Mesh/2 October 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 2 October 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Discussion: What should our internal project proposals look like? (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What is your favorite gift to give and/or receive?
  • grant - he/they - favorite gift to give or receive is one that is made by hand
    • benny/jenny - it's grant's birthday!
    • jenny - maybe sunday we should have a joint birthday party
  • robb - he/him - favorite gift is one found
  • jon - he/him - favorite gift to give/receive is knowledge
  • seth - he/they - favorite gift to receive is cashews/walnuts
  • jenny - she/her - favorite gift to give/receive is books, specifically ursula le guinn novels. i also give a lot of 5th sacred thing (starhawk). (bay area separated from the resit of california -- city of refuge follow up).
  • benny - he/him - favorite gift to give/receive - little blank hand-sown books
    • meshed granny squares at the next BYOI !!!
  • scott - he/him -i like to give books or food, or i used to do a lot of jewelry, but that's hard because it takes time and i get anxious
  • martin - he - usually i like to gift people with my presence--this is my gift to you--you're all welcome. mostly i like to receive things that are hand-crafted and that tell a story about the person. simple, not expensive, but a lot of care.
  • mai - she/they - either an unexpected food gift or a book that I like or that the other person would really be into
  • ben (eenblam) - he/they - i like getting chocolate. i like buying chocolate for other people too i guess, but maybe that's because i get to buy myself chocolate. (usually like dark; sea salt is fun)

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • check in with nic about whether we can use the 2 tix interchangeably over the 3 days - juul
    • jenny checked and yes, only jenny + juul used it.
    • scott - we tried to figure it out but didn't know what to do.
  • find someone who's happy to climb towers to mount radio on richmond tower (ben's friend?)
    • moving to next week (no eenblam)
    • mebbe scott
  • submit budget request for non-penetrating roof mounts - grant? juul?
    • grant - yes, thought we should order 2x roof mounts
    • scott - was talking with robb last week and we think we can make them for way cheaper
    • jenny - other thing grant submitted was slipmat
    • grant - ya should buy those
    • breakout sesh after / notes below
  • look at neighborly app and apply (benny)
    • applied! as a service provider
  • explore what a map of the mesh would look like (mai)
    • mai - punt 2 weeks and work with jenny
  • think about our communications systems -- make email list and rocket chat more present (benny)
    • punted to next week

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • benny - fixed bug with exitnode babeld restart script -- we still have regular outages (see http://peoplesopen.net/monitor), but now it takes just a few seconds instead of hours before all the nodes come back online
  • benny - at the last software wg we researched this babeld bug some more
  • grant - had some discussion with jorrit about which exitnode ips to include in the firmware -- one of the exitnodes in the list receives connections but does not provide any mesh routes. we also want to deprecate psychz.
    • propose hosting a new exit node at the internet archive
  • grant - there's a firmware rebuild issue
  • grant - now travis pushes back to builds.sudomesh.org so now we're doing nightly builds!
    • ben - is there an easy way to push a stable release?
    • grant - no it's still manual

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • reed bros - need help understanding how to use air os on the mesh. started debugging this at last sunday's office hours w/ juul. still more to figure out.
  • omni rooftop (air fiber! and omni rocket!)
    • airfiber still needs ground cable!
    • time to e-mail paxio?! eenblam
  • benny: anybody know what LOLspace's status is?
    • robb - originally we wanted to put a receiver in the village, but then we ran out of time and were unsure about the security of the receiver
    • jenny - village site was slated to move by mid november because of a seismic thing, but that's being pushed to mid-january, and the city is promising to provide village with available properties to move to by mid-october. Recently the village has lost a lot of equipment -- their shower truck was dismantled, solar panels stolen...
  • robb - someone at here nor there camp has a solar panel and is able to run his laptop all night. might be able to put a pole on his van. may involve puttin a telescoping pole on top of david and nicki's. i'm looking into it.
    • jenny - we should finish dave and nicki's.
    • grant - recommend putting up an omni antenna if you go back and spend time there.
    • eenblam - also recommend putting an omni on jeff's.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events


Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • Jenny and Benny issued reimbursements for everyone who requested it
  • Purchasing requests:
    • Grant clarified the roofmount equipment needs. were coonfused about laser gun (namely why and why this model which is ~$200 more than other similar models?)
  • ben - if we can get professional google earth, we'd get lidar data from that.
  • grant - i got some wirless wires -- supposedly can put openwrt on them

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:
    • make prototype non-penetrating roof mount (lead by scott and robb)
    • birthday party!

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer:
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

Discussion: What should our internal project proposals look like?

Action Items

  • find someone who's happy to climb towers to mount radio on richmond tower (ben's friend?)
    • scott doesn't mind the heights
  • see if we got a neighborly app receipt and put in google drive (benny)
  • schedule psychz deprecation session with juul (benny)
  • buy omni antennas (grant)
  • e-mail paxio (juul)
  • add ISOC proposal process to loomio discussion below (jenny)
  • new loomio thread for defining project proposal template (benny)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • rooftop mounts
  • airfiber + mesh
  • more landlord/ISP ordinance chats

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting