Mesh/30 October 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 30 October 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal X: (15 mins)
  • Discussion Y: (15 mins)
  • Discussion Z (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: favorite icebreaker question/activity
  • null - him/her - favorite icebreaker question is my favorite flavor of ice cream
  • mai - she/they - i like ones involving favorite memories: favorite summer, or comfort item
  • jenny - she/her - involved talking to the person next to you for 2 minutes and then you have to introduce them
  • seth-he/they- does drinking alcohol count?
  • ben (eenblam) - he/they - dunno if it'd be right for PON since we see each other every week, but 2 truths and a lie
  • juul - he/him - why am i all alone in here?
  • scott - he/him - describe a time when you were most happy
  • benny - he/him - something you wish all your friends knew about you
  • lesley - she/they/he - it's a hard question. I like, 'what is your final form?' although that's an extra hard question :p

announcements

  • mai: have an extra ticket for devsummit if someone wants to go - If so let me know via RC
  • ben: in touch with Rudy from Monkeybrains about getting donated bandwidth, will text him tomorrow.

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • e-mail yar about tcp activities (benny)
    • done!
  • Reach out to insurance broker recommended by Jesse - Jehan
    • jenny - I'll pick it back up and rope in Jehan, too
  • e-mail some spaces about richmond tower link (benny)
    • didn't get to it
    • seth is getting good at Google Earth; might be cool if we could *show* places that can see it
  • talk to marc about richmond tower server hardware (benny)
    • juul says we don't have anything fancy to put there, but we do have some old servers we could use
    • question for juul: what would be the ideal hardware we would want to put there? then: let's propose that to jonah and ask if he has anything similar--last time he came here, he said he probably had some hardware he would like to donate to us. in general jonah sounds super willing to help and collaborate--I think we should take him up on his energy in that regard. e.g. if we tell him at a high level what we want to happen there (e.g. run an exitnode) he might have good ideas. could have a breakout group to discuss our vision?
    • benny: what would do with a server there?
      • scott: should we be able to have users share space on it?
      • benny: maybe we should just use this hardware for things in which the location is more important
      • eenblam: we should at least get an exitnode on there and random project hosting
      • juul: what if we had scuttlebutt & DAT on ithttps://www.reddit.com/r/all/
  • create text for byoi eventbrite (mai)
    • haven't done it yet (~_~) going to be gone for a lot of November, would like to hand it off
    • benny - I can pick it up

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • benny: grant made lots of progress replacing psychz exitnode with less expensive digital ocean droplet. currently blocked by:
    • blocker: need to repoint disaster.radio to a new DO ip address. Who owns the DNS entry? Juul?

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • benny: seth researched LOS to richmond from urban ore
  • Follow up with Paxio?
  • Archive mount
    • ben: let's ask for rackspace
    • juul: Would be really cool to peer with the archive, especially as a backup repo of content in the event of Internet going down
      • robb: hell ya!
    • dedicating software working group this Thursday to further discussion - 5pm Thursday
    • clear LOS from tower to urban ore based on google earth estimates
    • discussed reconnecting w/ peef
  • request for internets at Village's new site - Edes & Elmhurst
    • juul: was going to write a proposal for Calyx subscription - $500/year, put it all in a box and secure it really well and have a mobile source of bandwidth w/ solar panel & battery!
      • widespread support for this idea
  • Lesley - will test hardware for Jason. Maybe schedule weekend after next? Also, maybe we should upgrade currently scheduled hardware - he will soon have a fiber gigabit connection, so maybe get new equipment with higher throughput? In whihc case, installation would be delayed
    • ben - e.g. a rocket for Benvenue. @lesley feel free to hit me up if you want to coordinate
      • lesley - sure! I was thinking this weekend or next. I need to confirm with Jason though.
      • ben - I'm out of town this weekend, but could work on gear next week and start hitting Benvenue folks up this week.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • seth-tshirts
    • woo!
* jenny - aaron swartz hackathon - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aaron-swartz-day-international-hackathon-evening-event-2018-tickets-49082111918

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • jenny - deadline for disaster.radio grant work is coming up on Friday - probably going to be hackin on it thurs night

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount: to be determined?


Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: Seth
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session: x

Action Items

  • Get in touch with MonkeyBrains about donated bandwidth (ben)
  • Working group to meet and plan out routing config for Archive mount on thursday 5-7
    • juul, benny, null, mai, jenny, eenblam, grant, lesley
    • send e-mail about richmond tower working group meeting (mai)
  • create text for byoi eventbrite (benny)
  • create poster for byoi event (benny)
  • combine "node mount" and "office hours" sections in notes template (benny)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/23_October_2018

End of Meeting