Below is a brainstorm of ideas regarding the ins and outs of Sudo Room membership. These items are not necessarily officially endorsed by Sudo Room, but are kept for their historicity and as a reference guide when deciding upon future membership guidelines.
Do we have it?
- Should "member" be the term used? What about participant/ supporter/ Sudo-Agent? (Patrik: we can call them whatever we want internally, but for the elevator pitch we should refer to them as "members", because that is what people understand.)
Does it confer special privileges?
- making decisions
- keys to space
- ability to reserve facilities
- access to tools/equipment?
- Discount for classes or other goods/services
- Maybe a substantive membership benefit would be that members get to invite speakers & have classes at the space without having to get larger group approval
- would anyone pay for that privilege?
- No material benefits to membership - members donate because they value the existence of the space and believe in its continued existence.
- t shirts
Are there expectations of members? What are their responsibilities?
- do work for the space/In-kind donation? What would the list of acceptable trades be?
- existing services for evaluating trades include timebank and ourvolts.
- join a sudo group
- serve on council to help make decisions
- pay dues or fees? (perhaps $50-$100/mo, with sliding scale available for starving students / unemployed)
- teach workshops or skillshares
How do you become a member?
- complete application process
- consensus or vote of membership
- fulfilling work or dues requirement