On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Whitney Lawrence <whitneyel3(a)gmail.com> wrote:
I'll be spearheading the 501c(3) efforts. I am
going to need all the
documents related to Sudo, tax documents, official filings to date, list of
assets and liabilities (COH/ recent bank statement, lease, etc.)
Additionally, to avoid re-doing work already done, I want to hear about any
and all efforts related to acquiring 501c(3) status.
Whitney I'm so happy you are doing this, thank you! I don't have all
the documents but I hope some history will help. There is some info on
the wiki here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/FAQ#What.27s_your_legal_structure.3F
- starting sometime in 2012, Sudoroom was just some individuals
operating with a "DBA". Our bank account and leases were all in their
- In November 2013 we became a CA Nonprofit with a bare minimum
articles of incorporation (
) and a board of
directors ( https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Board
- In December 2013 we got two grants of around $5k each, from
Rackspace and Southern Exposure.
- In early 2014 we finally got a credit union account in our name and
started depositing our Gittip, checks, etc there.
- In June 2014 we signed our Omni lease. IANAL but I think legally
this was Sudoroom's first lease. Our previous lease at 2141 was never
in the corporation's name as such.
For tax filings, I suggest you reach out to our treasurer Max Klein
(copied in this email). I know that he filed our taxes for 2013, at
I dare say there is not much danger of duplicating work, as we have
tended thus far to do the bare minimum required and no more. :)