Mesh/20 March 2014
March 20th Hacknight!
- Marc, Noemie, Daniel, Jenny, Jeremy, Alex, Deekoo (by remote), Max (by remote + very late), Ed, Dan, Will, Matt, ChrisJ
- Feedback welcome and encouraged on the latest iteration of the Free Network Definition and the Network Commons License:
- Comments, "applause", more networks to contact welcome on this Knight News Challenge grant app: https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/toward-a-network-commons-building-an-internet-for-and-by-the-people
- Jenny explains: Matt, Mitar, Jenny and a guy trying to start a free network in LA went to the free network foundation's winter summit (fnf, kansas city net, austin city net). People also participated remotely (Juul and others?) They hacked on a draft of free network definition and the Network Commons License (may be renamed the Nearly Free Network License).
- We collaborated on the linked knight foundation application with representatives from a bunch of different mesh groups (columbia, argentina, germany, slovenia, italy, south africa, france, kansas city, oakland, catalonia). We want to reach out to more groups (athens, india, etc.)
- Jeremy made a card: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Stickers
- Marc made a UbiFlasher to auto-flash ubiquiti devices! It currently works with all of the newest generation of Ubiquiti devices: https://github.com/sudomesh/ubi-flasher
- Marc made service-browser to display services that are available on the mesh: https://github.com/sudomesh/service-browser
- Marc added features to node-configurator towards getting support for ar71xx gear.
- We should perhaps toss up our schedule - field trips, workshops, talks, focus groups, other ideas? Let's start putting together a schedule!
- Jenny points out that there are ten $500,000 google grants available for community projects in the bay: https://impactchallenge.withgoogle.com/bayarea2014/
- Daniel pitches the idea that we could make mesh backpacks that people can use during demonstrations and such to give connectivity.
- Deekoo has the mirror almost done, he thinks. (Of course, he thought that the last ten or so times). Also, there's a Subversion tool in newer svn versions [svnrdump] that makes cloning much faster.
- Marc says everyone upvote this: https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/toward-a-network-commons-building-an-internet-for-and-by-the-people
- Jeremy says: Lakeshore Farmer's Market is down for us (sudo) to have a table for free!
- Jeremy says: Anarchist Bookfair is this weekend, we can have a table there also (w/ BAPS) (Max will be there with copwatch!)
- We could have a truly mobile node for such events, with a satellite uplink :D
- Would it worth it to eventually find/create a 4g hotspot attached mesh node? - would be good for this kind of thing?
- http://mobilecitizen.org/ (paired with a mesh node could help create pop-up mesh nodes....
- Sounds good! It'd be an extra monthly expense but probably worth it.
- Later we could upgrade to a satellite uplink.
- Marc will 95% certainly get to stay in the country. Woop! Woop! Yay!!!
- Noemie is working on the peoplesopen.net and sudo room documentary!
- Jenny will be cleaning up the notes from the summit last week, and contacting various networks about the license
- The above outreach will also request folks to join the aforementioned coalition (for the Knight News Grant) and to promote the campaign in their respective social networks
- Noemie and Daniel will be preparing questions and staging for more interviews for the promo video
- Dan is planning to put OpenWRT on a Raspi + resilient case and solar charge
- Jeremy working on presentation materials :)
- Maxb is going to get that portal together if it's the last thing he does (tonight that is...)
Gratuitous Link Dump
- Knight Foundation Grant Application: https://pad.riseup.net/p/knightfoundapp - collaborative etherpad we wrote the knight grant app on
- Draft of Free Network Definition & Network Commons License: https://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/2014WinterSummitSaturdayNotes / https://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/2014WinterSummitMondayNotes
- Google Impact Grant: https://impactchallenge.withgoogle.com/bayarea2014/
- Let's collaboratively write our application here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudomeshgoogrant
- Mesh ToDos: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/ToDos
What should be listed as local services? Communication | Documents | Social Networking | Broadcasting Platform