Jen-Mei Wu is a co-founder of LOL (Liberating Ourselves Locally), an Oakland makerspace run by and for people of color (POC) in East Oakland. Last week, LOL celebrated their 1-year anniversary of opening a space, and I got a chance to meet the other co-founders and chat about mesh and mapping. Jen-Mei and Cass, another organizer, were already familiar with 510pen - one of the first nodes was installed at the Bikery down the block - and eager to expand the network to LOL and surrounding neighborhoods.
Notes, to be written up
- LOL draws local, longtime activists and youth communities.
- Cass and Youth Revolution
- SOL high school interns and food justice education / mapping
- Workshops on Group Self-Defense and How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Interested in mapping resources for resilience
- Meetup / regrouping locations
- Solar backups for the mesh
- Water, food etc;