Mesh/28 Nov 2017
Peoples Open Meeting - Nov 28, 2017
Loran, Marc, Jorrit, Paul, Scott, Sierk, Jehan, Blake, Jenny
- Loran - got sonic isp; got a firmware build running; b
- Jorrit - got a firmware build flashed on node; fixed secrets certificates;
- Paul - new to the project; interested in LoRA /node;
- Scott - Still working on board layout modifications for disaster.radio
- Sierk - planning to work on the website and newsletter;
- Jehan - is there a node mount? Jenny suggests Chris J. he's close to the Internet Archive in Richmond. see SF fiber discussion below. Jehan set up transparent bridge.
- Discussion of extender nodes - no need to flash if using ethernet cable, or just as a point-to-point link - will not do meshing
- Jenny - Gerald is willing to share his bandwidth as long as https://github.com/sudomesh/sudowrt-firmware/issues/107 is implemented; Jenny tapped out of SF fiber meeting - disconnect with grassroots organizations; approach seems top-down.Been looking through the github repos and confused about which are being actively used, which are in need of help to fix / finish, and which are defunct/inactive; working on node-request form including some licensing.
- sierk - was also doing this last night at disaster.radio meeting. way to retire old repos is to move all the code to a diff branch, then put in README of master branch that it's abandoned
- juul - acquired a bunch of access points (motorola dual band / cannot be reflashed) - ~56 routers at ~$3/pop, sellable for $250 used, $500 new. could be used to spread signal over a large area (eg an apartment complex)
- fread.ink now has wifi and usb functionality! https://github.com/fread-ink - kindles can be acquired used for $25 and can act as controllers for disaster.radio nodes
- Figure out how to automate/improve the build loop; fold in patches
- BYOI - build your own internet workshop; why?
SF Fiber Discussion
- Notes copied to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zudkruClep80hSQaHG0L8Q0SX73DUp9LYe_MGbCli4o
- Jehan: Went to SF fiber meeting last Sunday; was a call for input, meetings are closed. City owns the glass (like roads/pipes); city assigns layer-2 concessionaire that handle end-to-end fiber connections; ISP would have to work with layer-2 to work. Thought it would be easier to get bandwidth, but when he explained layer2-concessionaire
- Jenny: My concerns are primarily about this groups lack of interest in hearing about existing solutions, 2) prior experience with City of Oakland's OpenOakland group sidelining such concerns/projects to a lip service 'digital divide' working group that resulted in nothing other than provide free research to the city; 2) city's projected budget ~$2mil, 3) given cost and inability to recoup costs (unless charging $60+ per customer), unlikely to give community-driven solutions an ear, and 3) they're leaning toward a public-private partnership, leasing the fiber to private companies in a 'free market competition' model
- jehan: what about water, sewage, roads?
Network Commons License
- First hammered out back in 2013 in Austin with over a dozen community wireless projects from around the world, including Guifi, Altermundi, and Freifunk: https://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Network_Commons_License
- Would be good to incorporate this more clearly in our own docs, and have new folks joining the network agree to the terms
- See NYC Mesh's incorporation of the NCL in their node request form: https://nycmesh.net/join/
- Marc: Same thing as a peering agreement, just a marketing angle
Sunday Node Mount
- Jenny & Jehan - mount/upgrade at ChrisJ's?
- Firmware - Jorrit, Loran,
- Etherpad - Grant
- Github review - Jenn
- inventory of hardware & tools
- inventory of Software ToDos (look through github repos)
- update firmware build documentation - jorrit,
- update wiki with 1023 app & mozilla grant apps - jenny
- reach out to unions re: how to get on their agendas - loran,
- add to outreach spreadsheet for next BYOI - everyone - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mDdVqWS96GbyZQGQQgFy30QBka1iK20DQDbd5b_Pjx4/edit#gid=384247552
- subscribe to & post to our patreon: https://www.patreon.com/peoplesopennet
- Need to hook the smokeping up with the new server? https://monitor.sudomesh.org/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?target=Mesh