Mesh/12 December 2013
December 12th Hacknight
- Deekoo, Jeremy, Jenny, Maxb, Marc, Daniel, Deekoo, Xavier, Luis
- Jenny and Matt went to SF State to give a presentation on Sudomesh to a computer networking for business students class. Went well! It was 40 minutes long and there was a lot of eye contact! No sleeping in the back!!
- For future presentations we could set up a mesh!
- Prof is interested in tinkering with 802.11s + library in a box
- MaxB working on the build server & firmware generator - ready to do a new walkthrough for creating nodes
- Deekoo has gotten the Nanostation working (can pick up MonkeyBrains 5GHz from 2 miles away!), Nanobridge not working, wants to do range testing
- We could run the PoE off of old laptop batteries! Mounted on a pedicab! Bandwidth/speed test + spectrum analysis
- Luis is working on setting up / learning about BATMAN, interested in working on client-side interfaces
- Jeremy + Daniel did a bunch of video interviews this past weekend! Interested in education + outreach
- Daniel applied for us to receive a donation of 3 racks, 13/14 hard drives
- Jenny + Matt + Mitar spoke with Ralf from Internet Archive - Notes to be put on wiki - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Meetings
- Marc has been finishing up the node configurator, let's test it on a router tonight!
- Also working on stickers with basic info such as private SSID + password, admin login info
- Xavier interested in applications of mesh for activism
- Add a link on the site for "I'd like to get an intro to the mesh"
- Talk to technology coordinators in schools
- Local applications still in need of a portal page; Luis wants to help design the frontend
- Tech Support: Send or bring us your router and we'll give you a node
- Daniel suggests a block party to test the range of the mesh!
- Talk to people who own properties about mounting nodes on the rooftops.
- Inspiration from the FNF - convinced the owner of a housing complex to provide free Wi-Fi, after which point the chronically empty apartments were filled!
- Chris has a pretty sweet CAD design for a 3D printed enclosure for the Sparkys!
- Deekoo tested most of our 5GHz routers - 3 Nanobridges working [Checked out one], 2 not working [plz edit with correct data]
- Jenny reading Cook Report interviews w/ Altermundi & FNF folks: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Interviews_with_other_meshers#Altermundi_Interviews_.28Argentina.29
- MaxB compiling..
- Firmware generator is ready to roll! playing nicely with the node configurator
- Juul tweaking node configurator
- Scattered brainstorms
- Jenny to put Internet Archive and SFSU notes on wiki:
- Jenny update To Dos & Add Meetings/Presentations to Nav
- Daniel & Jeremy to edit video / do more interviews [Sunday]
- Marc to test node configurator on a pico
- Matt and Jenny to revamp presentation
- East Bay Broadband Consortium
- East Bay Connects helps people find affordable broadband services
- MileMesh project starting up in Hoboken, NJ
- Koruza prototype can be 3D printed! (optical wireless networks aka LASERS!)
- COOK Report on the Global Free Network Movement - Jenny's Excerpts
- PHP Network Weathermap
- LibreMap being actively developed :)
- Altermundi documentation (in Spanish)
- Altermundi projects