Mesh/26 January 2016
Sudomesh general meeting 26 Jan 2016
- Alex P, Max B, Marc Juul, Lawrence(sp?), Jake (interloper), daniel
- Clef Install:
- Speeds are pretty good within line of sight, but having an issue with android authenticating even in places where signal is good.
- Want way way way too much money for transport from data center to the Omni
- Fake Captive Portal
- Working, but needs debugging.
- Android is having issues
- Needs polish
- Uplink Plans
- RTT fixes for babeld configs
- "Anticapitalist Hackathon"
- Feb 5th-7th
- City Camp Oakland
- Feb 6th 2016 8:30am-5:30pm
- Oakland City Hall 1 Frank H Ogawa Plaza
- Remote Updates
- New installs?
- Better docs for "intro to home node" for tech and non-tech folks (small that can fit behind router?)
- Juul is interested in:
- Taking on graphics
- Video of walkthroughs, etc.
- Cleaning up of wiki/making sure things are current
- Juul is working on it
- Wants to be able to save data about last crash somewhere
- just a question of the right way to do it
Purchasing Gear from Yahel
- 2 Air Fiber 5s
- Mimosa link of some type
- Half off the air fibers
- Hopefully some freebies
- Transit provider (connection to the internet) and colocation (you can put servers in racks there)
- quoted $1k for 1gbps w/ $1k for roof access (we can get the price down for bandwidth, but need to talk to building manager directly about roof pricing)
- Downtown Oakland (1624 Franklin St, Oakland, CA)
- Hurricane Electric
- Transit provider (connection to the internet) and colocation
- $500 for 1gbps w/ $250 for roof access
- Very far away - Fremont, CA
- 1. sysupgrade vs mtd
- 2. signing images
- 3. Preserving user config/admin changes (bandwidth sharing, wifi password, etc)
- 4. What happens if we don't have root on devices (remote update daemon)
- 5. Extending makenode to create tarball that can be pased to sysupgrade
- 6. Extending makenode to query routers for existing node data (ip address, other mesh data)
- p2p dns
- juul suggested some kind of dyndns with a user available registration page
- Juul is gonna reach out to the BART guy and ask for a meeting w/ IT
- Maxb is gonna update nodeshot (even though it's stupid)
- Maxb is gonna talk to Level3 about transit and rooftop access
- emailed Level3 and XO
- Need to remember to follow up soon if no word back!
- Maxb is gonna turn off android captive portal - Done
- Maxb is gonna talk to yahel and buy antennas
- Juul will create accounts for mesh folk on the omni owncloud.
A place we should check if they allow us to place a node, they are at the plaza:
- Laurel Books
- Luan Stauss, owner of Laurel Book Store (on the news: http://blog.sfgate.com/bookmarks/2014/10/24/laurel-book-store-opens-in-downtown-oakland/
- 1423 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone:(510) 452-9232
- maxb is gonna get in contact with laurel books
to keep in mind, daniel knows someone that has an office on 13 and franklin 4th floor ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Franklin+St+%26+13th+St,+Oakland,+CAfirstname.lastname@example.org,-122.2725729,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x808f80b405f0731b:0x3455eec5972fb89b ) that may allow us to have a repeater. it seems that there is no internet access at that office.