Mesh/6 Mar 2018

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 06 March 2018 7:30pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
  • Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
  • Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
  • Next Sunday (5 mins)
  • Proposal X: (15 mins)
  • Discussion Micro-grant recipient plan plan: (5 mins)
  • Discussion next BYOI workshop status/plan (5 mins)
  • Action Items (5 mins)
  • Breakout Groups

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements

  • Icebreaker question: what did you accomplish this morning?
  • Grant, he or they, turned on meshnode database
  • Seth, he or they, spun up debian instance & got into tunneldigger
  • Sierk, I spent most of the day on email templates, css, table mark-up
  • Ben, he or they, wrote documentataion & went on a walk
  • robb he, setup virtual studio
  • Donald (probably jorrit), he/him went swimming
  • Thomas - navigated around the city, visiting from Kentucky
  • Lesley - thought about disabling debug logging, had no idea where it would be in code base

Meeting Roles

Check in on previous action items

Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:

  • Node mount owners' package - node owners' manual, exit survey, certificate, what to do next, contact info - did not work on it this past weekend...Benny was sick
  • Spec out gear for Richmond tower - Ben and anyone interested
    • Looked at getting edge routers (Marc said don't use edge routers) or just flashing a different router with our firmware.
    • We have one or two AirFibers that could work here.
    • Possibility of tower access near Urban Ore. Action item: Talk to Jake re: Peef
  • Check in with Dev and Doug re: electrical situation [grant]
    • Grant went this afternoon & it went awesome
    • Doug checked out electrical, recommended running conduit from junction box to back of house to power our gear & Dev's edgerouter.
    • Awaiting power situation to be resolved, at which point we'll install a box.
    • Southern chimney (where we can mount) has some loose bricks and only has access from one side. Fall arrest recommended.
    • Talked to neighbors further up the hill, Fred & Penny, with a small radio tower and good roof view. Can't use tower but maybe roof?
  • PON Newsletter: BYOI recap, Mozilla/NSF WINS grant, bugs, strategy meeting re-cap + survey, BYOI office hours [sierk & co]
  • Finalize Business Plan for Sudomesh Directors Insurance - Jenny, Mai,
  • Ping Mitar re: coops (Jenny [cc sierk, mai, grant, ?])
    • not done, will do tonight!
  • Ping Ed re: scouting on Sunday [sierk]
    • Ed was not available this Sunday, Sierk will try to pin him down for a Sunday with a couple/few weeks notice.
  • Print sign up sheets for BYOI Office Hours (Benny) Benny is out of commission rn
  • Organize firmware/software roadmap meetup {Blake} -
  • Create an instagram account for PON [mai]
    • mai: done https://www.instagram.com/peoplesopen -- I'll dig through the photos we have on our shared drive(s) and post some more later this week. If anyone has thoughts about who we should follow for visibility purposes. Login deets are in passpack.
      • add login to passpack? Done! - Mai
  • figure out comrades w/ the net neutrality protest [judy] - no new info
  • buy all the things [jenny]
    • done! should receive >>>all the things<<< next week! :)

Updates & Reportbacks

Bugs/Technical

Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos

  • Jorrit - why is there alot of effort on makenode but not on patches
    • Grant _ wrote one & wants others to write others...Marc has been busy & Grant cant push to network
      • Jorrit - we need to remove the single point of failure (human) Max B & Alex are also able to push to the entire network
      • juul launched bionet in the lab today, should be recovered by next week/this wknd
      • Jorrit - Max B recently pushed & we should add new active members able to push, not take any away.
    • Jorrit will test Grant's patch
      • jnny: to github or node-db? firmware, exit node, etc... general patches
        • on github or meshnode-database?? on whatever needs changes...any/all/both
          • jnny: still unclear. if you mean github i can make people owners of the org if that's helpful. don't have access to meshnode-database
          • exit node access & deploying patches to existing devices/ssh to nodes // gotcha, tx | np*
      • Lesley feels having a group work on education/outreach & one on code in small breakout groups
      • Ben - codebase hasn't been updated much and could use some love to make it easier for new folks to pick up.
        • Yorrit - many successful codebases have few or less coders
        • Ben - Sure. My remark was more to the point of "it doesn't look like this has gotten much attention from the group, and we could iterate on it as a means of exposing folks to the codebase."
        • Sierk agrees that patches need to be able to go out. If it's clean code it's easy to patch. we need to roll out patches like security issues

Node whisperer nominations / tally

Node Mounts & Outreach

Node Mounts Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/DtzngKaM/49e1c21fc9da199fcdeceb8623b5117a/node-mounts

  • Return to Jeff's @ 4 on Sunday.
  • Dev's place
    • Doug looked at electrical, Dev's will install new conduit and outdoor outlets to power out equipment
    • we just need to provide an electrical box for our equipment, two PoEs and a home node
    • will take ~2 weeks to finish electrical, will reconnect then
  • possible mount with James Allgood near Oakland Zoo
    • delayed until after Almaeda
  • prepare for Alameda visitors on 3/18
    • Amos White and 4-5 people want to be trained to hold their own workshop (planning to use BYOI office hours 3/11 to prep videos/ materials)

Communications & Events

Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events

  • Newsletter content
  • See Mai's notes above (Mai will/might add content to newsletter pad tomorrow?)
    • mai: Seems like we have a solid draft. Others should read it over for any missing info, typos and such.

Internal Logistics / Finance

Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms

Next Sunday

Node Mount

We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays

  • Next Sunday's mount:

Office Hours

We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours

  • Next Sunday's volunteer:
   ** mai: unless someone else is stoked to do it I'm happy to volunteer.
  • Notes from this past Sunday's session:

Proposal: Finance Expenditures

  • Mikrotik Wireless Wire - $198 for a pair, https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire - referred by Preston (monkeybrains)
    • for ~100-200m links, right? not p2p ~5 miles... mebbe the airfibers? and powerbeams as backup link?
    • yes, they're meant for short, high bandwith links, a lot cheaper than a pair of airfibers
      • ah, so best used between, say, Diane's and another location in the hills, or between extender nodes that can see the Archive tower? hella cheap ++
  • Ubiquiti Edge Router (qty 2) - $35 0 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22Z-000K-00001
    • some sort of gigabit capable router for Internet Archive mount
    • n750 is gigabit capable?
    • (WiFi 300-450 Mbps) hmmm (4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 2 USB ports) so might be useful for extender node <-> home node <-> extender node relay:
  • Ben - We'll need gigabit POE injectors for the airfibers if we don't have them; I'll check and shop around if needed.
    • Rob- do we have any gigabit POE injectors?
      • jnny: probably they were included with the AirFibers (giant boxes up on mesh shelves), check there? (WIll do, thanks)


Proposal: Exit Node Donation Program

A. has suggest (disconnected - etherpad keep kicking me out).

    • remote-jnny: Hmm, wondering if this is going to be a suggestion to have buckets for donating to particular extender (oops, misread) node locations a la Guifi?: https://guifi.net/budgets/3671/list/Open
  • The idea would be that you could donate an exit node, run it yourself, or have someone else run it, could be on digital ocean, basically a recurring donation but with more of a sense of ownership +1
    • a) get people to run exit nodes themselves. b) make ecommerce site with diff items to donate to procurement (t-shirts, stickers, exit node sponsorship)

Triage/Clean-up of Github issues on active repos

  • we should do some issue management, what's still a problem, what's no longer relevant, what has been abandoned. (50+ open issues looks intimidating!)

Action Items

  • Finish newsletter for this week [sierk, mai?
  • Start draft of proposal for workshop/presentation @ AMC [jnny, grant,
  • meshnode-database & exit node access [juul] / get more people to go through Node Whisperer program [jorrit]
  • finish biz plan & budget & send to insurance broker [jnny]

Breakout Groups

At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.

  • Newsletter content writing/editing
  • Bug spring cleaning session

Last Meeting Notes

End of Meeting