Mesh/29 May 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 29 May 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Discussion: Mozilla WINS Grant Stage 2 (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: boats?
  • Blake - building a shunt rig / sailing outrigger
  • Robb - wanna boat
  • Marc - grew up in a place wit a ltta little islands and sailed around a bunch
  • Seth - trying to get rid of a boat
  • Max - bought a boat today!
  • lesley - afraid to sail into intl waters with someone who makes lots of cannibalism jokes and is much stronger than me @_@ as long as we have plenty of food the whole time
    • potentially this sunday, node mount w/ jason who was here last week (card in trello)
    • I told Reed Brothers "the next few weeks." They asked that we come in on a weekday in the morning.
  • sierk: lived on one, sailed on one, i dunno... few months on 5th ave marina. uncle had big pirate party, huge masts, in amsterdam. everyone dressed all fancy. weed/coffeeshop scene anon party spot
  • ben: lived on a boat for a minute
    • github.com/sudomesh/monitor supports multiple exit nodes as of #24! Check it out! https://peoplesopen.herokuapp.com/
    • Mesh cage inventory + reorganization rescheduled to Monday 06/04 around 4pm/5pm. Anyone from Accounting-wg want to add anything?
      • jenny: Robb suggested getting rope & cleats (we have pulleys and hooks and whatnot) to hoist some of the equipment closer to the ceiling. Add your name to the notes if you're available?
  • jenny: I really have nothing to say about boats.
    • Announcement: heard back from Pief. "Sure." Site survey on Sunday?
      • marc: already has equipment there. could upgrade bandwidth. has an airfiber connected to richmond tower. no reason not to just add our existing airfiber to his install (airfiber 5) and double his bandwidth.
        • ben: mostly a matter of seeing if the 5GHz link would link, possible fresnel off the freeway
    • Sent a proposal to LOLspace about their link yesterday. Linked in Trello.
  • mai: I'm going to Camp Tipsy every year, forever, to build boats out of garbage. June 21-24.
    • Announcement: B4bel4b - Softwar(e) exhibit - Sunday June 3rd @ 8pm. They also want a site survey!
      • jenny - Chinatown? Like 10th & Broadway?
    • also loomio discussion re: relationship with omni:
      • robb: finance wg discussed, think lease should be with omni (as sudomesh is its own 501c3 entity, and sudo is a fiscally sponsored project of omni), with a concurrent reduction to sudo rent in the contract
  • jenny
    • Announcement: heard back from Pief. Site survey on Sunday?
    • alameda county budget proposals being discussed amongst a forming grassroots group rooted in Critical Resistance - David put us on the proposal agenda
  • marc: today the icebreaker - which is a boat - was moved to the drydock. half-owned by brewster


Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Fill out, sign and file official minutes in our drive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPTlOhnzx5RObrHp_cbyMZ660wsaetin0kZpBsEAk3k/edit (see below) - [secretary]
  • All new directors to sign the Conflict of Interest policy - [jenny will send]
  • File new Statement of Information (SI-100) - [secretary]
  • Jenny is talking to lawyer and bringing up questions people have. We should start a doc to gather the question. Lawyer just came back from vacation. We'd have to pay ~$125 an hour. We've done this in the past we're trying to make critical decisions and it has been enormously helpful. He is specialized in non-profits / co-op law.
  • ^^ this is all about amending our bylaws and possibly forming a parallel or complementary entity or converting this entity into: a worker co-op type model
  • Pad for preparing questions for the lawyer https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/questions-for-our-lawyer

^^ Questions about different models for how we can have people who are being paid / paying themselves to e.g. mount / support mesh gear. There are lots of different models: E.g. converting existing non-profit to co-op. Starting a separate co-op. Starting a separate other organization. Contracting. What kinds of relationship we'd want between the orgs (e.g. money could feed back into the non-profit from the for-profit in the form of trademark licensing fees).

  • doodle poll of peoples availability for a meeting with jesse - mai will set up

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • multiple exit nodes - ben - #24
  • routing table borked (monitor) -

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • site survey @ peef's sunday - ben / ? [he suggested 1 was fine] - airfibers a pain to align. need to have both climbs at same time. gonna be slower, haul radio up there assembled, lotsa
    • marc: good thing is peef's already installed one, so may have recs
      • max: pretty used to climbing with backpacks, would feel comfortable doing it
        • ben: will take longer than usual, lotsa coordination with the other end.
    • may also want to coordinate w/ archive folks and practice aligning at some height (not necessarily a tower)
  • start an email thread?
  • Marc: need some battery packs and a park to test
    • could actually do it as a barbeque at mosswood
  • ed link looked badass*
  • Mai: getting quotes from Storquest for mounting a connection to paxio, getting a quote of $400/500 a month from sites owned by ClearChannel, managed by Vertical Bridge.
    • robb: are we fairly confident lynn & jim's can't see paxio?
      • mai: storquest seemed very amenable to paxio - they replied way mre quickly after we mentioned them. try to negotiate down to ~$200/ or so
        • robb: suggest in-kind donation / tax writeoff
  • lesley: reed brothers this week and jason's this sunday?
    • robb, ben, blake can do weekday meetup with reed bros
    • sunday flexible, anyone available? - extender node on roof.
      • seth available. lesley & seth to flash an extender node n thurs, jenny can transport til 3 or so sunday

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Hackathon for Mozilla grant: what are peoples' availability?
  • sierk - part of this sunday, then weekend of the 8th - not available
  • mai - going out of town next weekend (8/9th)
  • ben - following weekend unavailable, then
  • blake - unavailable before the 5th
  • Robb - unavailable sat night
  • marc: parents here this coming weekend
  • seth: im around
    • FINAL HACKATHON THE 16TH 12-4PM ***

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer:
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

BYOI - 27 May 2018

attendees

  • ben, mai, benny, jakur, marc, jenny, ?? [didn't catch name of other guy

notes

  • jafar worked on Alameda Wireless, a community network with an SFLan backhaul, back in 2003-2010: https://web.archive.org/web/20100610104729/http://alamedawireless.org:80/
  • margaret from Sojourner Truth free speech radio down in LA wants to interview the mesh:
  • bank account nearly open, need will's sig and finalized board resolution
  • jenny pinged Peef (urban ore tower) re: site survey next saturday

discussions

patreon levels

  • $20 - sponsor a home node for someone who can't afford it
  • $100 - sponsor an extender node
  • $150 - spnsor a node mount
  • $400 - sponsor a supernode (to borrow nycmesh language)

mozilla round 2

  • https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jaMwjvCEiNETpSZRHJlmGPBWgi6vErHHTNoXVBOi2ow/edit#
  • due: june 22nd
  • hackathon this Saturday, perhaps?
  • application reqs:
    • >5min video demoing the working prototype
      • get video from upcoming node mounts, esp LOlspace & Archive tower
    • demonstrate replicability
      • jenny: maybe ask OlyMesh & emerging Portland mesh to vidchat with us telling us what they found most useful in our documentation/resources?
    • possible live demo requirement
      • cow/chicken, get some local applications up & running?

action items

  • jenny: send 2017 RRF-1 and 990 confirmation (reply to Attorney General)
  • jenny: repinging Devi (lolspace/liberate 23rd ave)

Discussion: Mozilla WINS Grant Stage 2

  • Mozilla WINS Grant draft folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4_Q7DQvNFT-V0lLTEs1dDM2U0k
  • What do we need to do to enter Stage II of the Mozilla WINS Grant? The application is due June 22.
  • HackHackHack Saturday
  • DisasterRadio stuff - next Monday? Tuesday?
  • Getting IPv6 up and running necessary to get mDNS working to announce local services
    • may be prudent to ping mesh list to ask for tips
    • between mesh and exit nodes broadcast {lost it]
    • could possibly set up ssb, or ipfs, dat
    • focus on the people, in the world, using it
    • mebbe cow & chicken
  • probably would want us to do a live demo
  • could do something here at an event w/ a livestream

Action Items

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • Discussion with Jason
  • DisasterRadio checkin

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting