Mesh/1 May 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 1 May 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: BYOI BBQ/Potluck (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Principles & Values (15 mins)
  • Proposal: Annual Board Meeting - Tuesday, May 22nd @ 7pm
  • Proposal: Purchasing Request Process (10 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What did you do for May Day?
  • Lesley - she/they - cleaned my kitchen. There are now solar panels in the cage! Max has gotten the panels talking to the board, but there's more work to do.
  • Jenny - she/her - had Omni's annual fire inspection. Passed!
  • Robb - he/him - also fire inspection.
  • Jorrit - he/him - biked over here. Enjoyed the sunshine. Nodes have been getting patched; still hacking on monitoring.
  • Sierke - I was gonna help serve coffee after mayday. Ended up going on a hike, spent a long time trying to drive back.
  • Scott - he/him - did some gardening. started some sourdough, coding
  • Marc - he/him - work.
  • Ben - he or they - went to OGP for rally, came here for finance mtg
  • Mai - she or they - went to OGP also, saw Bill, finance mtg - went well. last week, went to spy on Gotenna.. J (works on crypto stuff), told Mai about dinner re: launching "In The Mesh' magazine, made ppl uncomfortable, intro'd sudomesh. founder stated "the goal of this project is that power be less centralized".- jehan was there too, j had given althea highest review.
    • juul: should set up patent alerts for their company

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Grant: Make moves on plan for PON e-commerce revenue stream (e.g. shirts, hats, stickers)
  • grant: setup nightly builds of zeroconf firrmware (debug travis further) and tighen up openwrt build process
  • ben: Jorrit and I are also discussing CI for monitoring tools. I think zeroconf is higher priority, though
    • happening: githubcom/sudomesh/monitor
  • grant: follow-up with Paxio to confirm 24Ghz antenna situation, suggest LOS from Omni (how do we align with their equipment?)
    • mai: confirmed we need a pair of 24GHz airfibers
      • juul: 60GHz cheaper, 1 mile max
    • mai: they're willing to come to Omni to help us work out LoS
  • mai: schedule meeting for Account/Finances Working Group
  • jenny: buy some shit ^_^
    • ben bought box cutters and zip ties. jenny had already bought outdoor cable, standard rj45s and 2 sets of EZ crimpers. harness & rope in office or mesh area (compliance in a can) but can buy more. waiting on confirm from paxio re: 24ghz airfiber. jenny to perma-lend non-metric socket wrench set. omni a/v has walkie talkies we can borrow if we need, til we get out own set. so that leaves binoculars and metal snips (what are those?)
  • jenny: follow up with devi / lolspace
    • devi replied yesterday - two folks (Leo & Eri) will get back to us about sunday availability ^_^
  • jenny & ben: more work into vehicle procurement
    • not really
    • juul: once we get specs, should pass it around to the local community to see if we can get a donation

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • jorrit: we were just patching things today. 16 home nodes to patch. Idea is to move them over to the new exit node. Thought is to upgrade that server to the new tunnel digger. We should have at least one back up. Slow but steady. Work arounds for babeld crashes — root causes not fixed.
  • juul: We can update patching scripts to failover to previous state if certain actions aren't taken to confirm the patch worked.

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • lolspace: date TBD
  • Ed's: Grant looked at it but it's very steep. It's three stories — and it's not straightforward. Grant says it's doable. Someone needs to volunteer to do it safely. Lesley, Max, Robb and Grant willing to do so
    • Ben:
    • Sierk has a key, can mount anytime
    • It's an important mounting location in East Lake, LOS to Laney. Good relay point from east lake to the hills.
  • A wild jake appears: We need new extender nodes @ Hearth & TigerMonkey. Sunday? "I'm available every day"
  • Jorrit: Did some outreach in my building, the N600s go down the halls and somewhat less good between multiple floors (need to be vertically aligned). Explaining it as a router with a VPN that extends your signal, and that seems to resonate
  • Jenny: Got a laptop request from an organizer with Native Health Center, which is a few blocks northeast of the LOLspace/Village. Will hook them up with a laptop and breach the convo re: PON

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount: Fix link from Hearth to LiveLabs!
    • Volunteers: jenny, ben, mai
    • Jenny will ping Nick about also doing TMI

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: Ben
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:
    • jorrit: We talked about ways to monitor the network and hacked on it.

Proposal: BYOI BBQ/Potluck

  • Organize a BYOI BBQ/Potluck for May?
  • Consenso? Yes!

Proposal: Principles & Values

Proposal: Purchasing Request Process

  • From the Accounting WG Meeting
    • Purchase order accounts (possibly with cap)
    • Account Working Group: those with debit cards (chosen in some way) also need to approve purchases
    • Google form (such as /budget-requests) that goes into Trello (then forwarded to Rocket.Chat) then the Accounting Working Group approves that
    • Petty cash lockbox
  • Jorrit - sounds like we need to update the bylaws to account for having a committee
    • Did our changes from last year's meeting make it into the bylaws?
    • Jenny - yes, before we submitted the 501c3 application in August.: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g1aK1S301NBtbGVIQn-zY-fLPWw8pyHNHvaBTVbzEds/edit#
    • Jenny - (references existing bylaws) tl;dr: the board can create committees: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g1aK1S301NBtbGVIQn-zY-fLPWw8pyHNHvaBTVbzEds/edit#heading=h.wrw88ajw3asv
      • Brings up next thing: we're due for another board meeting. See proposal below.
        • Mai - something we mentioned at the accounting working group: having an advisory board. Basically, having more public-facing associations that don't actually gain any oversight.
          • lesley: i think we want to be ensure that we maitain our flat structure and keep everything open as we talk about the board
            • ben: the advisory board would mostly be a way to get more people with public exposure and/or useful advice involved without giving them power by placing them in the board of directors.
  • sierke - (clarifies meaning of advisory board)
    • Also, I want to revisit what Lesley brought up. We don't have a formal membership, and I still see the board as similar to how Omni/Sudoroom/Noisebridge operate on a informal basis. We want the board to take the community that runs the mesh into consideration. It would be to formalize that in some sort of way to require the board to do so when making decisions.
      • Mai - to me, it's not entirely clear to me how involved one has to be to have a say in things (voting, blocking in consensus, etc.)
        • Also, I feel concerned about the recent online anonymous vote.
          • Jorrit - I feel like that was born out of something I suggested in a different context - having a meeting in person with known parties, only to determine if consensus exists.

Proposal: Annual Board Meeting - Tuesday, May 22nd @ 7pm

  • Requisite annual board meeting for Sudo Mesh - attendance may be remote
  • Self-nominate for director & officer positions (current officers are: Secretary - Will, Treasurer - Jenny, President - Lesley; directors are the aforementioned + Marc, Jake, Jorrit, Grant, Andrew, Jehan)
  • Review annual budget (newly-formed Accounting WG to present)

Action Items

  • Set up patent alerts (juul)
  • Schedule meeting with Paxio to check out LOS to their building (mai)
  • Schedule meeting around safety, access strategies, etc. (Ben)
  • Talk to Traci re: D&O Insurance (jenny)
  • Follow up with Grant and Sierk (Ed) re: mounting a node on their roof. Getting proper rope/safety equipment (Lesley, Ben)
  • Organize Tues 8 May meeting agenda for a discussion on shared principles and values (mai)
  • Draft board resolution re: finance committee (jenny)
  • send announce re: board mtg (jenny)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting