Mesh/24 Apr 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 24 April 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Last Meeting Minutes: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/17_Apr_2018

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: OpenData Hackathon Challenge (5 min)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question:
  • Hilary
  • Grant
  • juul
  • blake

Tiny meeting. Almost no-one here :)

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Grant: Make moves on plan for PON e-commerce revenue stream (e.g. shirts, hats, stickers)
  • grant: setup nightly builds of zeroconf firrmware (debug travis further) and tighen up openwrt build process: zeroconf is pretty much but needs more eyes and stress test.
  • ben: Jorrit and I are aso discussing CI for monitoring tools. I think zeroconf is higher priority, though
  • grant: follow-up with Paxio to confirm 24Ghz antenna situation, suggest LOS from Omni (how do we align with their equipment?)
    • did, but our contact is on vaction until April 27th, will follow up again after that date
  • mai: schedule meeting for Account/Finances Working Group
    • looking like next tuesday before the meeting, round 6
  • jenny: buy some shit ^_^
    • ben bought box cutters and zip ties. jenny had already bought outdoor cable, standard rj45s and 2 sets of EZ crimpers. harness & rope in office or mesh area (compliance in a can) but can buy more. waiting on confirm from paxio re: 24ghz airfiber. jenny to perma-lend non-metric socket wrench set. omni a/v has walkie talkies we can borrow if we need, til we get out own set. so that leaves binoculars and metal snips (what are those?)
    • lesley and max were going to buy a rope, but do we need another? guy on craigslist had one for 120, nearly new. yay or nay?
  • jenny: follow up with devi / lolspace
    • in communication with Devi - they're going to reportback on who can meet us on an upcoming Sunday for a site survey/Q&A after their tenant's meeting tonight
  • jenny & ben: more work into vehicle procurement
    • ben - Jenny's been out of town, and I've been working on other stuff. Hopefully it'll be easier to catch up this week.

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

(juul reads aloud)

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • jnny: received quote for Directors & Officers insurance. Only one underwriter gave us a quote - for a $10K annual premium. jenny will consult wit Jesse & DK and try again with a different broker. (for context, omni pays ~$170/mo for D&O)

(juul reads aloud)

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer:
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

Proposal: OpenData Hackathon Challenge

Please add any proposal needing consent from or action by the group below:

  • OpenData Hackathon Challenge

(posted by Hilary Naylor, OLPC-SF) Discuss possibility that SudoMesh enter a challenge for the hackathon. Please take a look at the information, the code of conduct, and submit a challenge. http://hackathon.sfsu.edu/ Registration is open. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/open-hack-sf-2018-san-francisco-state-university-hackathon-tickets-45329250007

  • Consenso?

<hilary> The OLPC project is a live and well. One project lead by a member of the OLPC-SF group is in Ethiopia with the new laptop (modified chromebook) XO NL3 but they are held up in customs. Another in the honduras where the laptops where just handed to the kids with no instruction and they figured it out on their own. The software is now independent of the hardware <www.sugarizer.org>. We should submit a challenge to the upcoming hackathon (doesn't have to be OLPC associated):

Talking about various things we cold pitch to the hacakathon:

  • <juul> disaster.radio simulator
  • <grant> spanning tree visualizer? not sure i have time to write it up

<lesley-remote> not sure which visualizer you're talking about...probably not the network visualizer thing. I had looked at that a bit, would still like to do it if will or someone else doesn't beat me to it <juul> are you talking about the map? or something else? <lesley> for node-monitor. so probably something else

<hilary> OLPC has a libary software called Pathagar - but there is a problem which will be fixed by using Snap. This will be one of the challenges.

<lesley> also, solar panels have arrived, and max is back in town. solar-repeaters coming up!

<juul> cool!

Action Items

|

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

End of Meeting