- Update on crowdfunding campaign 
- What to spend money on
- Overview of the Mesh as it stands!
- Firmware progress
- Community Outreach
- Name Brainstorm
- Marc, Chris J, Jacob, Ryan, MaxB, Jenny, Paige, Olaf + others
- Marc - decentralization, citizen science, sysadmin
- Max - Free internet! Free networks.
- Olaf: Cryptocurrency, research, etc; Coinbase; Reading up on tunneling
- Jenny – Education and community outreach; Anthropology and documentation
- Chris J – Web stuff, splash pages, interfaces; OpenWRT experienced; community tech enthusiast
- Jacob - community outreach
- Aaron - Outreach and alliances; policy work
- All would love to learn how to flash shit and do things on the ground.
- Paige - Learning hardware, community education and outreach
- Doug - firmware, implementations of the environment, webwork [software dev, web tech]; software dev, post nexus; free wifi enthusiast
- Mitch - Likes to code!
- Mitar - Nodewatcher; python/django-based application
- Tom - abandoned hardware
- Ryan - Graphic designer
- We're $50 short of our crowd funding goal!
- UPDATE: We hit our goal of 3k! See Inventory and Purchases for details
- $2250.00 to the routers
- → Built a mesh network in Uganda
What to spend money on
- We have a bunch of street level nodes and a number of pt->pt and pt->multi-pt backbone links
- Cables and housing, etc.
- Outdoor Ethernet Cable – Shielded
- Outdoor Ethernet Plugs
Overview of the Mesh
- The wiki is well documented
City – coalition-ing
- If we depend on their interests, they will shut us down
- They can't shut us down
- Firmware: Max B, Marc J, and Douglas
- Quality of Service
- 3+ SSIDs
- Traffic and bandwidth shaping
- Should we get high and try to decide? Maybe not...
- Is there an advantage to having a separate "network" name and a "group" name
- Pay for the nodes
- Tunneling setup for VPN protection
- We need a coalition of lawyers!
- Firmware – to change the ssid etc – chris j
- Points – sobdraken
- There's a lot of electromagnetic noise!
- Van-eck phreaking - pointing an antenna at a CTR screen, you can reconsturct it from far away
- Can see what people are watching from the same signal on the tv via power draw
- filter behind the meter that only lets 60 cycles through
- We own the gateways between our houses! I will install this to do this - it is open hardware, with only 16Hz of data
- A smartgrid would tell you to turn off this or that when the energy grid is overwhelmed
- Tidepools Map
- Internet Archive
- Oakland Wiki
- Local Chat
Mitar's Slovenia Repo
- If you really want to be a part of the community outreach team you could try and get in contact with some of the organizations on that list!
- Community Outreach & Policy Strategy: Wednesday, July 31, 8:30-10pm at sudo room
- Hack Night: Flashing, firmware dev: Thursday, August 1, 8:30-10pm at sudo room