Omni Delegates meeting March 13, 2014 7pm
Check-in / Intros
In attendance: Yardena, David B, David K, Joel, Jeremy, Sarah, Niki, Phil
David K: Facilitator Joel: Timekeeper
Results of name poll
- in a pinch we wrote down "Oakland Commons Collective" during the planning meeting
- for the corporation, not necessarily the building
- the online poll results: Omni (9) Commons (7) Building Bloc (5)
- all delegates at the meeting are saying we like Building Bloc for the corporate name and the poll was for naming the building (?) and/or the results are invalid because that distinction wasn't clear (?)
- there is some confusion and ambiguity
- Niki moves that we just choose a name in formal capacity right now
- We unanimously vote to name the CORPORATION "Building Bloc"
- yar hates to be that person but asks "is there a 'the'"? the answer: NO
- DK recommends "Building Bloc Collective" as it is more legally unique
later on, we rejoin the debate over the building name
- Call it the omni?
- omnicollective.org is taken
- Omni Oak?
- DK proposes:
- call the building and the project The Omni
- register omnioakland.org
- Joel thinks group & building need the same name
- Phil agrees
- Sarah also agrees - difficult to have two different names
- DK proposes our legal name being Omni Oakland, revising our previous decision
- yar is reluctant but consents. it's unanimous.
- The Name = The Omni
- Legal Name of Collective of Collectives = Omni Oakland
- We will seek the URL : omnioakland.org
DK: we don't have to file bylaws until we file taxes
LLC vs nonprofit
- Sarah: do we incorporate as LLC / 501(c)3 / etc?
- DB: visionary differences?
- Niki: we should ask our lawyer
- DK: LLC has a lot more agency wrt money - where it comes from, what you do with it
- Phil: nonprofits can spend on anything actually. two corps (one for-profit and one not-for-profit) in tandem.
- DB: nonprofit == spiritual death
- yar: our job is to die spiritually so tenants don't have to
- Niki: LLC requires ownership
- Andrew: LLC does protect its members
- DK: Sudoers say board members aren't protected. nonprofit means less taxes. also helps our relationship with the city. pragmatic.
- Andrew: is this about 501c3 later on?
- Yar: That's one reason for incorporating as Cal State Non-Profit
- DK: yes, being a CSNP absolutely helps on many fronts
- non-franchise tax board
- this is just a property holding company
- Andrew: does this actually exempt us from the $800/year fee?
- DK: it exempts us from property taxes if the city or county (?) helps
- Sarah: Important to have a conversation about what it means politically to incorporate as a Non-Profit vs. LLC after talking to Lawyer
Potential New Terms of Move-In
DK: account of $$$ prenegotiations with landlord. off the record.
OMNI Event March 22
DK met with Omni owner to discuss possibility of hosting BAPS event on 03/22 @ Omni
- Planning Meeting: Monday, March 17, 7pm @ Black Spring Coffee (30th & Telegraph)
- We have the space from 4pm to 12midnight
- Silvia Federici, Peter Linebaugh & George Caffentzis : 7pm to 9pm
- BAPS events are "free of charge and free of solicitation"
- we should abide by BAPS rules since it's a BAPS event
- so it's not a fundraiser - open house?
- Saturday night around the corner from the Anarchist Book Fair
- TBC at planning meeting
- what are the goals and metrics for success?
- we should have tables
need to revise it to say the new name, Omni Oakland
- NEXT MEETING : Thursday, March 27, 7PM @ 2141 !
- ACTION ITEMS: send joel content for website
- Niki: Make The Omni Oakland Facebook Page
- Joel: Website!