Mesh/12 March 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 12 March 2019 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: what's your favorite thing to do with ice?
  • benny he/him - as a kid i liked to suck on ice a lot, as i was going to bed (grew up in new mexico)
  • sierk, he/him or whatever you want, maybe take them out of the glass of water and throw them after the person who put them in there (overrated)
  • eve - she/her, one day my dad took an icicle from the roof and threw it in a pool
  • null - he/him - i like to put ice down people
  • harpo, he/him, ice cream balls you kick around to make
  • jmg, him/they, give it to my cat mittens who loves to play with it
  • jnny, she/her - favorite thing is to chew on ice
  • juul, he/him, working on a -80 freezer for dry ice.
  • mai, she/they, ABOLISH IT (actually shaved ice)
  • ben, he/they, can't top that (friendly reminder to abolish ice)
  • tyler, he, put it in my yerba mate


Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Lesley: I (or someone) should probably document the set up protocols for the 60 GHz stuff. Basically, you have to set up your own DHCP server (we used an unflashed N600) and then instead of just going to the IP they tell you to go to, look up the new IP.
  • write script for updating home nodes to use exitnode domain names @bennlich
    • Did not do
  • follow up with ideas generated in idea brainstorms @bennlich
    • Did not do
  • poke tony re: berkeley marina tower @tunabananas
    • jenny: got a weird message. ryan oliver/alder already pursuing setting up a 30ft mast, hold off on the yacht club idea--were iffy. added action item to poke again. there are multiple stakeholders, yacht club, sailing club, city.
    • sierk: maybe we should go to the sailing club's sunday hangout which happens once monthly
    • jenny: building more relationships and getting to understand the layout over there
  • handshake tokens @juul
    • did not get to
  • ping david and niki re: sunday @tunabananas
    • rooftop node that needs ethernet cable re-run and might have LOS to here and there camp
  • ping toan and clark re: here/there camp as well as ashby bart FNB office @sierki
    • Sierk: every sunday 10am they have an assembly of the camp. probably the best thing is for 1-3 of us to go to one of the assembly meetings and Toan is willing to be the contact person. They're interested and willing to do outreach to the neighbor buildings. It's a really organized camp with consensus meetings every sunday at 10 am. I'm willing to come along if someone wants to go. We already put a node on david an nicki's house who live a couple of blocks away. I can ask Rob if he's willing to come.
    • benny: I can go this sunday
    • Sierk: I will talk to Toan and come with.
  • ping marc about golden gate paxio link @bennlich
    • marc has already messaged him and he hasn't replied.
  • work on a flyer/1-pager re: effects of RF waves @sierk @tunabananas
    • not yet. added action item to dump stuff on the wiki.
    • mai: we should make a list of things like that that we want to create. handout about security, for neighbors to give neighbors
  • circulate survey re: Oakland ISP choice from EFF — sudomesh mailing list and social media @iamai
    • mai: Did not do but will do it tonight!! Got another email from Tracy yesterday.
  • ping LOLspace re: downed extender node @tunabananas
    • pinged toda
    • should remember to take a photo of the router setup upon completion of a node mount and add to its trello card
  • juul: put the Calyx router in a waterproof enclosure
    • got a waterproof bag
    • going to give them a battery at first, solar panel later
  • radio witness
    • Info: https://medium.com/@rhodey/the-radiowitness-io-dsp-pipeline-part-1-where-to-start-28157cc975a6
    • @notrhodey has been working on this project, Radio Witness, that scans police channels and stores recordings. proposal to set it up at the IA site
    • mai: should we ask internet archive if they want to host a copy of it?
    • sierk: yes--the main thing IA does is store stuff on hard drives
    • mai: why don't we put one on omni?
    • marc: one on the richmond tower will probably capture the entire bay area. might make sense to put one in south bay too.
  • peoples park meeting 1pm in council grove or grassroots house if it's raining
    • juul: going to try to be there this sunday

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • null: working on hurricane electric server--ssh keys, test tunnel,
  • marc: are we connecting exitnodes together?
    • benny: not reliably
  • marc: should do that with HE node

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • ben: texted jeff

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • BattleMesh v12 is in Paris this year! theme is: network infrastructure as a common - https://www.battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV12
    • jenny: i got a message from keo (sp?)
  • Benny: To-Ben (Ben from Toronto m) is coming to town at the end of March (March 29 to April 8:
    • The to-mesh group has some really well-thought-through (and well-aligned IMO) curricula for introducing people to mesh networks and peer-to-peer apps. The curriculum is about the technology /and/ the politics. https://tomeshnet.github.io/p2p-internet-workshop/
    • I asked if he would be up for facilitating a workshop while he's in town and he's game! This would be a slightly modified version of their curriculum focused on training future facilitators. https://tomesh.net/2018-12-17/facilitating-mesh-workshops/
    • I'm really excited to participate--I expect to learn a lot about meshing and peer-to-peer apps, but also about their pedagogy and perspective on how to talk to people about community networks.
    • Who else is interested? The workshop would be 3 hours long, date TBD. Is there anything in particular you'd like to cover?
    • real vegan cheese camera
      • Mai, Ben, Tyler, sierk, ? interested
      • juul, jnny and eve won't be in town this week :(
  • March 31st is WORLD BACKUP DAY! I will be out of town _but_ I will be backing up! Let this day be a backup-themed Sunday Office Hours! Back up the sudo room wiki! Back up all our data! Back up all the thiiiings!
  • Bornhack in Denmark August 8-15: https://bornhack.dk/bornhack-2019/
    • danish hacker camp, ~200 people
  • CCCamp 2019 in Germany August 21-25: https://events.ccc.de/camp/2019/wiki/Main_Page
    • biggest hacker camp in the world. in 2007 spawned hacker spaces movement.
    • camp out in a field outside of berlin for 5 days.
    • you do need a ticket unless you're a speaker. usually ~120 euros

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.

Weekly updates/check-ins

  • Internet Archive link
    • ben: there's a tower near 55th and shattuck
    • jmg: gonna pick up m5 bridge and look for IA link
  • Paxio link
  • Golden gate link
    • see above
  • Chuck/MJT link
    • Let's just see if it works again when the HE server is reinstalled?
  • Hurricane Electric
    • see above
  • People's Park
    • marc hoping to hand over a bag of internet this sunday!

Action Items

  • poke ryan about marina @tunabananas
  • handshake tokens @juul
  • ping david and niki re: sunday @tunabananas
  • ping golden gate paxio link @bennlich
  • create wiki page about EMF radiation @sierk @tunabananas
  • any reply from LOLSpace? @tunabananas
  • document battery-powered node in a waterproof bag @juul
  • e-mail other community wifi groups about rooftop insurance

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting