Meeting Notes 2014-10-08
- 1 Icebreaker: say one word
- 2 Announcements
- 3 New Members
- 4 Newbie Night
- 5 Money
- 6 Omni
- 7 Naomi Klein Event
- 8 Community Print Studio Re-Proposal
- 9 La Commune Lockability Proposal
- 10 Oakland Nights Live
- 11 Consensus Items
- 12 Conflict Resolution
- 13 Action Items
Icebreaker: say one word
- ben turtles
- patrick hungry
- jonathan duck
- yar computer
- timothy glass
- matt nails
- alice late
- brendan tobacco
- boyd boyd
- Update on Omni fundraiser video this past Sunday 10/05
- 2014 BACH Unconference happening HERE, this weekend (at omni) Oct 11-12 (Sat-Sun)
- Show up on Fri Oct 10 night (7pm-ish) to help set-up for the weekend ;)
- Help plan, contact @tunabananas (Jenny) or @wrought (Matt)
- Sudo Mesh thursday meetings are for outreach, tuesday nights are for tech/dev
- New Omni Commons email lists: https://omnicommons.org/lists/
- einstein for mayor http://www.einsteinforoakland.org/
- Join Omni Fundraising Committee / Working Group / Cabal (OMG WE NEED YOU)
- Finding next meeting time: http://doodle.com/dak8z3b8yyn6en3g
- Chris is now a member
- why? space to work on interesting projects, meet ppl, exchange ideas
- what hack? autonomous robots w/CV & giant claws. robots mostly.an
- what share? ROBOTS. intro to programming class. maybe as a BAPS class, or CWI. also antarctica.
- likes sudoroom's values. FOSS proponent. been following hackerspaces since the beginning, esp NYCR.
- was following sudo before the move
- never banned
- 23 or 203
- can't pay with a card, but can pay cash
- why? wants access to tools, equipment, people, & knowledge. contribute them too
- what hack? doesn't know yet
- what share? japanese woodworking tools. time.
- values? not intimately. hung around noisebridge. likes FOSS & nonhierarchical.
- knows very little of history
- lives 2 blocks from omni
- tech guilt
- skills? wiring, construction, soldering, AVRs, C coding, robotics, renovated a victorian, homebrewing
- korl was supposed to do it today, apparently it didn't happen
- this is the 3rd week in a row of newbie night flakery
- timothy will do it next wednesday 5-7
- Whoever hosts is responsible for: 1) adding event to the calendar, 2) posting to sudo-discuss and otherwise promoting, 3) showing up! and 4) answering the door, giving tours, and otherwise being friendly and answering questions. 5) have a planned activity ready to avoid awkwardness
- Internet Credit Union account: $
- Community Bank of the Bay Account: $
- $400/wk on Gratipay
still in major deficit
- Tomorrow's delegates: ?
So far here's what we have: https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom
- folding ballroom wg into commons wg
- Moving the kitchen
- Upstairs shower as washout room
- print studio & TIL
- safer space & conflict resolution policies
- 7/7 sudo members approve of them. yay!
- La Commune lockability
- BAPS space-sharing
- break-out discussions during meetings about money and "commons"
- raising a flag
- meeting semiweekly
- splitting allocations
- kids working group
- proposal for proposals
- mandatory rotation of facilitator, stacktaker, etc
Naomi Klein Event
- We're supposed to send two attendees for a "teach-in"?
- niki <firstname.lastname@example.org> "Please send me the names of the two members of your collective who will be attending the Naomi Klein teach-in by this weekend so that I can send them to the event organizer!"
- jonathan is interested!
Community Print Studio Re-Proposal
- old proposal: http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Print_Studio_Proposal_v1
- new proposal: http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Print_Studio_Proposal_v2
Matt blocks because it lacks:
- Clearly articulated community angle that benefits the commons
- Provide some vision/values that explain to everyone how the resources and tools provide benefit everyone (eg; more than a letterpress, can we also support technologies like risograph + xerox for zine-sters, occu-copy-style resource, etc?)
- Consider space needs and possible alternatives
- noise & ventilation
- decision making structure and how do members relate to one another?
- how do we get in touch? is there a printing-press-collective email list?
yar's framing: there's this spectre of micromanagement. but they're not just asking for space, they're asking for a highly discounted space. so the question is why should the omni give them such a huge discount. the answer should be "because we benefit the commons in these ways and have these values" and again, the proposal doesn't articulate that in a way that feels accountable.
Reason why "block" is not necessarily a valuable word for this:
Consensus process is not a reduction to a decision-making procedure.
Last Week's Discussion
This Week's Discussion
- Leave the stuff there for now, we all know it's not going to be easy to move at the moment.
- Table this item to spend some time nurturing your community, express your collective (shared) values, make a firm commitment to community use, (manifestos, declarations, etc).
- One option is to pick a minimum a number of hours to commit to being open to the public, e.g. 24 hours per week.
What I said on Oct 1: Some concerns: Clearly articulated community angle that benefits the commons Provide some vission/values that explain to everyone how the resources and tools provide benefit everyone (eg; more than a letterpress, can we also support technologies like risograph + xerox for zine-sters?) Consider space needs and possible alternatives noise & ventilation decision making structure and how do members relate to one another? how do we get in touch? is there a printing-press-collective email list?
La Commune Lockability Proposal
- Update from La Commune & Jake about plans to identify and then solve lockability problems.
Oakland Nights Live
Concerning the next Mayoral debate scheduled for Oct 11 (Sat) -- feedback and open discussion from sudo based on experience with last debate.