Mesh/5 June 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 5 June 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal: Cryptoparty collaboration (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Accounting WG (15 mins)
  • Discussion: Questions for lawyer (15 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: What's your favorite organism?
  • Marc/juul - he/him - yeast - time of year when MOOCs start
  • Leslie - she/they - l reuteri and l ramnosus? human gut organisms, especially those. and cats--how focused and good at hunting they are, even though they have only 1 neuron for each 1000 of ours
  • Sierk - was going to say bear, but sequoia, so big and old
  • Mai - she/they - hard to choose, but oak trees, very beautiful, live wherever my family has been from. visit to b4bel4b gallery was really fun. want to do more outings like that if anyone feels inspired.
    • sierk - I wanted to go but was not feeling well! I'd be down to go with someone else
  • Benny - he/they - night herons they yell a lot around the lake and how they stand looks very alien. Started interviewing people about PON for the blog.
  • Eve - she - right now it's a toss up between terriers and badgers -- it's always been badgers, but recently there's a terrier that's very sweet and lies in the sun, regardless of nearby cars. i've always admired badgers for their stubborness and defense posture.
  • Karina - she/her - PhD student at queens university in canada -- doing research for dissertation about tech advocacy in bay area. would love to chat with anyone willing. i watch deep sea documentaries to relax. any deep sea fish with massive teeth and lamps are outrageous.
    • Marc - announcement now is the time to sign up for coursera courses if you're interested in learning some things related to meshing
      • sierk - should never pay more than $10 for udemy classes -- people in sudo have coupons
  • Robb -
  • Jenny - algae, future of energy


Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s: Mai
  • Stacktaker: not needed (too few folks)
  • Timekeeper: Mai
  • Notetaker/s: Benny, Marc

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • ping jorritt (ben), grant (mai), daniel (robb), benny (jenny), bengo (ben)
    • ben - Pinged Jorrit and Bengo, who were unavailable. Kinda moot, event postponed.
  • coordinate agenda for saturday [all involved]
  • coordinate reed brothers [lesley, robb, blake]
    • leslie: talked to seth on thursday, said something about not necessarily flashing extender nodes
    • marc: was just bringing up that it's more important to install all the physical gear than it is to configure everything too. sometimes trying to install + flash can lead to frustration.
    • benny: is this about fancy extender nodes in particular?
    • marc: this is about nodes that are not trivial to flash. easiest thing is to use the built-in firmware. want to get us to a point where we just install equipment and get home nodes meshing w/o worrying about extender node firmware.
  • talk to storquest re: renting roof space
    • jehan, ben, and mai met w/ regional manager for various properties including storquest -- he seemed open to the idea
    • jenny: for free?
    • mai: no, but he was enthused enough that he emailed me on saturday and asked for some specs. if we want them to waive the rental, or make it really cheap, we can make an arrangement where we list them as a community partner. want to discuss that today with the group -- would it be okay to list them as a community partner to make this cheaper? although they have cell towers the size of this table that they rent for 1-2k/mo, and our install is like 1/100th the size, so should be really cheap. meeting went well overall. also, paxio is excited about us having equipment there.
  • coordinate jason's [lesley, seth]
    • leslie: postponed for aforementioned reasons. His property is close to Jeff's and Leslie's (near People's Park)
  • coordinate pief [jenny, ben, marc]
    • ben - Postponed. Til...?
  • finalize finance wg proposal [accounting wg]
    • mai: in discussion for today
  • set up meeting with jesse & collate questions [jenny]
    • Plz add questions here: https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/legalquestions
    • From the Doodle, looks like next Tues afternoon would be best (June 12th)
    • jenny: we're gonna meet w/ our awesome and wonderful human being lawyer and talk with him about legalistic questions. he's also the food not bombs lawyer. the gist will be around, how can we make this a project that will sustain peoples' incomes? would we want to convert to a worker coop and what would that entail? would we want to pay people? various questions that people have brought up. going to send pad (see below) to him prior to the conversation. we're going to pay him for 1hr of his time. hugely encourage people to put questions on the pad and show up! talk about how to make a sustainable project out of this in the long term.
    • sierk: where willl we meet?
    • jenny: probably here. besides legal and coop nonprofit law, his other foci are real estate, coop real estate. he went into law wanting to sue the police. found out he wasn't the best litigator, better suited to contract law.
  • follow up with nonprofit insurance alliance of california [jenny, sierk] - https://insurancefornonprofits.org/coverages/nonprofits-own/flat-rate-do/flat-rate-do-details/
    • jenny: sierk and i sat in on a webinar. they seem awesome. put in a request for a quote from them, need general liability prior to director's and officer's quote. they also have accident insurance coverage for, say, volunteers going up on rooftops. and they have a director's and officer's insurance flat-rate for volunteer run orgs--$600/yr (as compared to $7000/yr from other places).
    • sierk: important ot know that during these talks with insurance agencices, there's almost always things that make me suspicious, but I got very good vibes from this place. it's a non profit org, has lots of good processes for not overcharging places. i dont think you can get a more culturally attuned org than that.
    • leslie: traci got back to me and is going to talk them. hopefully quote by next week for general liability and directors and officers.
    • sierk: basically they offer every kind of insurance we might need. car, safety training, etc. etc. (sierk is in love)

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:
    • jenny: cable re-run at david & nicki's, very close to First They Came for the Homeless Camp, re-run the cable there after they mounted it a few weeks ago.
    • sierk: would someone be willing to drive some supplies out when we're out there?
    • jenny: there are also at least two businesses that own their buildings and rooftops
    • robb: where is our folding ladder (folds in 1/4ths)? nobody has seen it... :-/ don't know any other way to get on dave and nickie's roof. may need to buy another one.

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-4pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer: Mai
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:
  • sierk: a woman sent by Mitch Altman - asked about social networking and bullying

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • notes from hacking working group that heppened before this meeting below
  • benny: worked on updating babeld, we have a plan moving forward
  • juul: worked on a script (meshifier) that could be worked on any debian system that will mesh-enable any device, would get anything on the mesh. Walking through getting the wifi detection working. Got someone who worked on the kernel to teach me. Also added to the mesh node database a debug mode, where the server will reply without actually taking an IP out of the pool


Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • jenny: outreach-wise, sent out an email to SOLSpace/Peacock Rebellian/Liberate 23rd Ave last week. They met last Tues but we haven't gotten any feedback so going to get in touch with them. See if we can do a node mount there in the next three weeks if they concur on hosting it. Security is their biggest concern. We offered to host a Cryptoparty

They are two blocks from the Village site. Over at 23rd and east 21th. near fruitvale/san pablo neighborhood

    • Also emailed with the director of the native health center, in the same area as Liberate 23rd Ave. She had sent a request for laptops to the laptops project. And they also offered to distro to community members — exploring a collaboration between us and them. They also own their building.

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Crypto party on the 17th? We should send out some stuff about
    • We should send out a newsletter before the 17th
  • Moving off github
    • Juul - Move to gitlab or try to self-host? I think not self-host cause we already host enough. Git lab does what we need. Can always switch from git lab to self-hosted.
    • sierk: think we should self-host - shouldn't rely on any corporate entity
      • juul: what if we change every repo 'we've moved off GitLab' -
        • sierk: gitlab is a dutch corporation - just moving the problem to the future. def should not rely just on git-anything
          • JUUL: gitlab less likely to be bought off
            • jehan: not necessarily
    • juul: let's research (see scuttlebutt discussion): %r/6bLB3kimrlHqOUKAgHqXFyrVLW90xLM0/9j6FsM1s=.sha256
  • Draft of Communications Handbook for sudomesh: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sY8w5bfM3rdLz2ODSJ201u1yvI5GlKjoqlXnLbx5VAY/edit#

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

  • jenny: sudomesh is opening account with awesome non profit bank that is really friendly. should be open tomorrow. people in finance wg can get cards. anyone in people's open can request to be a member of finance wg as long as current finance wg consents. i don't like being the only person who can pay for things. in the past, we've never paid for things from a bank account. usually it's been loans from members. trying to move away from this now that we have a pile of money from mozilla. none of the bank employees take any profit--the profit goes to the foundation, which invests in local businesses. omni is trying to work with them to consolidate mortgage. first time i've been in a bank and wanted to work there (almost). they also work with unincoporated associations.

Proposal: Cryptoparty collaboration

Please add any proposal needing consent from or action by the group below:

  • via Jenny: Some sudoers are organizing to reboot monthly Cryptoparties. Traditionally, they were held on 3rd Sunday. Proposal is to stagger them with 3rd Sunday BYOIs (eg, starting at 3pm) and outreach to node owners. First Cryptoparty June 17th (tho may start with just "training the trainers" and updating our handouts and other resources). https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Cryptoparty
  • jenny - in my experience a 1-1 ratio is best between trainers and trainees. and focusing on specific populations.
  • sierk - idea was to also make a section on the PON website -- make it part of what we do / what we're about.
  • jenny - part of the sudomesh
  • Consenso?
  • consenso!
  • eve - maybe uc school of journalism would be interested in getting security trained?

Proposal: Purchase Ladder

  • Let's buy a ladder for sudomesh! to be locked up in the sudomesh cage area
  • 15ft telescoping ladders that fold up for $300 - cant find any above 15' -
    • consenso on spending $400 on best ladder possible - plus lock?
      • consenso? yes

Discussion: Accounting WG

  • How should we set the scope of responsibilities and limitations on expenditures for those with credit/debit cards and purchasing abilities?
  • Review the discussion here from Accounting WG meeting on 29 May: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Accounting/29_May_2018
  • For example:
    • Require X signatures for purchases above $Y (e.g. X=3, Y=500)
    • Require consensus among a quorum of P% of the board for purchases above $Y.
    • Otherwise, just get a member of AWG to help you make the purchase. (e.g. P=75, Y=1000)
    • Transparency of all purchases and decisions
    • Proposal: Up to $500 each Accounting WG member can spend on the card without approval, with their discretion. Above $500, you need pre-approval from Accounting WG, above $2000 we need approval from 5 signatures/email consent from board members

Discussi on: Questions for Lawyer

  • A group of us will be meeting with Jesse on 12 June — what are some questions/issues that you would like raised with him?
  • via mai: I would like to raise questions about how a spin-off cooperative/collective would be established. I'd like to know the legal differences/pros+cons of a worker self-directed nonprofit, vs. worker cooperative vs consumer/member cooperative
  • https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/legalquestions
  • mai: people who are coming to meet w/ lawyer, let's meet an hour early to coordinate about chatting w/ lawyer

Action Items

  • schedule mozilla hackathon
  • buy bright LED viewable by webcame [jenny/marc]
  • poke lolspace about feedback (jenny)
  • scrounge up things to add to newsletter (everyone)
  • meet in a group and draft a security FAQ / put security info on the FAQ on the website (benny + ?)

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

Last Meeting Notes

  • link to previous meeting minutes

End of Meeting