Mesh/29 10 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to navigation Jump to search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 29 October 2019 7:30pm-9pm


  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (15 mins)
  • Announcements and Upcoming Events (10 mins)
  • Check Ins: Action Items & Active Projects (30 mins)
  • Check in on ongoing projects (15 mins)
  • Discussion items (10 min)
  • Wrap-up meeting (5 min)


Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • soundtrack to this meeting: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a97c9afe5d4fccb1439d79ae9612182c7a71ff23
  • jenny-she/her- involved since 2013, we recently like a week ago applied for up to $40k from the center for disability which is distroing funds to community-based orgs that are helping. it's governor newsom's bill for emergency prepearedness. we just heard back. they want numbers (how many people are we gonna help by december 2020).
  • tom - he/him - interested in the mesh for a long time, done one or two installs, wants to improve their own connectivity
  • benny - he/him - just travelled to pbgh so haven't been thinking about the mesh for a little while. There are a lot of hills there and abandoned buildings, and grant said that there's a mesh network there but didn't get in touch with them
  • jason - he/him - new here, went to Cal and volunteered at the Open Computing facility and currently live kitty corner from Omni
  • mai - she/her/they/them - been involved for two years now w/ peoplesopen but getting more into disaster radio now -- low powered devices that transmit 256 byte messages up to 10 miles. Cheap and solar powered. Lots of interest currently, working on raising money.
  • tyler - he/him - mostly involved in ham radio stuff, outreach, been thinking of potential node mounts of high priority. we're having a repeater painting party (at the HAM group) and i will try to squeeze in a site survery. it might happen this saturday.
  • dan/radar - he/him - pretty new here, got interested by tyler's presentation to the ham radio club. interested in - was chief engineer of a television station - put up a lot of 13/10GHz radio equipment. here to learn and to help be part of the solution
  • seth - he/they - :)
  • ibrahim - just left my stuff here by coincidence -- wasn't intending to join this meeting -- studying c++ at laney -- one thing that's been on my mind over the last five years: how to start a network after an earthquake hits, so funny that we ran into each other. also studying deep learning. thinking about using robots to do search and rescue. bay area native. great grand nephew of jimi hendrix, but i cant play guitar.
  • marc/juul - he/him - ive been looking at foo over udp -- a different way to do tunneling
  • loren - he/him - from berkeley, has been to the meeting a few times, also works at Open Computing Facility, interested to be more involved, maybe node mounts?
  • vanessa - she/her - first time here, Loren brought her here

Meeting Roles

Announcements and Upcoming Events

  • from Tracy Rosenberg re: Oakland Internet Choice:> It has been a long road, but I'm very pleased to announce that it looks likely that Council president Rebecca Kaplan will champion our Communications Choice effort in early 2020!> In order to support the office, we need to demonstrate community support in the next 60-90 days. Here's a link to send Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan an e-mail in support of this initiative:

In case you don't already know: the Oakland Internet Choice effort is working on passing a city ordinance that requires landlords of large multi-tenant buildings to allow any qualified Internet service provider to serve their tenants. It's based on a similar ordinance that recently passed in SF, and has already upset giant ISPs who were getting used to making exclusive deals with landlords. More info in the above link.

Please forward to your friends in Oakland. This is huge! It's a necessary step in making it possible for independent (and community) ISPs to compete with the incumbent monopolies.

  • DevSummit / Aspiration Tech / Non-profit software development summit is November 6th through 8th this year and it is awesome. It's run very unconf style. One of the best-facilitated conferences. Brings together activists and non-profit folks who intersect with technology in different ways. Gunnar (organizer) sent a code for people interested in going. I guess in turn I was thinking of us donating some amount to co-sponsor the event.*
  • The Commons film will be screened November 9th. Saturday. It includes interviews from way back in old sudo room.
  • Someone ported psilocybin production into ecoli
    • 10.1016/j.ymben.2019.09.009

Pending Proposals update

  • one core need right now is help finding best quotes for components - trying to keep nodes to >$50/ea - solar panels, lithium-ion-phosphate batteries
    • steven dunnoford (of would probably help for $$, does this all day
  • sheets of pcb that don't have copper on them, so we can use them as canvasses for copper tape ant
  • will be making proposals to fund juul and fitz for engineering work, mai and jenny for grantwriting/fundraising

When's the Meet-Up This Monennasth?

  • What: swag making party
  • When: Sunday Nov 9 2-4pm
  • Where:
  • Who:
    • Bottomliners:

Check Ins: Action Items & Active Projects

Check for Blocked items.

Trello Boards

Action Items

Copy and paste from previous action items above, delete completed ones, and add new ones:

Last Meeting Notes

Wrap-up Meeting