Mesh/26 June 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 26 June 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Discussion: Review what we've been up to, what's up next (15 mins)
  • Discussion (5min): There is this kanban board, should we review it each meeting to keep up to date? https://github.com/orgs/sudomesh/projects/2
  • Action Items (5 mins)

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: favorite app
  • mai - she/they - duckduckgo app - storquest said they talked to higher ups and they can't give us roofspace for less than 2k/mo :-( :-( :-(
    • sierk - guessing that tthe cost must have to do with granting access to the rooftop. they probably calculate a risk about how much work/hassle it would be... can we list them as--what's the opposite of a community partner?
    • ben - is that the only building that we can get a line of site from?
    • mai - no, that's just the place paxio seemed most interested in. i have a feeling they want us to establish some sort of infra up there. but reed bros which is on telegraph has a line of site maybe and we have a relationship them.
    • someone - my brother in law used to work there for a long time
    • jehan - i would suggest contacting the building that's going up, tell them we have a gigabit from paxio. probably enough for that building and us.
    • bengo - lets keep movin along
    • sierk- is it okay that we have a hop?
  • seth - he/they - antenna pod open source podcast app. couple people came in last sunday. can't remember their names. tried to flash a router but didnt have a usb eth adapter. will have one next time.
  • sierk - no favorite app. need to find something thats better than kindle on my phone. once i do it will be my favorite. been working on disaster radio. hope to have some cool disaster radio apps ready in a few days. pulled 3 all-nighters. actually my favorite app is definitely camera!
  • sven - nickname sven - no favorite app, but i am a programmer, so my IDEs. just here to see if you need help.
  • sachi - stopped using a smart phone a while back. have happily not gone back. maps.me is a good one though. handy if you don't have wifi in a foreign country. interested in finding out what you're up to now. last time i checked in was a couple years back.
  • bengo - prefer they, but he is okay - favorite app is gitlab. really good for continuous deployment.
  • benny - he/they - favorite app is instagram but am not a connoiseur. also mountain (the app game thing).
  • jehan - he/him - favorite app... i go on twitter a lot. crash royale is good too. card game with monsters. feels like strategy is involved.
  • blake - gameboy advance emulator is favorite app, megaman something something. looking for people to battle with over emulated link cable.

late arrivals

  • shawn - favorite game crypt of the necrodancer
  • leslie - i have a lot of philosophical and aesthetic issues with most of the ways that we currently experience technology. i dont like how our communication is mediated with other people through apps. but if i had to choose a favorite app, some animated cats, or a go practice app, or signa.
  • jenny-remote-belated: apologies, i am absentee and belated to the notes! she/her. fav app right now is Wigle (WiFi wardriving!) - still finishing video wit robb. hope to have something before leaving town for 3 weeks ~July 4th. several updates in the notes below.

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • create github issue for website for security FAQ
    • mai: im interested in helping as a way to learn more about security
    • sierk: talked to ben about this last week. people have to be responsible for their own security--not secure by virtue of using the network. since we're an educational nonprofit it makes sense to have educational materials.
    • mai: also important to emphasize that it's not any less secure than any other network
    • bengo: maybe a comparison table sudomesh vs. normal isp
    • sierk: could also make a security team. would be good for us to have people dedicated to this.
    • bengo: quarterly security review.

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Benny: fixed a peoples-open front bug #1, also fixed the monitor so it shows when a node was actually last seen
  • Jenny-remote-belated: video primarily delayed cuz we were trying to film nodes flashed with v.0.3 pre-release that Grant deployed last week (yay! ty grant! now errybody test it!) - had some issues following the walkthrough (and assorted technical difficulty circus I won't bore you with, but may write a satirical post about at some point this summer :P). Updated the Walkthrough to reflect autoconf as well as node port standards on latest batch of N600s: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/WalkThrough

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • eenblam-remote: since StorQuest seems like a no-go, can we make Reed Bros. happen this week? I'm available after Wednesday.
  • bengo: are they ready and waiting?
  • mai: ya someone talked to them about a mount and they seemed down — last person who said they would get in touch was lesley
  • ACTION bengo: reach out to lesley to pick up communication thread. Schedule time with Reed Bros
  • bengo: I could go thursday or friday this week
  • jehan: I could go friday
  • mai: I could go thurs or fri
  • jenny-remote-belated: with the videomaking deadline, reflashed livelabs node(s) - 2 more gateways, + 2 extender nodes (pointing NW toward Scott and SE to Hearth - third pointing SW to be connected once we reroute cableage as the kitchen power scene is currently a clusterfuck o.0)
  • jenny-remote-belated: heard back from lolspace/liberate 23rd ave tonight! - "We had another meeting and approved the mesh network; we just need to make sure the wiring doesn't get in the way of the tenants and we'll need the antenna taken down for a bit while we redo our roof sometime in the next 2 years-ish. What do we need to do next to get rolling with this? I'm cc'ing Jen, our point person at Oakland Community Land Trust, who's also interested in maybe having an antenna set up at her spot too. Please contact her directly. Thanks! "
    • also gonna attempt fixing david & niki node and bringing a node to First They Came for the Homeless for their meeting Thursday... that is if we ever escape videomaking purgatory...
  • jenny-remote-belated: created this aspirational network topology diagram for 2018 while working on video: https://github.com/sudomesh/propaganda/tree/master/infographics/2018_Network_Goals_Roadmap

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Sudo Mesh Comms Channels Venn Diagram: meshcomms_venndiagram.png
  • benny: we went as a group to b4bel4b to see an exhibit on internet and surveillance. Would anyone be interested to go to MOAD as a group to see this exhibit -- https://www.moadsf.org/exhibition/digitalia-art-the-economy-of-ideas/
  • bengo, mai: +1
  • MOZILLA GRANT SUBMITTED ON FRIDAY WOOOOOOOOOO THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO WORKED ON IT (also jenny and robb are still working on the video)
  • sierk - if we like how this working process went, maybe we should reflect on whether we want to continue setting our own deadlines for future projects?
  • jenny-remote-belated: Decentralized Web summit folks offered me a ticket. When I asked how many from sudomesh I could +1, they said, "We'd love to invite the sudomesh community but would they be willing to volunteer in exchange? We could offer them a $50 ticket with a four-hour volunteer shift. Here's the thing: each attendee costs the Internet Archive $536, so with the sliding scale, the only way we can break even is if there is enough $750 tickets sold to cover the $400 non-profit tix. But we really need good volunteers to run the time clocks, organize the participants in a room, man registration, etc. So if sudomesh members are willing to do that, we'd welcome as many as want to come."
    • adding email to the events trello, just indicate "sudo mesh" for discount ticket - ping me if you need my freebie, am down to swap!
    • I also mentioned that we were discussing hosting an unconferency/informal-style event the weekend after the conf, and they said, "There's nothing planned the weekend after, so by all means, host as many folks as will stick around for the weekend! We're happy to hand out flyers with registration or help get the word out in any way."
      • mentioned this also separately to Gunner (AspirationTech), who said, "Sounds cool! Keep me posted. We would be happy to chip is with some funds for food and bevs." (didn't ask him directly to participate, was just feeling out the decentralized web sitch)
  • jenny-remote-belated: reminder: will be presenting at Our Networks in Toronto ~July 14th - can you come? perhaps we could allocate some funds from the mozilla grant to travel sponsorships? juul will also be presenting http://fread.ink at HOPE (sierk, this would be your kindle replacement app...appstore!)

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • Discussion (5min): bengo: There is this kanban board, should we review it each meeting to keep up to date? https://github.com/orgs/sudomesh/projects/2
  • sierk: we discussed moving away from github. what if we just used trello and set this up when we get on gitlab?
  • blake: I'd argue against using gitlab because github is important for maintaining visibility to our project
  • sierk: ya i agree. i think we should definitely mirror our repos on github so something is still there. marc felt pretty strongly about github.
  • sven: have you heard of framasoft, non profit which motto is "let's de-googlize internet". provide a bunch of collaborative software. (blog in french : https://framablog.org/_
  • bengo: im gonna go to the trello board that exists and see if it's already set up for what im going for here. my primary concern is about having a single place where we can send people to find out what's being worked on.
  • mai: i think in general we should look at our trellos during these meetings, so its not an extra step to go there and drag the cards around
  • jenny-remote-belated: worked pretty intensely to set up the trello boards, which are also integrated with the rocketchat - but so is github. this kanban board looks firmware-specific... internal logistics / bureaucracy trello is principally: brainstorms/roadmap, finance/fundraising, gov't filings, and nonprofit docs (eg 501c3 letter, business plan, insurance leads, bylaws etc)

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:
  • a wild lesley appears
  • lesley - one of the ones i was excited about is delayed because jeff moved. am excited about it because we'd have 2 four-story buildings in a neighborhood of 2-story buildings.
  • bengo and lesley plan to coordinate about reed brothers
  • mai - a guy who lived in jeff's building named john henry came by--i can send you his email

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: benny volunteers, mai is backup, lesley will probably be there too (but is organizing a 7pm machine learning discussion group at sudo)
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

copied from seth's update: tried to flash a router but didnt have a usb eth adapter. will have one next time.

  • mai: we made some moves to clean up our wiki in preparation for the grant proposal, so we could continue that this office hours
  • theme: wiki and project ergonomics

Action Items

  • create github issue about making faq/security page on website (benny)
  • leslie to email me eenblam, whoever else about Reed Bros (leslie)
  • talk to commons building that is being built and will block our LOS to paxio (jehan)
  • follow up with b4bel4b about doing a mount and about when our office hours and meetings are because one of the artists is interested in coming (mai)
  • follow up with hearth node mount (blake)
    • eenblam - I have Hearth's nanobeam at my place. Can reflash and take by there, or we can use a different one. Whatever's clever.
      • jenny-remote-belated: yay! livelabs nodes are back online, ping me and/or marc so we can coordinate aiming!
  • [sierk]: research rise up and austin yellow bike project about non-profits transitioning to paying people. contact them, ask them what they're willing to share. (sierk in 2 weeks)
  • finish video [jenny/robb]
  • circle back with lolspace/liberate 23rd ave [jenny]
  • circle back w/ archive folks & peef [jenny/juul]

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting