Mesh/19 February 2019

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 19 February 2019 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: what job do you fantasize about doing in another lifetime (even though you have absolutely no idea what it would actually be like)?
  • Benny - he/him - having a sandwich shop that was the neighborhood sandwich shop
  • Martin - he/him - when I was a kid I wanted to be a neurosurgeon
  • Tyler - he/him - used to play trombone, got involved in jazz band, but can't even blow a conch shell in current space
  • Seth - he/they - would be cool to wear squirrel flying suit, deliver stuff
  • Steven - he/they - sort of wanted to do theoretical physics, computer science, and then school was less fun, so took a more practical approach
  • Jehan - he/him - would be cool to be mathematician
  • Null - he/him - fly jets, penguinologist
  • Ned - he/him - would be cool to be lighthouse keeper
  • Lesley - pronoun agnostic - was always encouraged away from math, but now there's lots about math that fascinates me, wonder what it wouldve been like if i started to do it as an undergrad
  • Mai - she/her/they - professional athlete
  • Marc - he/him - marine biologist
  • Aidan - he/them - peacock sitting

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • talk to seth / investigate tower on 40th @KM6IHB
    • seth and i briefly talked--probably more focused on trying to put something on the tower rather than try to take the tower down
    • mai: talked to nick weidinger (sp) and he was interested in being involved in some way with this tower. dont remember if its about taking it apart
    • seth: how about i call and figure out how much it would actually cost to take it down, then we can go to him with the quote
  • figure out how much BYOI at west oakland public library would cost @iamai
    • mai: will ask colleagues regarding the price
  • e-mail seth and eve about ORCA presentation @bennlich
    • Did it. Seth and Eve are game. Eve is an ORCA member lol. Next step, get details about presentation and meet w/ Tyler, Seth, and to plan.
  • jehan new action item: 17 days ago we got a quote back from insurance. they will not cover roof installation stuff. they will cover general liability which covers events like BYOI or our meetings. jenny seems on board and knows what shes doing.
  • figure out how to receive HNS from handshake @juul
    • not yet
  • follow up with insurance @tunabananas
  • reply to leez re: mesh in oaxaca @iamai
    • mai: spoke to leez right after this meeting. Ben gave her a bunch of equipment and she will report back what the needs are there
  • report back from people's park meeting @lesley
    • aden: presented the meeting and everyone was on board with the 3 proposed way forward - Amoeba, solar panel, etc.
    • aden: let's go with the backpack plan
    • juul: cool, ill work on that
    • contact info changed


Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Juul + null worked on the HE server over the weekend
  • juul: couldnt find cooling paste -- does anyone have cooling paste
  • Juul - Null reported heat alarm going off, it was boiling water temperature, which is not good for something that age. So either we find a way to cool it or get a new one.
  • juul passes around licorice
    • lesley: tastes a bit like motor oil

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • benny: Should we look through the node mounts trello and get in touch with folks?
    • mai: yeah good idea!
  • mai: I did not follow up with chuck, but that node is still down and we should fix it

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Santa Cruz meshnet
    • Carolyn is interested in helping with setting up a meshnet down there. "We're really struggling with network slowdowns, spotty signal, possible censorship and data collection on our networks, and all around slow connection and I think we would benefit from joining the meshnet. I am the president of the cyber security club at UC Santa Cruz and I'm sure they'd also be interested in collaborating."
      • Benny: I can reply to that if nobody else has yet. Should put in touch with other Santa Cruz mesh folks?
      • mai: oh yeah!! Great idea.

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • benny: We had done some meetings to talk about proposals for things that we'd like to spend money on. I will take that up again since the internet archive mount is done

Weekly updates/check-ins

  • Internet Archive link
  • Paxio link
  • Golden gate link
  • Chuck/MJT link
  • Hurricane Electric

Discussion: What's next for the Internet Archive link?

  • Mai: What do we need to do complete the link?
    • Options:
      • Marina tower
      • tower on 40th St
      • tower on Omni
      • UC Berkeley Belltower
      • Bayside Commons COA -- off of 580 in Albany
    • Tyler: I've been in touch with someone who has access to a HAM radio node on the Berkeley bell tower
    • Lesley: can clearly see the belltower from the richmond tower, so that would be a good link
    • tyler: Is Alameda populated by many PON folks?
    • Lesley: A group came once, but no, not really
  • Juul: also the golden gate uplink

Discussion: Inventory for Mesh Cage

  • Asset Tiger is too expensive now that we have too many items to inventory
  • null: Can't find a replacement that does what we want
  • jehan: AirTable is worth checking out. A good configurable spreadsheet for this kind of thing

Next Sunday

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-3pm in Sudo Room, and often arrange a rooftop node mount.

Action Items

  • write script for updating home nodes to use exitnode domain names @bennlich
  • follow up with ideas generated in idea brainstorms @bennlich
  • research tower destruction costs @sethcarolina
  • figure out how much BYOI at west oakland public library would cost @iamai
  • order cooling paste @juul
  • people's park wifi backpack @juul
  • poke paxio @juul


Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • inventory software
  • replace switch fan

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting