Mesh/18 December 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 18 Dec 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles
  • Check in on previous action items
  • Updates & Reportbacks
  • Next Sunday
  • Discussion Items: APC Application and UPS for server at Internet Archive (15 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: what are you reading right now
  • Eve: She - The secret history of the Jersey Devil
  • Null: He/Him - Perfect Phrases

Meeting Roles

== Check in on previous action items == (Bumping to Next meeting for updates) Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • ewaste pickup (breakout session after meeting)
  • jehan on insurance stuff: he and ben worked on this a few weeks ago. if we have exposure we dont tell them about (eg going on roofs) can make us default lost our policy. think we have to state we go on roofs. Was going to follow up with NCIA and see how we can characterize it and what that would do to the price of insurance. Also, are there possibilities like having people sign waivers?
    • if it's extremely expensive need to decide if it's worth the risk
    • Scott - officers could be disallowed from going on roofs
    • Jenny - other option is spin up LLC that does installations specifically
  • put proposal to fund participation in Nonprofit Democracy Network Gathering (mai)
    • mai: decided to hold off on putting this proposal on Loomio bc I needed to apply and I don't even know yet if we'll be accepted (and therefore have to pay). Also for expenditures < $2000 that can go to the Accounting WG anyway.
  • review project proposal process (next week) - all
  • schedule holiday party (maybe the 15th? - Loomio? could someone take this on?
    • jnny: ballroom is utterly free w/ no pending requests for the 14th, free after 2pm the 15th, free until 430pm Sunday the 16th (4:30pm setup for Liberated Lens' "Best of the [Film] Fest" event - +100 solidarity <3
    • seth: thought mai said we should all go to avenue after the mtg tonite
    • Scott - I'd be willing to throw a party on the 21st
  • paxio link update
  • Marc - we heard back from Matt, asked when, and he hasn't replied yet. Another thing to follow up on is Place for Sustainable living or nearby, we'd get either a 1 gig or 10 gig link, which would be perfect. Only issue is that some people there who are concerned about radiation
    • Scott - All Power Labs is only a block or so from there too. We could get a link to Paxio and Archive on the same power. I could follow up with them.
    • Marc - when I ping paxio again I'll say we might be trying to work with All Power Labs
    • Scott - but do we even need the Paxio link if we have All Power?
    • Jenny - Sure! Feed the network!
    • Marc - There's no way without paying a ton of money that we'll get more than half a gigabit from the archive - unless we get a ton of garden hose and roll out the ethernet cable in the bay (this is a joke)
  • Jenny - Marina folks are down for potentially a tower at the marina (Berkeley Marina)
    • Robb - run down sailboat with a tall mast?
      • check on google earth LOS ~40ft above ground @ marina -> richmond tower

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Exit server at hurricane electric is down
  • might have disabled option that enables it to boot if RAID is degraded
    • jehan - something wrong with James' cabinet and not the server?
    • Marc - no, we need someone to go down there with a monitor and see what's going on. If someone can give me a ride to day or tomorrow I could do it
    • Eve - I could do it.
  • Jenny - our psychz invoice is overdue to connect
    • Marc - we should write a guide
    • Jenny - there's Jorrit's guide
    • Blake - that doesn't go into RAID stuff.


Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.


Discussion Items: APC Application and UPS for server at Internet Archive

  • Null and Eve discussed APC application (pros and cons) and purchase of more routers (pros and cons).
  • What about a UPS for the server at the Internet Archive? Is that the only remaining buy?


Action Items

(Bumping to Next Meeting)

  • apply to APC
  • follow up with all power labs - scott
  • upload marina photos - jenny
  • fix hurricane electric server - marc/robb - eve & yar (thurs) also available)
    • contact james for permission (jehan has contact) -
  • take office hours off the calendar for next few weeks - jenny
  • buy more WD mynet routers - marc/jenny - ** Null - we currently have 7 (Tl-wdr4300 n750) in inventory and 1 is broken. [Never Mind i think these are different] then what i saw in inventory


Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting