Mesh/12 February 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search
       People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 12 February 2019 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal X: (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Climbing Certification (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Mesh in Oaxaca (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: what's your favorite pattern on fabrics?
  • ben: he/him, my fav pattern on fabrics is the cube one that's on quilts. like three diamonds.
  • aiden: they/them, i like argyle
  • ben, he/they, paisley, tight stripes that are hard to look at
  • tyler, he/him, i'm kinda into the classic black and white checkerboard
  • marc/juul, he/him, magic eye pantings
  • robb, he/him, hard to see chinese motifs embossed on silk
  • mai, they/she/her, solid color
  • jenny, she/her, i like the pattern of my sweater which i've been wearing almost constantly during the winter
  • jmg,he/him,late arrival
  • lesley, s/he/they paisley?

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • email stewards list to stay on/be a steward (@iamai)
    • mai: lesley did it but i want to follow up because i felt like the thread went limp.
  • follow up with chuck if he doesn't respond regarding checking config on his node (@iamai)
  • write language for new hang out + newcomer night. Put it on calendars: Omni, wiki, peoplesopen.net (@iamai, @tunabananas)
    • mai did it!
  • schedule hack session for APC application (@tunabananas)
    • later. no deadline
  • ask eenblam about people who can dismantle towers re: seth's contact (@mux)
    • context: there's a huge 80 foot tower on top of a building near omni that we can have if we can take it away
    • juul: maybe should see if he wants to keep it there and we can use it where it is?
    • sounded like he would rather get rid of it. couldn't get a permit for a billboard.
    • tyler: if it doesn't work out we can get it removed.
    • tyler knows all the local hams so we can talk to them
  • follow up w/ marc about using domain names for tunneldigger config (@bennlich)
    • followed up. all is good. see tech update below

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Ubiquiti devices have critical vulnerability: https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/80685/hacking/ubiquiti-vulnerable-devices.html
    • denial of service vulnerability -- not a big deal for us. we only have a few of these deployed.
  • Benny: internet archive server is an exitnode! it's at exit2.sudomesh.org
  • ben: we don't have a consistent agreed-upon way to patch nodes. even if some nodes have juul's key we don't know who they are and can't ask for consent. Some people want to have control over their nodes and be their own operator, and there are others who would be happy to let others take care of everything.
  • juul: it's standard for internet-connected devices to auto update. it's actually seen as insecure to not have them do this
  • ben: well we don't have a Terms of Service agreement that explicitly states this.
  • robb: maybe moving forward we can default have remote access but have an agreement where people are informed about the default auto-update
  • juul: i'd rather work on moving us over to libremesh than spending too much time on upgrading the existing firmware

-- more discussion needed on what to do with existing nodes (should we just update them remotely or not)


Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • Benny: What's new with the marina?
    • jenny: Tony who we met last week was gonna connect me to a better person to talk to. no reply. I will ping again.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • eenblam: do we have a byoi coming up? feels like we're due for one.
    • Saturday April 13th tentative
    • Mai to figure out what it would cost to have the event at west oakland public library
    • jenny: Will check with East Side Arts Alliance
  • Tyler: Possible PON presentation @ ORCA Meeting March 2 @ 9am
    • mai: eve is ham licensed
      • tyler: as is seth

Aiden from People's Park Committee

  • aiden: I'm from the people's park committee and we want something better than airbears 2.
  • lesley: yes! on our todo list too.! planning to beam from my place or a nearby coop
  • juul: could also set up the calyx thing?
  • robb: need access to that building where the electricity is.
  • aiden: working on that too
  • robb: maybe the college would let you mount it on top of the roof?
  • aiden: ill look into that
  • juul: could also get a volunteer to recharge batteries
  • going to order 60GHz equipment
  • aiden: people's park commitee meets every sunday at 1pm
  • robb: what about amoeba music?
  • aiden: i know the owner--i can ask
  • jull: power + something to attach to are the basic requirements

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • Laptops 4 All
    • robb: have gotten through ~4 hours.
    • jenny: have distroed a few! started going through the pile getting inventory. on what we need to order, etc.
    • mai: what's the application process for people?
    • jenny: omnicommons.org/laptops
  • Finances work
    • jenny: swamped by property tax exemption for omni
  • Handshake Distribution Claim
    • There are a number of different ways in which you can 'claim' your HNS:
1) Via DNSSEC ownership proof, but due to SHA1 in .org records we consider this an unsafe option but appreciate that the majority of FOSS projects will have a .org domain. If your project also controls the .com or .io equivalents then this would be the preferred distribution method for us. Further information can be found at https://github.com/handshake-org/hsd#claiming-a-name 
2) Via HNS address: https://gist.github.com/boymanjor/346c06f0cf43175c46fa5739334af039 
3) Via PGP or SSH key: https://github.com/handshake-org/hs-airdrop 
    • juul: i can look into it! thanks juul
  • Purchasing of a 60GHz Microtik? Or the Metrolink? Were either of these purchased?
    • juul: No hasn't been purchased.
    • lesley and juul will meet afterwards to discuss what is needed to do the people's park mesh
== Next Sunday ==

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.

Discussion: Climbing certification

Insurance Update

  • jenny: we got a quote for general liability thanks jehan! but does not cover node mounts. specific question from underwriters--how do you train your staff?
  • eenblam: if we got trained contractors, would we have a chance at full coverage? would they (the contractors) need to have their own insurance?

Mai fundraising proposal

  • mai: i want to submit a proposal to do fundraising--using patreon or something else--having concrete funding goals X money to do Y thing. The Comtrain climbing certification would be a great thing to pitch for.

Discussion: Mesh in Oaxaca

  • from leez: "I'm heading to a small village in Oaxaca state on March 2, and I'd like to help them get a mesh network going, or at least some bandwidth sharing. I'm thinking keep it simple this trip -- gather intel, get internet from a connected house to 1-2 unconnected houses, then come back to get more houses connected, or ideally mesh the town if it seems doable!"

Action Items

  • talk to seth / investigate tower on 40th @KM6IHB
  • figure out how much BYOI at west oakland public library would cost @iamai
  • e-mail seth and eve about ORCA presentation @bennlich
  • figure out how to receive HNS from handshake @juul
  • follow up with insurance @tunabananas
  • reply to leez re: mesh in oaxaca @iamai
  • report back from people's park meeting @lesley


Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • order 60GHz gear

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting