I guess there's a huge pile of doors in sudoroom, with a note that says
"keep at least 25 of them here" or something.
does "here" mean sudoroom? or can i move them downstairs into the library
or something? I want to put the robot where they are.
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Rabbit <rabbitface(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently there was a controversy at Gittip which resulted in a project to
> fork or rebuilding it with better governance structures and more focus on
> the needs and safety of marginalized users.
> They're working on bylaws and legal structures for this, and would
> appreciate advice or connections to people with advice. Talk to them in IRC
> at #atunit, particularly @adrienneleigh, or send me resources to pass along.
> Sudoroom may be one of the largest users of this site when it launches, like
> we are now with Gittip.
Yes! I really hope that the Sudo community can put our weight behind
this project. It is an extremely important one, and has AMAZING
I'm planning to rent a Hard Surface Cleaner from Home Depot this evening
(If I can figure out how to transport it), to clean the concrete floor in
Only $48/day, plus cleaning solution! I'm planning on renting it for a full
day, so once we're done with the CCL floor, Sudo, BackSpace or FNB might
want to borrow it to clean their concrete floors as well. Much easier than
Is there anyone who can help me get this thing from Home Depot in Oakland,
between 6 and 7 this evening?
I hope this wont seem weird to formally announce this, but I decided
tonight that if I am gonna attend any meeting, I am going to attend the
whole meeting all the way through to its initially-slated /
official ending-time, or I will just not attend. I decided it is just too
disrespectful to others to hop in and out of meetings before they are
slated to be finished, even if it is for other, equally pressing omni
business (which has, in every case I can think of, been the only reason I
have ever felt compelled to do so.)
Therefore I respectfully ask anyone that feels I personally need to step
away to attend to something else or answer a query, or even wants a quick
sidebar on somethin at a given merting, simply not ask but wait until the
meeting is done - barring of course some sort of all-out emergency.
By the same token, if a meeting runs over its running time, I may have
to leave that meeting at some point thereafter - and I sincerely hope that
no one at that extended meeting will be offended if I do so at that point -
I encourage others to try this model with me, which I probably should have
been following all along. Honestly, I am really not the best multitasker in
the world (as I am sure this is already readily apparent to everyone
anyhow), so I dont know why I tried to attempt otherwise.
I hope this doesn't seem narcissistic or anything to announce publicly - as
if its sooo important somehow - but I just want to make sure moving
forward, that no one is offended if I have to defer talking to em (or
otherwise engage with another matter) right away whilst I am still in a
meeting, or have to leave a meeting that is running over.
Love to all,
I have been thinking about making some legs for turning those hollow core
doors into tables when needed.
I came across this recently: *http://www.thefloydleg.com/story-of-the-leg/
<http://www.thefloydleg.com/story-of-the-leg/>* and thought.. we could make
something like that!!
I only have some rudimentary soldering skills, but I'd really like to learn
more heavy duty welding / metallurgy. Anyone here have experience with that
Anyone interested in working on a project like this with me? Not
necessarily tomorrow, but in the not-too-distant future?
If anyone can help - helllla early - this is muy importanto! thanks
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Jenny Ryan*
Date: Friday, July 25, 2014
Subject: [omnilogistics] Call for early birds! 7am caravan dump run
Cc: Rikke Rasmussen, "J.C. Cooper"
Thanks to everybody who helped load the truck tonight with all the Omni
detritus! And extra thanks to David K (who spent hours literally
demolishing the heavy wooden furniture) and Rikke (who brought her box
truck and coordinated, somehow, everything fitting perfectly like a game of
box truck tetris).
But! We need to make the dump run _tomorrow morning_ as Rikke and JC have
prior obligations to help with the Noisebridge Reboot  and need the
truck empty by noon! We will be meeting at 7am outside of the Omni with an
extra vehicle for a few folks who can help us unload the truck at the dump.
Or you can meet us at the commercial waste dump, which is 3 blocks from the
Coliseum BART stop.
If you can meet at this time (7am tomorrow/today), please contact me before
6:30am. We'll be checking with the dump at 6am to ensure they will allow an
un-dumping vehicle to enter the premises, or if they will voluntarily help
"Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories."
"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it."
"To define is to kill. To suggest is to create."
Can anyone at Omni block off the loading zone and the space behind it for
the truck that's coming to remove the debris situation outside Omni on 48th?
Can I also get all available hands to help load the truck up from at least
8pm on tonight? I know the OOC meeting will probably run late, but we need
some bodies to help load up that truck. If we do not load up the truck, we
risk getting cited for obstruction and that could be several hundred
dollars at this point considering the amount of stuffs.
I've arranged with J.C. & Ricky to bring their box truck to Omni in a
couple hours so we can do a dump run. They will have to be remunerated. I
don't know what it will be but it should be under $600 total. John had
scheduled with Waste Management for bulky pickup (which was also going to
be expensive due to the amount and type of stuff) but they flaked for 2
days, then said they can't take ceiling tiles, or broken-up furniture, or
actually pretty much anything we have out there, so it will have to be
hauled. Other options like a dumpster was explored but this was really
expensive and we would not get it for days (at least $750 + cost of parking
obstruction permit from city = over ~$1000). I don't anticipate the cost of
hauling exceeding $600 but this will have to be assessed by Ricky, JC et al
with the truck.
Note the cost of disposal will mostly be on john but partly on OOC. That's
because John doesn't think he should have to pay for e.g. the disposal of
the ceiling tiles from the bookstore-cafe (that collective should pay for
that), or actually, the extra 3 big wardrobes removed from CCL/Sudo room,
or of our garbage that we did not put out on Tuesday, etc. The exact
portion we are responsible for needs to be negotiated a bit with John (I
don't think this will not be a big deal), but re: the wardrobes for
example, as John expressed, since Sudo took 3 of them and we are keeping
one in the ballroom (4 total), we are also responsible for the other 3 we
don't need - it was a take them all or take none sort of deal (yar can
perhaps speak better to this). So who is responsible for what on our side
will need to be sorted out, I figure our responsibility is about 30%. We
had probably 7-8 bags of garbage and many, many bags of ceiling tiles, the
wardrobes were big and heavy, etc.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Here's the tl;dr version of tonight's meeting. Thanks for everyone who
showed up, paid attention and participated. We had a lot to wade through!
* OMNI ACCESS: More caution around access to the Omni during these
transitionary summer months is needed. If you open the door for
someone, make sure you either know they're a member, or if they're a
guest, take accountability for them. Give tours. Perhaps end the tour
back at the door if you feel that's wise.
** Suggestions to the issue of access included signage both outside
the door (that we're not yet open to the public) and inside (process
for dealing with visitors); designated 'open hours' or a 'Newbie
Night' with designated greeters; clarification/accessibility of
membership list, otherwise non-members should be sponsored by a member
* CONSENSUS WROUGHT: Sudo Room agrees to pay into Omni's standing
funds for July (we would otherwise not have had to pay rent for July,
but decided to contribute to the Omni Collective's near-term
resilience and operating expenses. (10 unanimous yays)
* CONSENSUS WROUGHT: Sudo Room agrees that the Omni should pay our
lawyer ($816), though the larger bill's invoice should be documented
transparently prior to consensus. (10 unanimous yays)
* OMNI VOTING PROCEDURE PROPOSAL: A general sense expressed that the
current proposal is overly simplistic and dangerously susceptible to
manipulation by interested parties who block a vote to turn it toward
majority rule. Suggestion that the Omni delineate the kinds of
decisions it makes and how to go about voting for them (for example,
Sudo Room's process calls for a 2/3 majority vote in conflict
resolution procedures, full consensus for changes to our Articles, etc;)
* CONSENSUS PROPOSAL: "If the Omni Oakland Collective or any of its
member collectives bans a person from its space for reasons of
safety,that person is immediately and automatically banned from
(10 unanimous yays by 8 members and 2 provisional members)
* NEW MEMBERS:
** Liz finally voted in after 2 weeks without quorum! hooray!!
** Whitney: Civil engineer, working on a public art piece, working
with electronics, want to learn, contribute, share tools; working on a
property access gate and wants to learn more about hardware and
wiring. Daniel says Whitney has shown his interest in Sudo.
** Torrie Fischer: Ohioan, started Synhack hackerspace. Came to Bay
Area and was inspired by Noisebridge to start Synhack. C, python,
linux, machinist, construction; helping w/ noisebridge reboot; wants
to participate in a variety of communities. Torrie helped a member
** TJ Mosely: Electrical engineer, nuclear engineering. Interested in
power systems, embedded systems. Based in Oak / San Leandro, etc;
wants to build a doggie treadmill. TJ volunteered today for hours on
* CONFLICT RESOLUTION: Accusation that Phil is complicit with state
surveillance. This is not necessarily a two-party situation, as Daniel
is speaking for the safety and livelihood of others. Call for solidarity.
** Conflict Steward: Whitney
** Mediator: Hol
Notes recorded for posterity at:
"Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories."
- -Laurie Anderson
"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
"To define is to kill. To suggest is to create."
- -Stéphane Mallarmé
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM, <hol(a)gaskill.com> wrote:
> i'm curious how many meetups we have regrouped at 4799 after the move. i
> noticed js meetup is now happening at a bar about a block from our old spot.
Yeah, and the Oakland Privacy Working Group seems to be meeting at Impact Hub.
I think it's partly the disruption of the move, and partly the
location. 2141 was more centrally located in the city.
We should accept that some groups will decide other places are better
for them, and find the new groups that do want to meet at our new
space. There will be a lot of them!
> i hope
> we find a solid footing in the new neighborhood and keep welcoming new
> members and visiting groups a priority. cheers.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 6:28 AM, Cere Misc <cere.misc(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> HUGE shout out to all the people who helped but up and clear stuff
> from the CCL side of the Bocci room during the last couple of days!
> Now that we have room, CCL will continue cleaning and have a very
> active moving-stuff-in session on Friday eve! Yay! Noise will
> happen. Please schedule accordingly.
This is exciting! Yay! I can't wait to see the new CCL space.