Mesh/14 February 2013
- Jenny, Marc Juul, Mark B, Bill, Eno
- Applying for funding from OpenITP: https://pad.riseup.net/p/510penITPapp
- Wikipedia has some good info here.
- See also: Mesh Projects Directory - http://wiki.tidepools.co/view/Mesh_Directory
at sudo room
- Lots of coaxial cable.
- Some wireless routers that need to be checked for openwrt support.
- 2 linksys routers which may be b0rked
- One Motorola C155 with osmocom-bb
- One USRP 1 software defined radio
- Three openwrt routers from open-mesh.com.
The RONJA project has 1.4 km range and 10 mbps full duplex. Material costs are about $100, but it's not clear if that is per node or per link (per two nodes). It does not use off-the-shelf hardware, so construction requires some work.
- Ubiquity nanostation
- Ubiquity picostation
- raspberry pi (or similar) + usb wifi adapters such as the 2000 mW $20 chinese models or even just 500 mW $20 chinese models
- [http://dx.com/p/2-4ghz-100w-18dbi-directional-high-gain-18-unit-antenna-for-wifi-wireless-network-sma-34759 18 dBi -directional-high-gain-18-unit-antenna-for-wifi-wireless-network-sma-34759 18 dBi for $18 including shipping.
24 dBi for $26.40 expensive shipping when ordering only one though.
Firmware and routing algorithms
- Should we use off the shelf firmware, how should we r00t our r0uters?
- Commotion wireless uses OLSR, but the current nodes in the 510pen network use the batman-advanced.
- Other projects like Project Byzantium (targetting laptops) use the Babel protocol.
- Performance Evaluation of BATMAN, DSR, OLSR Routing Protocols - A Review Sandhu and Sharma 2012: http://www.ijetae.com/files/Volume2Issue1/IJETAE_0112_35.pdf
- Maximum Number of nodes with Maximum Mobility: OLSR > BATMAN > DSR
- Maximum Number of nodes with Maximum Packet length: OLSR > DSR > BATMAN
Currently, 510pen uses NG firmware extending OpenWRT with batman-adv
- OLSRD Configuration & Management: https://code.commotionwireless.net/projecthttp://www.olsr.org/?q=node/13s/commotion/wiki/OLSR_Configuration_and_Management?version=3
- Bill will look into OLSR and routing generally
- Saturday node-repair field trip
- jenny will ping beau
- Bring things to set up a node at sudo room next week!
- jenny will ping mark b :P