Portland mesh planning
This page is for Q&A related to extending Sudomesh (or similar) to Portland, Oregon.
Starting with really basic questions (June 2020):
- Can we (at least in the short term) claim some space on the Sudomesh wiki, rather than starting our own separate wiki?
- Yes! That's this page :)
- Can/should we use the peoplesopen infrastructure and/or name, or set up something more localized?
- Might as well for now. But, Sudo is in transition to a new crop of hardware, and hasn't settled on the new hardware yet. So to some degree we'll be on our own, or else waiting for them.
- How much will Portland's beautiful, huge, damp trees impede our efforts? Will they kill our WiFi dreams?
- How fully developed should we be before making a broad push to non-techies, e.g. via neighborhood associations, signs in coffee shops...
Mobile Citizen -- cheap unlimited Sprint bandwidth for nonprofits
Mikrotik (spelling?) makes 2-router point-to-point pairs that you can just point at each other with no configuration, and they "just work." They have 60 GHz and other frequencies too.