Mesh/08 January 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 8 January 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal X: (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Setting up bounties for debugging (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What is your go-to new years resolution?
  • benny - he/him - used to be against new years resolutions
  • seth - he/they - im told by some people that i make too many assumptions, so i guess im going to never assume anything ever. i think it's pretty hard to communicate without making some kind of assumption
  • john-mark - he/html - i dont really do new years resolutions because i believe that as soon as you think of something you want to change, you should do it immediately instead of waiting for new years to come around
  • pam - she/zer - i dont really have new years resolutions either, but exercising more, and letting myself do more art -- i used to make more things -- prototype different kinetic mechanisms - wind-powered rain stick snake with diagonal grid structure!
  • mai - she/they - I try to remember to do more things that feel fulfilling - making art, camping, writing, working on things with other people is fulfilling - usually its like draw more or write more - but i want to make it more general and think about systems i can implement in my life that result in that happening
  • tyler - he/him - when it comes to resolutions, i dont really do it myself, but every now and then I like to reflect on what is normal to me -- lately i've been noticing that i haven't been getting back to people as quickly as i want to -- trying to work on that over the last couple of weeks -- just get back to people more
  • sierk - he/him - i dont do resolutions at all - resolutions that people dont keep always come up - im always reflecting - i wanna go hiking - but every time my friends bail out with the car, or it rains, but im still going to try to hike more
  • oliver - he/him - 1. I want to gain muscle weight! My brother is a body builder - younger than me, taller than me - I want to resolve that. 2. I want to learn to dance! (What style?) I tried some latin dances in college, but I'd like to learn some club dances.
    • mai - In the Groove is a really good studio downtown! Also La Peña Cultural Center
  • eenblam (ben) - he/they - for my new years resolutions I wanna do more math -- so far so good -- it's happened

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • apply to APC (jenny)
    • jenny still in kenya
  • follow up with all power labs - scott
  • upload marina photos - jenny
  • fix hurricane electric server - marc/robb - eve & yar (thurs) also available)
    • juul (pasted from rocket chat) - I didn't manage to make it down to Hurricane Electric before we left 😕 If someone else has time to go and troubleshoot then shoot me a message on Signal. Otherwise I will make the trip when we get back.
    • text marc (benny)
    • contact james for permission (jehan has contact)
  • take office hours off the calendar for next few weeks - jenny
  • buy more WD mynet routers - marc/jenny
    • Null - we currently have 7 (Tl-wdr4300 n750) in inventory and 1 is broken. [Never Mind i think these are different] then what i saw in inventory

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • hurricane electric server
  • MJ&T's connection is down, we need to figure out what's up

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • john-mark: i am pretty sure i can see the richmond tower from my roof, but I can't see the omni commons. however, I'm pretty sure my neighbor can see the omni commons. i haven't talked to him yet tho.
    • mai: can we do a site survey?
    • john-mark: yes! i have taken photos already. i can do the survey or im pretty free sundays. i also have a nanostation m2 at home. ill be out the rest of the week.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.

Discussion Item: Setting up bounties for debugging the network

  • We've been having various troubles with our network, oftentimes involving the exit nodes, but sometimes something else.
  • How do we ensure that things get fixed as quickly as possible, and we reward those who put the effort to do so?
  • How could a bounty system work?
  • Benny: We've figured out a proposal outline for requesting a budget for a project, but no one has made a proposal yet
    • recording what we spend money on as a way to get future grants
    • Mai: We should be careful not to have patterns of paying people that entrench them into positions where they keep getting the projects/payments -- it needs to be open and accessible to others to get these projects
    • Pam:
    • Sierke: A bounty program would have to prioritize backlogged/neglected issues, not pay people for stuff that gets done because people like doing it

<Discussion about how our project proposal process works follows>

    • Mai: This is about making the project more inclusive because it allows people to get involved, those who wouldn't have the wea;th/privilege to be able to attend and participate consistently without being paid to do certain things.
    • Pam: Is your mission about providing free internet to Oakland?
    • benny: we haven't figured it out concisely, but most people seem to agree that it's about community owned/operated internet, not necessarily free
    • sierke: free as in speech
    • john-mark: for me privacy is a really important part. as sierk was saying, free as in facebook is not the same as free as in speech. it means your data is the product and you are being observed. it means it doesn't serve marginalized communities as it should.
    • oliver: I just think cheap internet is good
    • tyler: i just want to accentuate the difference between free as in freedom and free as in beer. the electricity each node owner is using to power the nodes. its like a utility.
    • eenblam: as it stands, the network isnt really built in a way where we can moderate who joins. so it isn't likely for access to be a way that the organization makes money. our mission is also to document what we're doing and make a repeatable process that other people can use to build a mesh outside of oakland (is this right ben?)
    • sierke - the corporate drive to create infrastructure is always to monetize. We're building this so that service providers are optional. we build everything open source and document everything. peoplesopen.net is more of a model than a thing. a lot of people want service, but service is not exactly central to our goal. it's just one part.
    • mai - itll be easier if we identify 2-3 goals and then prioritize those, or we'll just have people doing things in their own corners. we're only sort of working collaboratively. i would like to see more follow through. not saying no to things, but prioritizing things.
    • ben - need to run but, one easy "solution" that doesnt require agreeing on a bounty program--just use the proposal process to implement bounties without going through the overheard of setting up a new "bounty program". can write a project proposal


Action Items

  • fix hurricane electric server - marc/robb - eve & yar (thurs) also available)
    • contact james for permission (jehan has contact) -
    • text marc (benny)
      • done
  • ping chuck and poke around MJ&T connection issue (mai)
  • e-mail Jonah about installing servers on the 19th/20th and how are those cables doing? (benny)
  • change/update language re: the meeting (mai)
  • meet up to talk through bounty/project proposals (benny, eenblam) (pam and sierk and mai are interested too)
  • Develop at least 3 and at most 5 projects to propose for pay at next meeting
    • include proposal for jenny admin
    • consider sourcing ideas from trellos
    • examples: go fix HE, fix Chuck/MJ+T, Paxio, Internet Archive, finances etc.
  • action item complainer (Friday morning) bot (eenblam)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • zine sewing (skipped)


Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting