(Redirected from Sudo room/Initial Meeting)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Matt Senate
- Marc Juul
- Possible strategy: find user groups to call the space home, connect to orgs or groups who want to put on pre-fab'd workshops.
- Get a room, people will flock in.
- Principles (options: "Be excellent to each other" and "No new rules"), but also guidelines (e.g. safe space)
- Situate the group in terms of hacker culture and hacker ethic (history and education opportunity)
- Build "Systems" not rules or policies.
- There are sometimes trouble with personal items, but there are a lot of "service design" and automation opportunities through Labitat's projects to set up food purchasing, item/tool tracking with QRcodes and symbols, and member registration and access with magnetic stripped IDs.
- On that note, The Noun Project should make hacker-space icons, but they have a lot of stuff already: http://thenounproject.com/
- Need to read "Hacker Spaces Patterns" document, outlining how to set up a new hacker space, or at least how others have done it.
- Need to sort out the fiscal sponsorship asap, especially for bank account, property lease, and grant application purposes. (Open Science, Cooperative, and Collective "incubator" opportunities)
- Goal here is to set up hierarchy only for business purposes, but help make the hacker space more lateral.
- Create list of grants with deadlines on a simple calendar
- Also need an event calendar for momentum-building.
- Meet in 2 weeks on Wednesday November 30th at 7pm (location TBD), and hold a weekly meeting every subsequent week. Provide food.
- Get a space asap (do what's necessary to make that happen).
- Make commitment to public access by holding "public open" sessions in the evenings.