Mesh/17 July 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search
People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 17 July 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Software WG Meeting 5pm-7pm

  • Discussion: Use GitHub's 'Review' feature more. When we make PRs, what if we always request a review from someone and wait for a 'looks good to me' before merge?
  • Review other PRs and decide to merge/close/take action items to code review
  • Extra time: Review open GitHub Issues

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal X: (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Mesh the Planet / Dweb Summit Unconference (15 mins)
  • Discussion Z (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: best thing that will have happened for you this summer
  • Jeremy - he/him - got married on the 4th of July!
  • ben - he/they - camp tipsy, also first time going home in a year
    • Proposal: do intros, address action items, then switch to hacking.
  • benny - he/they - teaching job is new and exciting
  • blake - no pronoun preference - i dunno, been pretty broke this summer. might get a job soon.
  • mai - she or they - camp tipsy was definitely a highlight. I'm going to Cleveland, OH, next month. Driving back with my sister and Mom! That'll be fun.
    • feminist business assessment: I'm part of this thing called Enspiral out of NZ. Loomio, Cobudget, SSB, etc. In particular, I'm part of an incubator within it, in which we're assessing ourselves.
    • We've each been assigned to undergo a feminist business assessment by next Friday. Someone from our organization, if interested, would provide me with feedback.
    • If anyone else would like to be assessed, I'd be happy to do the same.
    • Announcement#2: I enrolled in CCSF to work towards a wireless networking certificate (see https://www.ccsf.edu/en/educational-programs/cte/ict.html .)
    • This fall is introduction to networks and wireless LANs. Classes are online.
  • jake - it/that or whatever - I'm not supposed to say. Best thing so far, though, was Bedtime for Democracy. Coolest boat on the water.

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Share idea re: holding a BYOI with ISOC sometime in October 2018 (eve)
    • mai - Eve out of town for some time.
    • ben - I'll email Eve and ask her to follow up on the list serve about a time that works for her.
  • #software-wg on 07/17 (benny+ben)
    • benny - nothing important. We kinda just chatted. The software-wg... we're still getting into our flow. I worked on a bug.
    • mai - is it worth revisiting how/when it happens? How it's announced?
    • benny - definitely how it's announced. I'll ask in #general if people want to meet, ben says sure, then we hang out.
    • ben - we *did* have a good conversation about a networking paper, which I also posted in rocket.chat.
    • benny - ya sorry. that kind of thing is important actually. shouldnt have dismissed.
    • ben - also had architecture discussion about how to develop for the admin dashboard re: issue #1
  • Hack on StaleBot (bengo - afk)
  • Triage open issues
  • Create Loomio vote re: reimbursing people for conference reg fees (mai)
    • mai - Didn't happen. Will do it during our working session after this discussion.

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • ben: we still need a van and a ladder and tools for mounting on different substrates. if we're willing to spend money on these things...
  • benny: I bet if you propose spending money on node mounting things we need, everyone will support that
  • mai: can also do the "low hanging fruit" mounts that we don't need a ladder for (livelabs, tmi, hearth)

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • DWeb Science Fair table
    • If you want to go to the dweb conference, check rocket chat for instructions from tunabanana
  • Unconference planning (WIP): https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/MTP2018
    • need people to sign up for roles!
    • also need to think more about the hackathon afterwords
  • No mozilla WINS grant round 2 :( :( :( :(

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's wednesday July 25th mount: hearth to livelabs

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer:
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

Example Proposal

Please add any proposal needing consent from or action by the group below:

  • Consenso?

Discussion: Mesh the Planet / Dweb Summit Unconference

Action Items

  • e-mail eve re Share idea re: holding a BYOI with ISOC sometime in October 2018 (eve) (ben)
  • what happened to our ladder order?
  • fix dashboard bug #1 (benny)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

End of Meeting