Mesh/27 Feb 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 27 February 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • This Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Finance Expenditures (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Firmware/Software Roadmap (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Announcement of Mozilla/NSF WINS Grant
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: favorite show growing up
  • mai - she/they, saved by the bell,
  • bengo - rugrats, same birthday as tommy pickels
  • sierk - trying to think of something not dutch, the young ones
  • jason - fraggle rock, drove by all the time, was curious, found us online, sounded pretty cool, done programming, nothing with firmware
  • grant - he/they, arthur,
  • jenny - she/her, finally watching Star Trek NG, growing pains
  • robb - he/him benson
  • benny - he/him/they
  • eve -
  • judy - she/her

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Document RocketChat instance - grant - in progress https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/PeoplesOpenChat
  • Move peoplesopen.network to Migadu instance - Jenny - in-progress, verifying DNS changes
  • Follow up with AJ+ - Jenny - still not sure what to say :/ - will ping
  • Follow up with Benny + Jeremy on Rocket.Chat to debug iOS app - Mai - sent Jeremy @ rocket.chat details, haven't checked in with Benny
  • Send community survey to mailing list to solicit volunteer help for projects - Mai - in progress
  • Patch makenode - bug #5 + bug # 17 - grant - in progress, created https://github.com/sudomesh/patches
    • Need to discuss deployment across nodes and who has access to the nodes
  • Contact Diane re: Power - jenny, robb - done
    • did contact, but...
    • robb: never came across outdoor 24V outdoor power supply, had an additional wire that needed to be connected to work properly
  • Contact Jonah re: Richmond tower - Jenny - not done, waiting on decision re: gear needed
  • Spec out gear for Richmond tower - Ben and anyone interested, - didn't happen yet, need to discuss (in #node-mounting maybe?)
  • procure equipment and coordinate with Jeff for Benvenue mount - Ben - in progress, need less conspicuous mast + long cable, heading back on Sun 3/11
  • Give access to passpack to Mai, Robb, ? - Jenny - done
  • ping Ryan G re: electrical issues w/ Dev's place - jenny - done, he's down, but maybe we should ask doug? grant put doug and dev in contact, hopefully they can coordinate a time
  • respond to Dev about group's position, agree on plans for moving forward - grant - done, he's good, but still needs help with electrical work

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • 1) Public & private network traffic route through same IP - open, needs a patch
  • 2) Give priority to non-peoplesopen traffic - rather than % bandwidth, prioritize private traffic over public traffic (eg, when not home, all bandwidth can be allocated to the public network)
    • sierk: via jorrit - percentage set by the tunnel - -> how to allocate dynamically on the tunneldigger
  • 4) netflix traffic blocked
  • 5) disable debug logging - benny working on this, patching
  • 8) tunnelbroker fails intermittently - exitnode issues. jorrit fixed a lot of this. new exit node up & running
  • 17) add more exit nodes - grant wrote a patch for this. needs to be tested thoroughly and pushed from server -> nodes on the network
    • Bengo - made a script that spins up exit nodes. anyone can use this script to build an exit nodes:
  • 18) Define remote node patch procedure - plz join the conversation - https://github.com/sudomesh/bugs/issues/18
    • related to #20 - define who has remote node access
  • bengo made https://gitlab.ops.bengo.is/ben/mesh-network#digitalocean-exitnode - an easy script to spin up exitnodes in digitalocean droplets

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • Report backs?
  • mai - already reported back on jeff's and dianes
  • benny: doug was super nice, had a big ladder. we were 5-6 people.
    • benny: was wondering how many people grant knew, we were very lax, but we checked with him first, hopefully help with electricity.
    • grant: currently pointing toward Dev's (thought i could see it thru binoculars). also has a good view to the northeast (toward rockridge). trained 4 newbies!
    • benny - also learned we should always bring a roll of cable
    • eve - cost of crimpers?
      • jenny - from precision, $70, but can find them on ebay for $35
        • eve would like to buy us a pair
    • benny - do we have a "hey you had a mount!" card to give to people after a node mount,
      • name of folks who participated in the mount, node owners's manual, certificate of participation?, privacy/access notes, what is the status of the mount (is everything up and running? anything need fixing? could tie into our own internal logs about which deployments need more work)

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • sierk - newsletter, was gonna work on it today and send it out soon.
  • sierk: would like to change the newsletter layout, currently using a default mailchimp template
  • jenny setup disaster radio facebook page
  • got an inquiry from someone named mondo, would like flyers for their neighborhood
    • who would like to receive and reply to emails sent to info@peoplesopen.net? ping jenny [yes - bengo, ?]
  • grant - heard back from Amos (Alameda) is bringing 4-5 people on Sunday March 18th

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • Business plan and budget for Sudomesh Directors' Insurance
    • eve: jenny, you are awesome. i salute you.

This Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount: Possibly 1) scouting at Ed's; 2) treemount at Scott's; 3)

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: Benny unless someone else wants to do it. Sierk, Mai, Grant will probably be there
    • Theme: Node Owner's Guide?
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:
    • Three node mounts attempted, one success!
    • Nodes were flashed!
      • Mai flashed a Nanobridge
      • Benny flashed an extender node (maybe a Nanobridge? I don't know the names...)
      • Doug came and learned about sudomesh
      • Someone else came and learned about sudomesh and asked a bunch of technical questions
    • need to make an image for powerbeam (which we have several of)

Proposal: Finance Expenditures

Jenny would like to pay for the following from the sudomesh bank account:

  • Table at Allied Media Conference ($100) +2
    • Grant down to propose a workshop [mai, jenny, ? will help]
    • Sierk: Possible to demo a tinymesh and/or bring some nodes to sell?
  • Quickbooks Online monthly subscription ($13.50/mo for 6 months, then $27/mo)
  • 2 pairs EZ Crimpers ($66)
  • Large cable clips (4 bags x 100 pieces @ $5/bag = $25)
  • 2 boxes grounded shielded outdoor ethernet cable ($270)
  • Grounded Shielded RJ45s (4 x 10 pieces @ $16/set = $64)
  • Regular indoor RJ45s (4 x 100 pieces @ $4.25/set = $17)

Total: $442 + $13.50 recurring monthly

  • Consenso? yes \o/

Discussion: Firmware/Software Roadmap

  • What do we want the sudowrt-firmware and peoplesopen-dash to look like by, let's say, June...
  • exciting discussion on github regarding how apply updates and keep node operators informed, https://github.com/sudomesh/bugs/issues/20
  • grant: decided at strategic planning meeting that we wanted to get to zeroconf by june
    • mai: blake had said he wanted to organize a dedicated meeting on this issue

Discussion: Announcement of Mozilla/NSF WINS Grant

  • Put it in the newsletter
  • Press release - to press list
  • Social networks: Twitter, FB, Instagram
  • Other orgs: Outreach to TWC, Media Alliance, Internet Archive, SF MIX, EFF, Credo, net neutrality
  • Mailing lists: noisebridge, battlemesh, opentechinstitute, omni, double union, spaghettinight, sudo-discuss

Action Items

  • Node mount owners' package - node owners' manual, exit survey, certificate, what to do next, contact info
  • Spec out gear for Richmond tower - Ben and anyone interested
  • Check in with Dev and Doug re: electrical situation [grant]
  • PON Newsletter: BYOI recap, Mozilla/NSF WINS grant, bugs, strategy meeting re-cap + survey, BYOI office hours [sierk & co]
  • Gather content, customize template, and send newsletter before Tue 3/6 - Sierk
  • Finalize Business Plan for Sudomesh Directors Insurance - Jenny, Mai,
  • Finalize Sudomesh Budget for Sudomesh Directors Insurance - Mai
  • Ping Mitar re: coops (Jenny [cc sierk, mai, grant, ?])
  • Ping Ed re: scouting on Sunday [sierk]
  • Print sign up sheets for BYOI Office Hours (Benny)
  • Organize firmware/software roadmap meetup {Blake}
  • Create an instagram account for PON [mai]
  • figure out comrades w/ the net neutrality protest [judy]
  • buy all the things [jenny]

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • Node mount outreach for Sun March 4
  • Firmware/software roadmap

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/20_Feb_2018

End of Meeting