Mesh/26 March 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 26 March 2019 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Check in on ongoing projects (10 mins)
  • Discussion: Next BYOI (15 mins)
  • Weekly updates/check-ins (10 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What's something you hear about all the time that doesn't make/never made sense to you?
  • Tom - he/we/they - the electoral college and 401ks
    • Seth - he/they - i still don't really understand the way people use the word anxious (thought it meant dying to go somewhwere, but people use it to mean stressed)
    • Tyler - he/him - rag chewing - something about long conversations on ham radio
    • Ben - he/they - icebreaker questions -- i think there're things that qualify but not coming to mind
    • Mai - she/they - i feel like i have a lot of them -- there's a term people say about a yes/no, but can't remember right now - recent one was thinking people are living in alternate societal/political realities, not seeing facts ofsituations
    • Benny -he/him - can't think of something.
    • Null - he/him - i do this all the time -- build words i dont know into a pyramid of connections that make sense to me. also agree to disagree.
    • doyouhaveamirror - *plays Beatles*

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and paste action items below:

  • e-mail other community wifi groups about rooftop insurance @bennlich
    • still TODO
  • adding neighbor outreach pamphlet to Loomio @iamai
    • did it! if you are a pon steward, please go to loomio to vote!
  • get in touch with chuck / mary jo and terry @iamai @eenblam
    • chuck node fixed--still need to go to MJ + Ts place. they bougth a sonic subscription because they really needed internet.
  • script for updating nodes re: new tunneldigger config @bennlich
  • revisit priorities brainstorm pad and report back @bennlich
    • still TODO
  • ping golden gate paxio link @bennlich
    • still TODO
  • poke ryan about marina @tunabananas
    • jenny not present
  • handshake tokens @juul
    • juul is not present
  • ping david and niki re: sunday @tunabananas
    • jenny not present
  • create wiki page about EMF radiation @sierk @tunabananas
    • sierk and jenny not present
  • any reply from LOLSpace? @tunabananas
    • jenny not present
  • document battery-powered node in a waterproof bag @juul
    • juul not present

Weekly updates/check-ins

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and paste weekly update items below:

  • Internet Archive link
    • Benny: What's the direction on that? Marina?
    • Mai: Yeah. Marina is the direction. I think we should re-up the direction of e-mailing hacker/politically aligned list and see fi they have a line of site.
    • Mai: question -- did juul say it needed to be a multihop link?
    • Mai: I'll email that building in Albany that has LOS to Internet Archive http://baysidecommons.org/
    • Tom: interested in helping out!
  • Paxio link
  • Golden gate paxio link
    • Benny: TODO above
  • Chuck/MJT link
    • Chuck patched his node! Hooray!
    • Mai will patch MJT's node
  • Hurricane Electric Exitnode
    • null: last step is to test the setup
    • bennlich will coordinatte w/ null
  • People's Park
    • juul
  • ToMesh Workshop
    • Benny: Definitely happening! April 6th. Going to send out confirmation e-mail to those who expressed interest. Thinking it'll be in the afternoon 12-3pm or late afternoon 2-5pm or early eve 4-7pm
      • seth, mai, ben, sierk, pam, lesley <-- if you're interested and not on here, please add your name


Other Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Recent issues: https://peoplesopen.net/issues. For a list of recent Github activity, see the widget at the bottom of https://peoplesopen.net/learn/development/.

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • seth: @juul - I went to a show on the rooftop of this building the other day: 5850 San Pablo Ave, Oakland, CA 94608. Maybe they have LOS to the GoldenGate neighborhood location with a gig of BWidth to donate?
  • mai: Breakout group to reach out to some requested node spots? We should see if any of them are in West Oakland or in the Grand Lake area or anywhere else wheere we already have a PON node

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Mai: Oakland ISP Choice ordinance is moving forward. There are going to be some meetings.


Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • mai: We need to reschedule meetings and figure out what other types of duties and tasks we want to take lead on.

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room to talk to people, work on sudomesh projects, and schedule node mounts.

  • mai will be there, null will be there, and seth will probably be there
  • To sign up to bottomline, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours
  • Ongoing node mounting spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:
    • We mounted the node at Hearth! It is now meshing with LiveLabs and is bridging two exit nodes
  • This Sunday is World Backup day!

Discussion: Next BYOI

  • April 13th?
    • Too soon! Bump it back... May 4th?
  • Still down for the library?
    • Temescal and Golden Gate have a space bigger than our meeting area, smaller than the ballroom. Often booked Saturday, not open Sundays
    • Has to be between 10 and 5:30 at West Oakland.

Discussion: Newbies Welcome Hang Out

  • Introduction / how the internet works
  • Show movie (?)
  • Flash nodes
  • Direction finding / scavenger hunt with Yagi antennas

Action Items

  • e-mail other community wifi groups about rooftop insurance @bennlich
  • revisit priorities brainstorm pad and report back @bennlich
  • ping golden gate paxio link @bennlich
  • poke ryan about marina @tunabananas
  • handshake tokens @juul
  • ping david and niki re: sunday @tunabananas
  • create wiki page about EMF radiation @sierk @tunabananas
  • any reply from LOLSpace? @tunabananas
  • document battery-powered node in a waterproof bag @juul
  • understand how people get peoplesopen.net e-mail addresses
  • e-mail bayside commons coa about putting an antenna on the rood @iamai
  • coordinate w/ null about HE exitnode fix @bennlich
  • Look at room calendar for Oakland libraries @iamai

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • e-mailing people on seth's list
  • looking at map of places near west oakland library

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting