Meeting Notes 2015-02-04
sudoroom mtg - 4 February, 2015 Sudoroom, 7pm, every Wednesday. Bring a conch!
- Facilitator: ryan
- Note Taker: juul
Ice-breaker question: If you had to only eat two flavors of ice cream for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- wrought (local)
- remote-yar: i wish for the "infinite further wishes" flavored ice cream
- remote-jenny :) ~ chocolat ftw
- remote-noematic: chocolat
- lois: i would choose vanilla and the rainbow sherbert.
- aheri / ardueen: Just discovered mochi. Any mochi. I do not care. Give it to me.
- Rayc: Cheap moose tracks knock-off ice cream from the mission.
- Niko: Rocky road and its-its cookie sandwiches.
- sam: vanilla/almond, death by chocolate (note-taker lost track)
- ryan: coffee - shiner-bock(sp?)
- 5c077: strawberry cheesecake and apple-pie (btw there's an anti-police organizing meeting downstairs and there's like 8 cop-cars outside)
- for more info visit ftp://ftp.ftp.ftp
- st nick: mint chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie-dough
- shawn: chocolate and?
- keenan: probably rocky road and lemon
- Do we have Quorum?
- Kind of sort of. We can achieve quorum if desired by pulling in CCLers.
- Skipping to announcements. Will go back to new members in a bit.
- Newbie Night handout:https://docs.google.com/a/revolution.cheap/document/d/1vfFPQ8SLofTN8OWc0eshyGTRCVZaCrvrFPhAzXsl6fA/edit?usp=sharing
- Please comment with events not listed already
- Make shareable to 'everyone with the link'?
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/New_Member_Script (To be discussed!) https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Values (fyi - to be discussed today: https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Articles_of_Association%2FImproving_membership&diff=9220&oldid=9216 )
- Introduction: My name is (ardueen). I was born in North Carolina in 1980. I was most interested in french and language studies. After which I got a boring job in washington d.c. which I eschewed for becoming a fun-employed electornics / programmer. Recently graduated from the first cyberwizard.
- Was at the Impact Hub for some sort of visioning event. My vision was to have a space. A hackerspace. Where creating value is more the motivation than capital. Several people then mentioned sudo room.
- What do you think of sudo room's values: Having eschewed government employment I compare that to sudo room's devaluation of e.g. the military and hierarchy in favor of sharing instead of capital. I also see that there's a sharing culture with a value of responsibility. I am sitting here because I want to contribute. I want to take on responsibilities.
- Why do you want to be a sudo room member: At the moment I'm benefitting from people who are willing to share their information. By becoming a member it would formalize that it is a reciprocal relationship.
- WHat do you want to do at sudo room: I want to build robots and I want to teach other people. I bring some experience from a place I was called Nova Labs (not a hackerspace as such, but had a lot of open appeal). I have a bunch of connections to a few hundred people working on awesome stuff like rocketry and geeked out 3d printers. Leverage existing tools to build new ones. I feel like that ties into abolishing white supremacy because you can leverage existing toos (note-taker is failing at summarizing).
- What's your plan to abolish sexual violence, police brutality and white supremacy? in 10 words or less <-- yar is trolling us from afar this is a great question but I don't think it belongs officially in the interview questions.
- Who do you know from sudo room and how long have you been spending time here? marina, substack, max (notconfusing) have become valueable points of contacts and I hope friends.
- Have you ever been banned from a hackerspace or other collective: No.
- I am an agent only of my own. I am a self-employed Aheri, and I am the only one.
- Are you an undercover cat: (makes red dwarf reference).
- Could read captcha. Not robot.
- Introduction: Hello. I am Rachel. I teach yoga in the disco room. We're an independent (non-member) collective.
- How did you hear about sudo room: I was and am still working on something called Peer Library. Through someone there I met Matt, Noemie and Jenny. Started working on the CCL EEG machine a bit but then gave up on it. Started coming in to hang in the Omni. I also do things on the computer but don't know if I can offer more skills than existing members.
- Why do you want to be a member: I use the equipment here and have friends who are members. It would make sense to pay $10 bucks a month.
- What do you want to hack or learn at sudo room: I don't want to take up anyones time to teach any particular skill. I want to use equipment and hang out here and learn things about interacting with humans.
- What do you want to share with or teach at sudo: Anything I know that you want to know. Jury rigging things? I probably won't do things without teaching people how to do them. I brought a guitar and it's over there.
- Values: I know that sudo room has many values that I can put isms on. I see how things are handled here day to day and that people have each others back.
- Ryan reads the sudo room values aloud.
- Ever been banned: no.
- Who do you know, if anyone: Knows Ryan, Matt, Nico. I know Rayc.
- Are you a cop, undercover cop or agent: No
- Are you a cat: mew
- Are you an undercover cat: no
- Passed the captcha.
New members who applied last week
How to pay membership dues and/or donate to Sudo!
- Gratipay is our online method. https://gratipay.com/sudoroom
- Cash to Jenny Ryan, Matt Senate, Max Klein, or Marc Juul
Sudo or Omni related announcements.
- RAYC: Jake led hardware hacking and it was awesome. Tuesdays at 7pm!
- Niko: working with null to make a sheet for newbie night to physically handing away; thinks all of the events are on there, but if anyone knows of regular scheduled events that aren't on the wiki, please share.
Breakdown of Sudo expenses, budgeting, etc.
- Our Monthly Expenses: ~$2500
- Sudo Rent: $2,000/ month
- Sudo Utilies: ~$500
- Total Outgoing: ~$14,000
- $___/ week on Gratipay
- $___ in the Internet Credit Union account - Closed yet? If,
- $___ worth of bitcoin.
- $___ in Community Bank of the Bay account
- Total Incoming: ~$4,000
- Have we paid rent for February? Yes :) :D
- Are we screwed in March? All signs point to YES unless someone like you cares a whole whole lot
- Are we screwed in April? .........
- Are we playing out some elaborate prisoner's dilemma every month? yes
- Pay dues! https://gratipay.com/sudoroom
Discuss any current events/issues related to Sudo or Omni. Please remember that some topics may not be suitable for non-members, or should be first taken through our Safer Spaces procedures.
- Improvements to New Member process:
Current Sudo proposals to be voted on by members.
Major things we need to do to make Sudo better, faster, stronger, safer, cleaner, and more efficient.
- Doorbell for Sudoroom at the main Omni entrance?
- Keypad/Card/NFC on Sudo/CCL main entrance?
- Media Library
- Sudo/CCL Lights : LED
Little things we can do now to make Sudo better, faster, stronger, safer, cleaner, and more efficient.
- Take the trash out!
- Clean up the tables!
- Unplug anything that isn't being used!
Delegate's Agenda Items
Proposals on the to be discussed/voted upon at the Thursday delegates meeting.
Creation of a "Quiet" Room
- as an intentional space for people to decompress or mark themselves as "Not Available" for other reasons. - Ryan deilann 2/3