Mesh/16 October 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 16 October 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Join the Association for Progressive Communications (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Sponsorship Donation for Aspiration Tech (5 mins)
  • Discussion: Project Proposal Process (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question:If you could be in any movie, what would you pick?
  • Scott - he/him - Tampopo
  • seth-What We Do in the Shadows (vampire flick)
  • Mai - she/they - Spirited Away
  • Robb - he/they - R2D2 Star Wars
  • Marc Juul - he/him - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (God)
  • jnny - she/her - Firefly (aim to misbehave, cowboy space pirate)
  • eve - Badger in Wind in the Willows


Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • come up with list of psychz node ips (grant + benny)
  • follow up about psychz billing (jenny)
    • followed up - the interface is borked to add a new card and the customer support has been lackluster. re-pinged today.
    • payment processed 10/17! on the sudomesh card
  • e-mail Jonah about tower rehab status (jenny, cc lesley, grant & benny)
    • done 10/17
  • print node port stickers (jnny)
    • still to-do
  • e-mail yar about tcp activities (benny)
    • Still todo
  • connect berkeley marina - tony (smurfir@gmail.com) - jenny -> null / grant /
    • sent today, cc'd null, grant and bsierk - requesting to meet up this Sunday (jenny can't make that time tho)
    • via Tony 10/16: Great to hear from you! Sunday at 2pm sounds good. You could ask for me when you get there. There should be a few people sitting on the porch facing the water.
    • Mai, Scott,
    • have a flag mast up there too!

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Benny: Lesley, Grant, and I met for software wg last Thurs. Grant + I worked on disaster radio simulator things, and Lesley worked on email automation things. We shared what we were working on with each other. Working in the Disco room was fun.
  • Jenny: DisasterRadio ISOC reportback is due Nov 2nd - hustlin' - most progress documented here: https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio-simulator
  • Marc in Shenzen - when roaming from data plan in US, you're already VPN's
    • hurricane electric IP was totally blocked in shenzen, but psychz wasn't
    • Sett up a raspi with sudowrt and it worked via psychz

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • Juul set up a mesh node in Shenzen to help circumvent the firewall! Worked for awhile until someone dropped a coin on the raspi node and it blew up in a puff of smoke
  • Jason is back in town. Lesley emailed him to set up a time to test an N600 + nanostation m5 setup (I was thinking I would just do this by myself, but maybe one person might also want to come?). We'll make sure that that works, then set up a time (possibly early November?) to get his landlord to give him roof access. Grant said the nanostation has ~150 Mbps throughput on a good day, and Jason is talking to Sonic about getting a 1 gig fiber connection to his building in the near future, in which case we might want to reevaluate which hardware we want to put on the roof, especially as access would be very limited due to needing to contact his landlord each time. Also, we may want to order quite a few more omnidirectional antennas because Grant said we only ordered two.
  • grant (aysnc) - if Jason does get a gig from Sonic, I'd recommend making a Wireless Wire Dish connection between Jason's and Jeff's apartments, these can get gigbit throughput at ranges up to ~1000m (I've personally seen them work at around 500m) and then look into putting one or two lite beam AC sector antennas for Jeff's roof to redistribute that gig. Maybe put lite beam(s) or just normal omni on Jason's building also, depends on sight lines.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Got an email from Rudy @ Monkeybrains. They have several 1Gbps POPs throughout town. I think it's best to **not** publish the map Rudy sent. They don't need us telling the world where their infrastructure is.

j** eenblam - replied to Rudy this afternoon, asking about his downtown location

  • Handshake press release completed and sent to ~20 news outlets
    • No one has bit yet
    • We should post to our blog
  • BYOI
    • Post to East Bay Express [Arts Calendar online submission, at least 2 weeks in advance]
      • Blurb
    • Flyers
    • Post on Omni Calendar

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:
    • Berkeley Marina node site survey: Mai,

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: ??
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session: Had an interested human from UC Berkeley area
  • Updated workshops page on the website
  • flashed the rest of the rocket M5s back to AirOS v5.5.11 +1 !!!

Proposal: Join the Association for Progressive Communications (5 mins)

via Jenny on 10/10:

  • Nico Pace mentioned the org on the CNSIG mailing list as a viable source of funding for travel to relevant conferences: https://www.apc.org/en/members/join/membership-faq
  • Cost is $300/year - member org travel stipends average $2000, research grants up to $5K, and project grants up to $20K
  • Consenso?
    • Jenny: You have the privilege to vote on proposals that come through the APC which are generally related to human-rights related neutrality, signing off on letters. They occasionally ask for updates and all we'd have to do for that is send them a link to our newsletters/blog. I'd like to see some follow-up from Null.
    • Blocked at current by Null, who has one week to bring this up in discussion
    • Learn more about APC here: https://www.apc.org/en/join-apc
    • APC also spearheaded this awesome initiative - Feminist Principles of the Internet: https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/feminist-principles-internet-version-20

Proposal: Sponsorship Donation for Aspiration Tech (5 mins)

  • Consenso seems to be either $500 or $650
  • Mai may not be going
  • Consenso for $500? Consenso of 9 sudomeshers


Discussion: Project Proposal Process

  • Loomio discussion: https://www.loomio.org/d/t96DoNbJ/what-should-a-project-proposal-look-like-
  • Proposed proposal process
    • Collaborators - Names/Orgs/Qualifications
    • Project Scope - What problem is this solving, and what is the tangible solution being implemented?
    • Goals, Objectives and Risks - Describe the actual work to be done and the goals that will be worked toward, as well as any foreseeable risks or potential blockers on progress.
    • Project Timeline - Start date, key milestones, end date
    • Project Budget - Line item budget should include material and labor costs as well as any additional sources of income/funding. Require invoicing and timekeeping for hours worked. Use a template.
    • Project Outcomes / Reporting Requirements - What are the deliverables due at project end date? Requiring at the least a follow-up report linking to public documentation of work done.
      • What would that look like? Maybe one or 2 others are responsible for following up

For any funding toward individual labor time, any amount paid out in excess of $600/yr to a given individual will need to be accounted for as a contractor on our books, with 1099s issues by Jan. 31st of the following year.

  • Mai: Maybe one tool for accountability is to split the payout in half - the second half contingent on deliverable of report at the end of the project
    • Jehan: Seems like a lot to require a reportback midterm or whatever for people you know and trust
    • Eve: Think it's totally reasonable and standard to require some reporting
    • Mai: Or just have folks update at the weekly meetings, or maybe biweekly.
    • Seth: What happens if you go over your budget?
      • Eve: They don't get any more. No cost extension.
      • Mai: They have to propose it again and get consensus approval.

Action Items

  • Reach out to insurance broker recommended by Jesse - Jenny
  • e-mail yar about tcp activities (benny)
  • Post the Handshake PR to our blog
  • Set up event postings for next BYOI -
    • Omni Calendar - Jenny
    • Eventbrite - Mai
    • East Bay Express - Eve

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • Cement next BYOI agenda - Jenny / Mai / Eve / Robb


Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting