Mesh/30 07 2019
People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 30 July 2019 7:30pm-9pm
- Introductions and Meeting Roles (15 mins)
- Announcements and Upcoming Events (10 mins)
- Check Ins: Action Items & Active Projects (30 mins)
- Check in on ongoing projects (15 mins)
- Discussion items (10 min)
- Wrap-up meeting (5 min)
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements
- Icebreaker question:
- marc: he/him, acoustic coupler
- Tim: he/him, windows 7 laptop
- Sai, he/him, ms/dos 6.22 system with no backspace at his work in a clean rooom
- Mai, she/they, (questions whether there is such a thing as obselete tech), misses her boombox
- ben, he/they, recording things off the radio and having to wait for the thing you wanted to pirate
- seth, he/they, doorbells without cameras
- ben (toronto), he/him, IRC (I didn't check for months)
- kevin, he/him, cursive writing (i still write in cursive)
- tyler, he/him, packet radio bulleting board systems
- jenny, she/her, my first computer was an atari video game console. i'd like to think facebook is obsolete
- dinesh, we have a small collective in bangalore setting up a wifi mesh in a rural area so we can look at what's possible with the technology, indigenous archives, community radio
- Facilitator/s: mai
- Stacktaker: ben
- Notetaker/s: juul
- URL of this pad: https://peoplesopen.net/notes
Announcements and Upcoming Events
- mai: Brief recap / report-back of dWeb camp: It was a three-day (but really a week long) event at a mushroom farm south of pescadaro. Brought around 400 people to this outdoors space where people camped out and talked about what the future of a decentralized web would look like. These terms are very broad and also broad in the kinds of people that they brought. People working on everything from new blockchain tech, community physical networks, decentralized storage, decentralized social networks like scuttlebutt. People who are interested in technology who are thinking of it in terms of community building and also how to integrate it with ? and how it relates to our brains and bodies. Breathwork, yoga, art, honey, mushroom innoculation, sitting around campfires. Lots of lightning talks. Tim Berners lee talked about solid. People building networks with indigenous communities. Broad range of people.
- Dinesh: It was great but so many things, so missed most of it. The idea of dWeb was very broad. Not just technology. Good representation of people. Not so subtle theme: Corporations are taking over. Felt like we are maybe going in the right direction and looking at how technology can help people who aren't necessarily educated without asking "what are their qualitifications".
- kevin: I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Which I enjoyed because I got to know people who were on the farm as opposed to attendees and get their perspective. it was surprising to see that people knew a lot. One of the chefs was talking about proof of work and proof of stake which he knew about because of bitcoin. How people defined community there: i talked to a woman and wondered why was there such an emphasis on community (looking at the talks going on) she was thinking of networks like facebook "we don't like those anymore". But here "community" was used in the sense of people taking care of each other, instead of superficial networks. I felt like people were more interested in each-other as humans as opposed to "what's your title, what's your profession". More about human questions.
- jenny: like one long teen slumber party.
- kevin: yeah like a slumber party. went to a poetry reading in the dark. a community of care.
- ben (toronto): there are some common threads between people building their own community networks and people building p2p tech and this conference brought the two together. both have the potential for retaining local economic value and talent. I think there is currently a gap between a lot of the dweb tech and communication networks where the infrastructures and apps are built by people far away from the local community, thus even though the tech layer is "decentralized" the knowledge and economic relationships still extract from a community.
- ben: ben(toronto) designed this really cool network on site using espressobin.
- dinesh: curious about how it was built
- ben (toronto): i will write a blog post. briefly, there is a script that configures an sd card that has the OS then this is plugged into an espressobin.
- mai: someone's project is to resuccitate the old geocities site (neocities)
- ben (toronto): kyle is the person who runs neocities and he did a project where he took archived geocities sites and hosted them on a local network
- jenny: lots of camp fires, walks on the beach. really good to meet some scuttlebutt folks again, meet new community network folks and folks I already knew
- ben (toronto): bunch of folks made a physical model of the camp and how the nodes in the mesh at the camp are connected
When's the Meet-Up This Month?
- What: BBQ
- When: Sunday Aug 18
- Who: You!
- Bottomliners: Mai, eenblam, jenny
- Workshop on building a local mesh
- BYOI like the one at the library
- SSB, email/newsletter, rocket.chat,
Check Ins: Action Items & Active Projects
Check https://trello.com/b/wBKTQKDs/active-projects for Blocked items.
- INBOX ZERO
- Laurie mount (Claremont hills) - hardware is ready to go
- Peef AirFibers and possibly tower - this weekend maybe?
- Mobile citizen - 4G hotspots
- People's Open Network Presentation September 7th ORCA Ham radio meeting - presenters wanted!
- Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications
- Node Mounts: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts
- Bugs & Technical: Github: https://peoplesopen.net/issues, https://peoplesopen.net/learn/development/
- Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms
Copy and paste from previous action items above, delete completed ones, and add new ones:
- Talk to Jake after meeting re: Peef Airfibers ( @iamai + @eenblam )
- Possibly take down (and purchase) airfiber this weekend
- Get in touch with Mobile Citizen - customer service ( @juul )
- Quarterly reports - this Friday at 4pm @eenblam @tunabananas and anyone interested
- Follow up with person who has a farm in Richmond to build out mesh there @tunabananas
Last Meeting Notes
- link to previous meeting minutes
- CHANGE ME AFTER PASTING: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/10_December_1815
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the sudomesh wiki with the correct date format: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/DD_MONTH_YYYY
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mesh/Mesh_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous meeting notes are archived here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes