Mesh/09 October 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 9 October 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What are you optimistic about?
  • Sethasauras - they - optimistic about your house staying around for a long time
  • Null - him/he - I'm optimistic about free internet
  • Benny - he/him - this publication i get monthly called Smudge. there's an interview w/ a 7-year old about politics First question/answer is, "What is politics?" -> "i dunno"
  • Moritz - visitting from Berlin - he/him - we can do really huge mesh networks! in the future
  • nanomonkey/Scott - he/him - oceanfront property
    • grant - does anyone know the average elevation of Oakland? It's 42.
  • Lesley - no preferred pronouns - ive been convincing myself and am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming elections. if young people turn out to vote there might be some big changes--backlash!
  • Grant - he/they/whatever - I am optimistic about the end of the world. I'm kind of excited about the post-apocalypse.
    • jenny - riffing off that, end of world will help popularize solar punk! We have 12 year catastrophe deadlline... maybe a subculture movement that captures the youth--captain planet meets cyberpunk.
  • Jenny - she/her - am otherwise not very optimistic
  • remote-mai - she/they - optimistic that I will pass this damn networking midterm test >_< . Also that some form of biological/genetic intelligence will prevail, even if humans don't end up surviving past climate change + its effects
    • grant - the rats will inherit the earth
    • remote-mai: maybe the rats can learn a thing or two about how *not* to build civilizations
    • Also! I may be able to meet up with the Community Networks group meeting at the IGF next month if I go there for a gig. Would be sad to miss BYOI and the Libre Router hackathon tho.

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

Updates & Reportbacks

  • remote-juul asks: Is there an email thread with Paxio folk that I'm not on? I haven't emailed them yet. I couldn't find the thread when searching yesterday but also my internet connection was crap so I might have missed it. Can someone forward it to me then I will email today.
    • remote-mai: I have a thread with them — in which they stopped responding a few months ago when I followed up. I'll forward you that email (which includes Tim Pozar) and you can cc me on the new thread we start with them re: our LOS to them
  • remote-juul asks: Are we sure the AirFiber we mounted on our building is the international version? It probably should be.
  • benny: I don't think we are sure. I'll try to confirm. I hope it says somewhere in the UI?
  • juul: If the country is restricted to u.s. only then thats not the int version
  • benny: okay--there should be a country selection dropdown or something?
  • lesley: yep, it's locked onto US or ...I think the gui is a little different? I'm trying to look right now, assuming I'm connected to the correct ip. Nevermind, Grant just reminded me I can't connect with my machine without a cable. I guess the only way to connect is to climb up on the roof and plug in.
  • grant: we can get into to from the cage, IP/pw info should be in trello, will debug later (I remember being a dropdown for country)
  • lesley: Nope, it's the US version :/


Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

Just found this https://imgur.com/B0jzM9h ???!

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • grant - reed brothers node is now working! also setup the omni antenna atop the reed bros roof. 52 down, 15 up from omni connection. do we want to limit it?
    • jenny - might be good to discuss in sudoroom
    • scott - can you give priority to the private network traffic?
    • grant - effective way to handle that would be for someone to get a better home router that can prioritize their traffic (as opposed to it being a peoples open network issue). we can't prioritize someones home internet traffic.
    • scott - i thought that was the point of the private SSID, so we can prioritize that over the public SSID
  • grant: can't ping extender port from just anywhere - but if you plug it into public port - in this case, port 2, that gives you an ip address and then you can ping the extender node and get into its interface.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • benny - working with jorrit on tcp/ip/udp postcards
    • jenny - yar did a cool workshop in sudoroom like that
  • jenny - if you used the non profit dev summit code let me know!
  • jenny - nico from librerouter is being sponsored to come to the non profit dev summit and wants to work on libre router stuff on the 17th!
  • jenny - internet governance summit in paris! mai may already be there. some funding available if we want to send someone.
  • jenny - someone from the netherlands pinged the rocketchat today about starting a peoples open network in florida!
  • null - i met someone who has good contacts who seemed interested in peoples open! he might spread the word
  • seth sent out newsletter! woo! jenny + grant showed him how to use mailchimp
    • jenny - highest click rate of any newsletter yet! (except 1)

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • jenny - just ordered the omnis mentioned earlier this meeting.
  • jenny- sierk submitted request for another digital ocean droplet to separate dev and prod envs
  • jenny - we have a home depot gift card
  • jenny - we really need an insurance policy -- to do that we need to update our business plan to show that we have the money to pay for an insurance policy
    • moritz - you need an insurance policy? we don't need one at freifunk.
      • moritz: people just connect, we receive info that this or that device is linked to some other device, and then we map it but we assume no liability for those connections.
        • used to be much more complicated - self-assigned IP addresses, wiki account, etc; - now is much more simple that's how a lot of places got connected - even 2000 nodes in an area or an entirely interconnected downtown - they just popped up - no liability, but it works! public internet in the middle of town. lots of people involved in municipal governance

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount: maybe sailing club? may

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: maybe seth, maybe grant (probably)
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

Action Items

  • come up with list of psychz node ips (grant + benny)
  • follow up about psychz billing (jenny)
  • e-mail Jonah about tower rehab status (jenny, cc lesley, grant & benny)
  • print node port stickers (jnny)
  • e-mail yar about tcp activities (benny)
  • connect berkeley marina - tony (smurfir@gmail.com) - jenny -> null / grant /

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting