Mesh/27 March 2014
March 27th General Meeting https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudomesh
- Jeremy, Noemie, Max, Alex, Jenny, Daniel, Britt, Jacob, Deekoo
- Jeremy working on a slide deck
- Noemie finished interview questions for the mesh video! Check them out, edit at will
- Video promotion collaboration document: https://pad.riseup.net/p/mesh-promotion
- Max finishing the captive portal tonight (for real this time!)
- Alex has a node - it's been crashing. He's going to file a bug report
- Jenny has been working on outreach stuff - Knight News grant. Also big $ google grant. Jenny has a graphic designer housemate!
- Google grant site: https://impactchallenge.withgoogle.com/bayarea2014/ (due March 31, 2014)
- Google grant collaboration document: https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudomeshgoogrant
- Daniel requests better audio
- Britt wants to help build and branch the network! He might be able to set up nodes in new places!
- Jacob works with Copwatch. Can help with mounting nodes, etc.!
- Deekoo has been working on the mirroring system for replicatable builds. It is F@$#&$ done! We need to integrate it with the build server and start auditing it!
- Dan got OpenWRT on his Raspberry Pi, wants to patch it to get the wifi adapter working
- Noemie met an ESL teacher in Richmond whose students don't have access to Internet - can we donate an antenna to them? -
- What goes into setting up a node?
-Few different types: 5GHz, 2.4GHz etc; - Plugging into a router with an existing connection to the Internet is the easiest to set up. -Backbone links need to be mounted high (flagpoles helpful)
- State of the mesh right now?
-We're currently doing a developer launch of ~20 nodes, with plans to do a wider public deployment in the next few months
- Is there a wishlist?
- We need good documentation for Deekoo's build server proxy
- Preliminary documentation (and the source) is at http://build.sudomesh.org/~deekoo/ (link should be available from within sudoroom; might not be available from outside.) -> added to wiki: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Build_An_OpenWRT_Image (needs cleaning)
- We also need good documentation for any work Dan does to set up OpenWRT on Raspberry Pi and wifi adapter
- Maxb is going to help Deekoo with git in order to put up github
- Jenny is going to write at least two blog posts. One on NCL, one on pollination grant, and a reportback on roadtrip
- Building enclosures and such for the Sparkys
- Update our Nodeshot instance, says Federico of Ninux
- Figure out why Dan's node is crashing
- Nobody was talking with Chris J and they were thinking that we need a middle point between Richmond (and the internet archive) and the rest of Oakland.
- Perhaps we can just talk with the internet archive and ask them to host one of our directional nodes/antennas that we can point at Chris J
- Richmond schools! Richmond High is very close to the Archive node
- Continue adding to the outreach spreadsheet:
- Roadmap would be good!
- Update budget
- Add minutes
- Ping Checkouts
- Update the Wishlist: http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Wishlist
- Add things like crimpers, mounting brackets, flagpoles, hyper-emphasize the need for *shielded* outdoor cable
- Add to the FAQ: h