Mesh/22 January 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 22 January 2019 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Discussion: Internet Archive Installs: (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question:
  • john-mark / jmg - he/him
  • Null he/him
  • Mai (afk for now) - she/they
  • eenblam - he/him or they/them
  • robb - he/him, usually
  • Lesley (remote) pronoun agnostic - green onions make almost anything better
  • Benny (remote / afk) - he/him - preemptive icebreaker answer: I love raspberries
  • Tyler (remote) - He/him/I.T. - Anything but Orange

There's 3.5 of us present - notes speedrun edition!

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • apply to APC (jenny)
    • started, it's a long app. signup here if willing to help with writing.
  • follow up with all power labs - scott
  • upload marina photos - jenny
  • buy more WD mynet routers - marc/jenny
  • ping chuck and poke around MJ&T connection issue (mai)
    • mai - TBD.
    • eenblam - I'm suspicious that Chuck may have disabled the node after finding that Juul had a key on it. He brought it up in rocket.chat recently, asking who Juul was. Could be something else, but who knows.
    • Adding eenblam to action item
  • e-mail Jonah about installing servers on the 19th/20th and how are those cables doing? (benny)-
    • got a reply! see Internet Archive Installs discussion item below.
  • change/update language re: the meeting (mai)
    • mai - Also TBD. We previously discussed officially making certain meetings open for new folks, instead of reserving all of them for business.
      • we used to do fourth Tuesdays for new folks with all others open to but not ideal for new folks, could reinstate this. tues meetings open to all worked well when we regularly had jorrit volunteering to host a breakout after for newbies
    • mai - not clear on the calendar that that's the case; people still showing up on other days. ^^:)
    • eenblam - Something like "Sudomesh - Business Meeting" on most nights, then "Sudomesh - Hangout + Newcomer Night" on 4th Tuesdays?
    • mai - "Hangout nights"?
    • robb - I think first tuesdays are easier to remember and think about
      • mai - I agree
  • look into buying a UPS - robb/jnny/null
    • benny ordered null's purchase request. arrives at benny's on wednesday.
  • action item complainer (Friday morning) bot (eenblam)
    • This got done!
    • Woooot!
    • i love it!
  • check on deliveries (60Ghz antenna, mynet routers) - jenny
    • todo tonight.. (+1)
  • work with jenny on the accounting / legal proposal (benny)
    • did not do, but I think Jenny is working on this without any help from me
  • asset tracking process for adding/removing items from cage (null)
    • null - I have 300 labels that need to go on most of the items in the cage. There's some new stuff that showed up that I think isn't part of sudomesh's stuff. UPS needs to be added.
    • We need to get a tablet or some type of computer to run AssetTiger.
    • robb - we have a pile of older Android tablets with documentation on them
    • null i'll pick one of those tablets up and try to get AssetTiger.

Intenet Archive Installs

  • Jonah *might* be free this Sunday or on a Thursday! It sounds like both the server rack and the tower are available for installs.
  • Benny: I think ideally we should find a time when at least 2 of us can go. Having two pairs of eyes / brains is good, especially for documentation.
  • What is everyone's availability this Sunday Jan. 27th?
  • jonahs availability is not determined. Just need to determine our availability right now.
    • Can make it:
      • (maybe eenblam)
      • maybe jmg
      • Null
      • robb
      • mai
    • Cannot make it: benny
  • What is everyone's availability next Thursday Jan. 31st?
    • Can make it: Benny, robb
  • Questions from Jonah:
    • Who will be climbing the tower? I think our HR wants them to sign a perfunctory form that they have appropriate skills/insurance. I'll get that sorted out here.
      • Benny: Could Doug do it? He probably has insurance. Does Doug know someone who can do it?
      • Mai: Wasn't Grant gonna do it? He said he had insurance and the confidence and willingness to do it
      • Benny: can you ping grant Mai? I know he's leaving soon after so he might be busy.
      • Mai: I'm getting drinks w him after this meeting so I'll ask him
      • Benny: Woot!
    • Do you have PoE injection equipment to install in the box on the tower for the radio, and if so how large?
      • Benny: Do we intend to install a larger poe than our normal tiny single-port poe boxes? I guess the reason to do this would be to support more devices on the tower? Could someone clarify why we would use a larger poe device?
      • jmg - might also need a repeater inline, PoE injectors usually don't repeat
      • robb - looked like about 100m, but didn't measure it out
      • eenblam - if the concern is space in the box, we could ask to mount a separate box.

<discussion>

      • mai - it sounds like Sunday could be too soon
      • jmg - I might have PoE injector equipment that I could donate
      • mai - It would be worth getting on the phone with Jonah to clarify some of the tower specs.
      • robb - we still don't know where we can point it
        • mai - we've kept raising this issue, and mostly agreed that we should just get our equipment up there and point it in the generally right direction and fix it once we have a location to point it to.
  • Conclusion: let's install the exit node asap, and we'll continue figuring out the climbing situation. Don't have the right people in the conversation to settle that tonight.
    • (Also, do measure wire run to tower when installing exit node + UPS)
    • Also, phone call with Jonah if possible.
      • We will not do it this Thursday, let's ask Jonah if next Thursday Jan 31 works

Exitnode Install

https://trello.com/c/U4R5iWZx/4-install-exitnode-at-internet-archive-richmond-location

  • Things we need to do before going to install:
    • Test the UPS (should arrive on Wednesday)
    • Test that we still know how to log in to the server
    • Anything else?
  • Minimal installation goals:
    • Be able to SSH into our server from outside of the internet archive network
    • Reboot server and verify we can still SSH in
    • Bonus points: use someone's home node to test that our server functions as an exitnode

AirFiber Install

https://trello.com/c/ttIPA857/5-install-airfiber-at-internet-archive-richmond-location

  • Things we need to do before going to install:
    • Write down the static IP address and config of the airfiber we're bringing over (is it in master or slave mode?)
    • Verify who can climb the tower and mount a heavy airfiber on it
      • null - climber also needs insurance
    • Anything else?
  • Minimal installation goals:
    • Be able to SSH into the AirFiber from our Internet Archive exit node

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • None

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • See above

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • laptops 4 all fiscal sponsorship proposal: https://www.loomio.org/d/8jJLpl3W/laptops-for-all-
    • robb - we went hard on this for months, and it's been a bit stalled. We collected about 3k and put out about 60 laptops, got more. Still have a bunch that need to be fixed, some that need distributing, etc.
    • have money for the parts I think, but it's really wearing us out. Also have new ones coming in, which requires research to figure out the repairs involved.
    • jmg - could also be an opportunity to teach classes about repairing computers
      • jnny: education/training atop the work already involved is too much at this time. we have put in hundreds of hours already and trained a few folks, but coordinating training as well is simply too much - in general. if someone else is willing to bottomline that, then that's great, but we don't have additional resources to train.
    • eenblam - it's a relatively small ask fiscally, and this project has some of the most direct/immediate impact of some of the work we do. I'd like to see this funded.
      • jnny: it's just a tiny stipend to incentivize the work. we are burned out and broke. and don't want to let folks down who are on the waiting list. the project could grow with support and assistance from more folks, but we don't have a bead on future laptop donations rn. that would be one signficant area of growth for the project
      • there are two proposals on loomio: one to formalize fiscal sponsorship (which we've just been doing kinda already informally so it's mostly a legalese thing and also a governance thing) and one for stipends to roll out the next batch (then we can go from there or really from here if people are interested in getting involved)

Thanks, Jenny! Awesome - we seem to have reached that understanding here in meatspace as well \o/

    • mai - there was a lot of confusion because we didn't realize this was two separate proposals! We all support, just wasn't get them straight.
      • jnny: apologies - it seems also loomio kinda confuscates multiple proposals in one thread, sthg we should think about
        • also we should formally sponsor disaster.radio but i wanted to wait til marc got back
      • mai - It's just pushed waaay down low on the right side under previous decisions
  • eenblam: Unsure if we have quorum for either in meatspace or on Loomio.
    • jenny: What's our number? Jesse always advised against having more than 12 voting members, i thought it was 5 for quorum?
      • 6 on the stipends one, 4 on the fiscal sponsorship
      • eenblam - I'm personally fine with 5 for quorum.
      • robb - I'm fine with punting to next week if we don't have enough

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.

Proposal: Change meeting format

  • We previously discussed officially making certain meetings open for new folks, instead of reserving all of them for business.
    • (See discussion above)
    • PROPOSAL: Let's make "Sudomesh - Business Meeting" on most nights, then "Sudomesh - Hangout + Newcomer Night" on 1st Tuesdays of the month?
      • If consenso'd, this will go to Loomio
  • Consenso?
    • +1 jnny null robb mai eenblam

Action Items

  • Look for list of stewards @iamai
  • Ping Chuck re: connection @iamai @eenblam
  • Create proposal for changing meeting language @iamai
  • Finalize details of node mount specs with Jonah @bennlich)
  • WD mynet router order (post-checkin to oakstop) - @tunabananas

- finish APC app - @tunabananas - upload marina photos - @tunabananas

    • update on marina: encampment across the way evicted late last year :( followed by at least half a dozen encampment evictions over christmas and new years alone FUCK THIS ADMINISTRATION ITS RAINING AND COLD!!!
(
  • Tablet for AssetTiger @null


Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting