- he was asked to leave, and told he could come to a sudo room meeting to appeal his case
- offered opportunity to come to sudoroom to appeal, obviously is not here
- hasn't participated in anything, just comes in to sleep on the couch
- was creeping on noemie
permanently banning him from sudoroom for reasons of safety?
- 11 yes, 1 abstained
film collective is preparing fundraising video
- 1-shot walkthrough of the omni full of people doing what they do
- think of ways sudoroom can look awesome!
- which activity would you like to be seen doing?
- filming will happen Sunday October 5th starting at noon
- the robot will be filming too
- you can wear superhero costumes
- starting to compile it all and give us access
- Workshop on Friday the 3rd to review the current omni footage using interlace/video vortex video clip sharing web app
- let's fix internet in the basement please?
- Document incidents on the omni wiki
- Finish Stripe and set up Everbutton [Jenny] (Ron willing to help on this if needed / extending it)
- Investigate business license [Jenny]
- pamphlet to give new members
- upload our shit to http://openinclusivity.org/
- yar will initiate a locker census
- give blurb about sudo to omni fundraising committee
- set up a work party for electrification [Jenny]
- Ask Marc to be a liason with East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse
- fill out the omni's financial questionaire [jenny]