Mesh/17 July 2018
People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 17 July 2018 7:30pm-9pm
Software WG Meeting 5pm-7pm
- Discussion: Use GitHub's 'Review' feature more. When we make PRs, what if we always request a review from someone and wait for a 'looks good to me' before merge?
- Review other PRs and decide to merge/close/take action items to code review
- Extra time: Review open GitHub Issues
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Meeting Roles
- 4 Check in on previous action items
- 5 Updates & Reportbacks
- 6 Next Sunday
- 7 Example Proposal
- 8 Discussion: Mesh the Planet / Dweb Summit Unconference
- 9 Action Items
- 10 Breakout Groups
- 11 Last Meeting Notes
- 12 End of Meeting
- Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
- Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
- Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
- Next Sunday (5 mins)
- Proposal X: (15 mins)
- Discussion: Mesh the Planet / Dweb Summit Unconference (15 mins)
- Discussion Z (15 mins)
- Action Items (5 mins)
- Breakout Groups
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements
- Icebreaker question: best thing that will have happened for you this summer
- Jeremy - he/him - got married on the 4th of July!
- ben - he/they - camp tipsy, also first time going home in a year
- Proposal: do intros, address action items, then switch to hacking.
- benny - he/they - teaching job is new and exciting
- blake - no pronoun preference - i dunno, been pretty broke this summer. might get a job soon.
- mai - she or they - camp tipsy was definitely a highlight. I'm going to Cleveland, OH, next month. Driving back with my sister and Mom! That'll be fun.
- feminist business assessment: I'm part of this thing called Enspiral out of NZ. Loomio, Cobudget, SSB, etc. In particular, I'm part of an incubator within it, in which we're assessing ourselves.
- We've each been assigned to undergo a feminist business assessment by next Friday. Someone from our organization, if interested, would provide me with feedback.
- If anyone else would like to be assessed, I'd be happy to do the same.
- Announcement#2: I enrolled in CCSF to work towards a wireless networking certificate (see https://www.ccsf.edu/en/educational-programs/cte/ict.html .)
- This fall is introduction to networks and wireless LANs. Classes are online.
- Fall and spring. 5 classes altogether. All online. Feel free to join me!
- See also https://peoplesopen.net/chat/channel/learning !
- jake - it/that or whatever - I'm not supposed to say. Best thing so far, though, was Bedtime for Democracy. Coolest boat on the water.
- Facilitator/s: ben
- Notetaker/s: benny, ben
- URL of this pad: https://peoplesopen.net/notes
Check in on previous action items
Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:
- Share idea re: holding a BYOI with ISOC sometime in October 2018 (eve)
- mai - Eve out of town for some time.
- ben - I'll email Eve and ask her to follow up on the list serve about a time that works for her.
- #software-wg on 07/17 (benny+ben)
- benny - nothing important. We kinda just chatted. The software-wg... we're still getting into our flow. I worked on a bug.
- mai - is it worth revisiting how/when it happens? How it's announced?
- benny - definitely how it's announced. I'll ask in #general if people want to meet, ben says sure, then we hang out.
- ben - we *did* have a good conversation about a networking paper, which I also posted in rocket.chat.
- benny - ya sorry. that kind of thing is important actually. shouldnt have dismissed.
- ben - also had architecture discussion about how to develop for the admin dashboard re: issue #1
- Hack on StaleBot (bengo - afk)
- Triage open issues
- Note: the project kanban board has moved to https://github.com/orgs/sudomesh/projects/2 to span projects for the whole organization.
- Create Loomio vote re: reimbursing people for conference reg fees (mai)
- mai - Didn't happen. Will do it during our working session after this discussion.
Updates & Reportbacks
Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos
Node Mounts & Outreach
- ben: we still need a van and a ladder and tools for mounting on different substrates. if we're willing to spend money on these things...
- benny: I bet if you propose spending money on node mounting things we need, everyone will support that
- mai: can also do the "low hanging fruit" mounts that we don't need a ladder for (livelabs, tmi, hearth)
Communications & Events
Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events
- DWeb Science Fair table
- If you want to go to the dweb conference, check rocket chat for instructions from tunabanana
- Unconference planning (WIP): https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/MTP2018
- need people to sign up for roles!
- also need to think more about the hackathon afterwords
- No mozilla WINS grant round 2 :( :( :( :(
Internal Logistics / Finance
Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms
We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays
- Next Sunday's wednesday July 25th mount: hearth to livelabs
We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours
- Next Sunday's volunteer:
- Notes from this past Sunday's session:
Please add any proposal needing consent from or action by the group below:
Discussion: Mesh the Planet / Dweb Summit Unconference
- Let's review and discuss the agenda we've refined: https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/mtp2018
- e-mail eve re Share idea re: holding a BYOI with ISOC sometime in October 2018 (eve) (ben)
- what happened to our ladder order?
- fix dashboard bug #1 (benny)
At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.
Last Meeting Notes
- link to previous meeting minutes
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the sudomesh wiki with the correct date format: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/DD_MM_YYYY
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mesh/Mesh_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous meeting notes are archived here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes