State of the Room
The "State of the Room" is a sudo-room-themed UNconference which offers a chance to:
- Learn more about sudo room
- Convene communities of practice or shared interest
- Craft ways to improve sudo room's Articles of Association
- Plan projects in/for/through/near/somewhat-related-to Sudo Room for the coming year!
- Share insights with and listen to your fellow sudoers
Let's plan the first, annual State of the Room:
should be a dynamic plan in our (now) perpetual meeting notes
The very first!
Notes From the First Annual State of the Room
- Session on the JOBS_Act
- Session on Kopimism
- Session on Facilitation
- Session on Community Mesh Networking
- Access Meeting once a month
- Mailing list report-backs
- Kopimism Church @ SudoRoom Sunday afternoons Kopimism
- Open Space Technology, World Cafe Model & Jigsaw Classroom [one representative of each group meets with the others to explain the group prior]
- Community wireless mesh project - 510pen and Sudo Wifi
- Access & facilitation groups - Page on Facilitation
- Microphone for Sudo Radio
- Confirm with the landlord
- More new people! Better promotion
- More organic schedule-setting and organization
- No drinking the night before :P
- Fri. Dec. 7th, 5-10PM: Sudo Room Housewarming
- Sat. Dec. 8th, 9-5: "State of the Room" Unconference
- Sun. Dec. 9th, ?-?: Move-In Day and Neglected Technology / Book Drive
General To-Do for entire weekend:
- draft up invitation that people can share.
- Create boilerplate Signup Sheet
- Create Sudo Introduction Script for volunteers to easily/effectively answer questions.
Fri. Dec. 7th - Housewarming
- 5-10pm Art Murmur
- 3D Printing
- Cheese Station
- Soldering / Circuit Hacking
- Party into the night!
Sat. Dec. 8th - Unconference
9-5: "State of the Room" unconference
- 9:00-9:45 Welcome & Intros
- 9:45-10:15 Session Brainstorming Activity
- 10:15-10:30 Finalize Agenda
- 10:45-11:45 Session 1
- 11:45-12:45 lunch
- 1-2 session 2
- 2-3 session 3
- 3-4 session 4
- 4-5 Report Back / Closing
- 6 Documentary screening: "One Couch at a Time"
- how many spaces will we use? potential to use all spaces.
- need: breakfast, coffee, potluck lunch?
- need: way for people to sign up for sessions
- need: physical surveys for people to fill out for posting on wiki profiles (also, less-intensive signup sheet just for names and emails for addition to the listserv).
- send list of topics to list, have people add topics and add their names next to topics. set a deadline!!! google doc spreadsheet with preferred time to present.
Possible topics: CLAIM A SESSION!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrUsz7z5DodGYwLVlXSmNwSktwRVFEYlNnUThGb3c#gid=0
- intro: state of the room address: past, present, and future of sudo room
- mission and vision of sudo room
- what does sudo room offer members/public?
- New membership / Onboarding - "How to be a Sudoer"
- Lessons in the Articles of Association
- Linux install help
- Update on the access/door issue
- 3D printing
- Automation: how automated can we make sudo room?
- Alternate currencies*** *** ***
- Velcro wall
- Surveillance tour of Oakland
- Projects / what we're working on - how to make this a group session? sticky wall, etc.? nametags? project matchmaking
- Poster sessions
- Help people create profiles on the wiki
- Sudo suite
- Open source micro tractors
- Oakland Wiki
- Fiscal solvency - how to make money
- How to increase membership
- Free class: programming: zero to making money**
- Communal hosting of open source software
- Soil remediation/phytoremediation citizen science project
- Local education projects
- Inclusiveness, diversity & access
- Craft of facilitation
- Ethics 101
- The power of names: online identity
- BACH (Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces [and other partnerships])
Sun. Dec. 9th - Move-In Day!
- Move-in Day!
- Neglected Technology Drive
- Book Drive
- Organizing stuffs
- Find people with trucks to do pickups!
- List of appropriate / inappropriate stuff (eg; refrigerators are inappropriate)