Mesh/28 August 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 28 August 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Travel and Conference Reimbursement Process (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Budgeting Handshake Award (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: Why are you here, in 10 words or less?
  • mai - she/they - i'm here because community internet is good
  • scott - he/him - i'm here because i had a dream about cheese balls
  • null - him/her - I'm here because of net neutrality, and I need internet, and I want to help share it
  • marc - he/him - I'm here because I like playing around with mesh stuff.
  • ben - he/they - I'm here because I like building things with people for people
  • mickey - he/him - i'm here because im a journalist for Oakland North interested in what y'all are doing
  • azia - she/her - i'm here also because of net neutrality, and i was looking up how to make my own wifi server a few weeks ago and then i found this
  • steven - they/them - I want to know how community internet works
  • benny - he/him - I'm here because I like collaborating with people on projects that seem important. Yeah, that's good enough.
  • jenny - she/her - I'm here because I want to decentralize and distribute all the things
    • Marc, Grant, and I applied for an Internet Society Chapterthon to develop a mesh routing protocol for disaster radio!
    • We got $2000! Proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H_tIXOvx0gvL11luWdQGoImMtbL1EXpyVeGEu6ycTvM/edit#heading=h.1itz61kxwmd3
    • grant - will probably oragnize resources into a repo or shared folder of some sort, also wanted to stress the grant isn't strictly for disaster.radio but a mesh routing protocol for low bandwidth devices,
      • so it will hopefully allow communication with other devices like grey cat or project latern...etc.
  • eve - she/her - I'm here because Jenny let me in.
  • lesley - she/they/he once knocked a hole in my closet ceiling so I could try to get internet to my room when I was in highschool.

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Research weighted base options
    • nobody knows
    • grant - lesley and I discussed this after Reed bros visit, should take one visit to home depot for conduit, treated plywood, and sandbags maybe? we already have a tripod that looks usuable
  • Setting a time for the next BYOI event (all, at the next meeting)
    • moved to communications
  • Handshake PR re: $
    • punted until we actually get the $

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • Ben was going to meet with Jeff (near People's Park) but they couldn't get a hold of John, from whom they would be getting bandwidth. Will likely go there on Sat and install some nodes
    • Jeff and John are good for 12 on Saturday. Contact eenblam in rocket.chat.
  • jenny: Talk to Needa at the Village. Not the time to install any hardware there at the moment for various reasons, including the fact that they will be moving the Village in November as the city retrofits infrastructure there
  • jenny: Dmitri of Food Not Bomb mentioned building with potential line of sight to Richmond at Berkeley Marina.
  • marc: I ordered the two airfibers. We should test the connection inside, make sure it works. Then put one on our roof, then tell paxio, we're ready to go.
  • mai: I haven't heard from paxio in a while (3 months)
  • marc: I think we should tell them once we're set up and ready to go. we might discover that we need more mounting equipment, etc.
  • marc: looking around, I haven't found any equipment that can shoot more than a gigabit more than a mile
  • ben: something about a noisebridge laser
  • marc: are they using it?
  • ben: no
  • marc: yes ask them!

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Setting a time for the next BYOI event
  • mai - november 18? the sunday after the non-profit software dev summit?
  • marc - that event is super awesome and super intense, very tiring. maybe we should do something super relaxed? like a bbq?
  • consenus reached on tentative date! sunday, november 18!

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureau

  • Accounting WG ordered a ladder — a 16ft telescoping one! Purchased USB/ethernet adapters!
  • jenny - turns out omni found its ladder! so if we want a bigger ladder we can buy our own.
  • New rules for how to spend money:
    • Less than $500 if you're in the finance working group without approval
    • $500 to $2k need to get approval of finance working group
    • Over $2k get five board member's approval
  • Updated https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Accounting
  • Created proposal. See below! :)
  • jenny: hosting a Quickbooks workshop sometime in the next two weeks. Fill out Doodle if interested in attending: https://doodle.com/poll/qseqkpe2tqafdbqi

Disaster Radio Update

  • marc: I have a spreadsheet of money coming in / going out. so far we got a promise of 5k from the future of linux, 2.5k from the nodes we handed out?, new 2k from ISOC, ordered some coaxial cable things and antennas, going to be doing some antenna design. if anyone's interested in antenna design, speak now! might happen monday evenings at 7pm. also after ths meeting. also sign up for the disaster radio mailing list.
  • eenblam, benny, and steven are interested

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:
    • ben - Jeff + John's building in Berkeley on Saturday
    • lesley - could be a good time to also do jason's if that's not too much. if he can get access from landlord.
    • ben - nice, let's mark as tentative.
    • jenny - could also scout marina w/ dmitri that day.

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: eenblam
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:
    • It was chill. Two people showed up and asked questions.

Proposal: Travel and Conference Reimbursement

    • For expenses spent on attending conferences to represent Sudo Mesh, they must request beforehand to get approval
    • Anyone who wants to be reimbursed for their discounted DWeb summit reg fees is approved
    • Anyone who traveled to represent Sudo Mesh at conferences during Summer 2018 can request a stipend/reimbursement of up to $200 for domestic trips and $500 for international trips while still subject to approval from Accounting WG and submission of receipts
  • CONSENSO achieved

Discussion: Consensus and Quorum

Proposal: Minimum quorum to make a decision - 5 consensus members?

  • marc - related tangent -- we haven't decided how many makes a quorum
  • ben - how do we want to decide who is or isn't part of the decisionmaking and what kinds of priorities we want to make about what we're spending money on?
  • marc - are you talking about having our values written down?
  • ben - just making explicit why we even need a "consensus list" (ben - I'm not at all opposed; this was a response to the question of "What do we call this group of people?" instead of "meshers")
  • lesley: similar to the accounting wg's proposal for tiers of expenditures - tiers of decisions that differently-involved volunteers can be counted in consenso toward
  • minimum quorum is more agile than eg having a 1-week period before consenso
  • lesley - don't want dystopian scenario in which clique could take over and push through changes without everyone else knowing it was happening.
  • marc - very few things we can't undo
    • e.g. can have rules like "Don't make decisions that aren't easy to undo (e.g. within a week) with immediate quorum; in that case leave a week for quorum. Otherwise, just do it immediately if you have quorum."
  • marc - proposing that we make the decision, make it final, but can be reverted in future weeks
  • mai - for things that can't be undone--like say we have to buy a big thing
    • marc - we have the established rules for purchasing
  • marc - we could specifically say that things that are not revertible in a week have to wait a week before being decided
  • mai - narrative of how an idea would play out in light of handshake grant
    • example:
    • benny has some idea--he adds proposal to tuesday meeting, it's discussed during a Tues meeting, and it passes with a consensus vote with min quorum
    • benny puts that on loomio, sends email to the consensus list.
    • folks have 1 week to comment / discuss and consensus members can potentially block -> at which point proposal goes back to weekly meeting for discussion
    • proposal goes through as long as nobody hard blocks
      • marc: make a list next weeks of things that can't be easily undone
  • mickey - comment on press release thing -- ive been in a situation where students were going to be punished that week, and the student government spent a lot of time deliberating whether or not the could say anything, and ultimately decided that they couldnt, because they had agreed not to make fast decisions
  • mai - recent example--there were some fascists at the HOPE conference, the organizers didn't respond appropriately, and we quickly-ish made a decision
  • juul: may be set a different quorum number or &age for bypassing the weeklong process
  • mai - propose to punt figuring out emergency situations for next week

Discussion: Budgeting Handshake Award

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • Antenna design breakout group with marc
  • Introduction chat with new guests

Action Items

  • review grant's e-mail draft to other community spaces re: a tall building in richmond (mai)
  • follow up with jonah of the Archive (jenny)
  • ask noisebridge / Friendly Local ISP about their laser (eenblam)
    • eenblam - Message dispatched!
  • calendar item to test the AirFibers on Sep 9 (all)
  • check in on Handshake $ (jenny)
  • summarize consensus-making process from this meeting (benny)
  • put 1) grant spending 2) Handshake award on loomio (jenny)

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

End of Meeting